Next steps for 3yo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tired_mumma15

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:24 PM

I have a just turned 3yo who can recognise and name all upper/lower case letters, count to 10, knows her colours and some shapes...in particular does anyone have any ideas for teaching sounds? Should know this (am a teacher) but havent taught this young!
Or is she learning too much for her age?

#2 PatG

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about teaching her anything. Just live and play and read with her.

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Agree, just live life around her rather than lesson plans. Read to her. Even just put a finger on the word. That's plenty.

As an example, my DS learned to both tell the time and add and subtract time at the same age simply because he wanted to know how much iPad time he had left and how long before bedtime! I explained and showed him how it worked since he wanted to know but never set out to teach it to him as my idea.

Similarly he learned quite a sophisticated colour palette to name the colours of his matchbox cars!

My nephew also at the same age taught himself how to read and Google some words (Thomas, train, lego... you get the idea!).

I'm not saying deny her learning as it sounds like she loves it, rather, live life around her and follow her interests. Including stopping when she has had enough!

#4 Mmmcheese

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

She needs to understand the purposes of reading, writing and counting so they have meaning and she develops the urge to understand. That will place her in a great position for learning for life. So reading together, writing shopping lists, cards, letters and stories together. Singing nursery rhymes and songs help to build up an understanding of rhyme etc.

#5 Zeppelina

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

tired_mumma15, on 21 September 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

I have a just turned 3yo who can recognise and name all upper/lower case letters, count to 10, knows her colours and some shapes...in particular does anyone have any ideas for teaching sounds? Should know this (am a teacher) but havent taught this young!
Or is she learning too much for her age?
She's not learning too much for her age if she has a genuine interest in learning it - in other words, if she is leading and you are following. My DS was like this with numeracy, my DD is like it with literacy - everything they learnt at that young age was from within a context where they showed interest for whatever reason. They asked, we answered, iykwim. But if you're doing it because you think you have to teach her this stuff before she gets to kinder/school, then don't stress, she'll learn it when she's ready.

Having said that, if she's showing an interest and/or a strength in letters/sounds, then for a next step I would probably gently introduce rhyme (through nursery rhymes, for example, or Dr Seuss books), and see how she goes with understanding the concept of sounds that are the same versus sounds that are not the same.

#6 tired_mumma15

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

Zeppelina, on 21 September 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

She's not learning too much for her age if she has a genuine interest in learning it - in other words, if she is leading and you are following. My DS was like this with numeracy, my DD is like it with literacy - everything they learnt at that young age was from within a context where they showed interest for whatever reason. They asked, we answered, iykwim. But if you're doing it because you think you have to teach her this stuff before she gets to kinder/school, then don't stress, she'll learn it when she's ready.

Having said that, if she's showing an interest and/or a strength in letters/sounds, then for a next step I would probably gently introduce rhyme (through nursery rhymes, for example, or Dr Seuss books), and see how she goes with understanding the concept of sounds that are the same versus sounds that are not the same.

Yep, that's exactly what I do. We make it fun, and she's always wanting to read books together, play games etc. So much th hat after 1 reading she 'gets' how those repetitive books go (e.g. We're going on a bear hunt).

Can't believe how much they grow in a year!

#7 Kattikat

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

Rhyme, syllables, word play, eye spy using sounds rather than letter names... Reading eggs is really good too

#8 LucyGoose

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

My DS liked letter songs/phonics songs.  A says ‘a’ for Apple,  type songs.   We’d put them on in the car and he learnt all his sounds easily.  

#9 Jenflea

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:51 PM

There are a few Phonic Songs on Youtube, including one that does the Australian/English version with Zed instead of Zee.

It's been a few years but DD loved them at 4 or so and her teacher played it in the morning at FYOS on the smartboard as the kids were coming in and getting settled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.