Encouraging baby?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tired_mumma15

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

I have a 4 mth who is huge (4.6kg at birth, and 7.5 now, plus head on 98th percentile argh) who is only just starting to put up with tummy time. He only rests on his arms, whereas I remember with my first (who was an average weight!) She would lay on her back and turn her head around to try to roll. How do I encourage him to at least open his hands and push up on them, instead or just resting on his arms? Worried he will be delayed :(

#2 Beanette

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

Have you got things for him to look at while he's up on his tummy? Anything with a face on it is great for babies, or a baby mirror for them to look at their own face. My kids also liked having the baby gym set up in front of them so they could watch the things dangle from it. You can also lie down on the floor facing him, making faces. Anything to encourage him to keep lifting his head and looking around, that will strengthen his back and neck.

It's so hard when they are big with massive heads, my DS had a head off the chart (will need to wear an adult sized beanie next winter!) and would struggle so much.

#3 Lallalla

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

Having a big head is hard! My oldest had a head off the charts and a tiny body - she absolutely hated tummy time. These days our biggest issue is finding hats that fit. She’s 5 and wearing the largest size her primary schools hat comes in...

It did slow down her getting moving but she was still within the (later end of the) normal range. I think just keep trying and don’t necessarily expect him to do it for as long at a time as your other child did. I used to get her tummy time minutes up bit by bit during the day - at every nappy change i’d put her on her tummy for 15-30 seconds and tried to gradually increase the time.

#4 Hands Up

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

We had a similar issue. I would turn him over during nappy changes and crouch down and chat and make faces. I tried to also do at least one other short time (a couple of minutes) each awake period. Both of mine sat really early so I had to get very proactive at around the five month mark, with a lot of tummy time for myself!

#5 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

My son is 4.5 months and he loves to sit perched looking over my shoulder. This is a version of tummy time because they are still strengthening those same muscles.

Incidently I don't think 7.5 is that huge.  DS is 7 kilo and that was right in the middle.

#6 marple

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

I agree with pp that over the shoulder is very similar ( and so scrummy) so do that a lot. Also, when on the floor put something fun in front of them to crawl towards and look at.

I wouldn't worry about the rolling but speak to your ECH nurse if you are.
My 4.6 kg boy walked pretty early but it really makes no difference in the long run.
If you want to encourage walking , then after they are happy standing holding your hands, then swap one of your hands for something like  a duplo block, then the other one.

There really is no advantage to walking early though so don't  stress

#7 Pip_longstockings

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

My son was a similar weight at birth and similar at 4.5 months. He hated tummy time but by 7ish months he spent most of his time on his belly and loved it, so much so he didn't sit unsupported til over 10 months. He was crawling well before he could sit.

He is now a very clumsy child but also very good at sports. Go figure.

#8 dreamweaver80

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

My son was 4.2 at birth and while he was only around 6 at 4 months, his head was (and still is) huge! He wasn't particularly interested in tummy time and we admittedly weren't very diligent with it. I mean who wants to hear their baby screaming if not necessary?! He loved pushing off our chests and shoulders and always had great strength pretty much from birth.
He hit all the milestones on time if not early, sitting up at 5ish months, crawling at 8 and walking quite confidently at 11 months. He's 19mos now and is very strong and active and runs everywhere. I'd confidently say his inability to really embrace tummy time didn't have any negative effects on his development.
I know I'm biased but big-headed bubs are the cutest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.