Electricity bill - is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Sabine75

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

Hi

I need a sanity check please :huh:   - 3bedroom house, myself and DS (teenager) and our electricity bill for the last 3 months was $500 - Yikes.  Is this normal for 2 people - gas heater, gas oven, gas hot water.  Just wondering if my rates are high or we are doing something wrong or that is what it costs?  

thanks -
Sabine

#2 JustBeige

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Ah no;  It might be the state you are in, but I have 4 people (2 teens who have left school so home the majority of the day) + pool and ours only comes in at $700 per quarter.

I also have gas cooking + hot water.

In summer it blows out but we expect that as we run the AC a lot.

I would think they have done a 'guesstimate'

or you have someone that is sucking power when you arent home. - powerboards; doubled up powerpoints; various electrical items left on standby or charging

#3 amaza

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

It's too hard to answer that question with the info you have given.

How many kw did you use? What are your rates?

My bill is always at least double yours but I live in SA and have reverse cycle refrigerated air con (not used nearly as often to justify our bills tbh). Appliances and amount that you are home all contribute.

#4 Sabine75

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

thanks - hmm it says 13.1 kWh use per day - not sure if that is normal or not.  One fridge, one PC - usual laptops , iPhones charging,

#5 IamOzgirl

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

Does your bill have a “your usage compared to similar dwellings” in it?

Seems normal to me. My bill is around 350 -400 for a 2 bed apartment.

Edited by IamOzgirl, 22 September 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#6 lazycritter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

We have gas heating, gas hotplate, gas water, so our winter electricity is really low compared to our gas.

3 kids two adults.  Three/four bedroom house. Out last bill for  2months is 350 or so.

#7 AliasMater

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

Ours are around $950 per quarter in winter and $1200 per quarter in summer.

We have a 3.5kw solar system, but run 2 large fridges and a pool. No heating in winter at all as it doesn't get cold here but in summer, air cons run.

#8 IamtheMumma

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

I'd have a closer look at your electricity use. Mine was between 6.33 (winter) - 8.04 (summer with aircons going) for myself, teenager and child. Everything powered.

I did buy 4.5 star energy efficient appliances in the fridge and the washer. But we have 3 ipads, 2 iphones and 2 laptops charging frequently/daily.

Edit - bills were $250-300 per quarter.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 22 September 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#9 jayskette

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

For gas, it's fairly low! (Very high if it is all electricity)

#10 newmumandexcited

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

Mine was 500 for 2a 3 children under 5. Three bed house. Ducted heating, dryer sometimes. Gas cooking. I was complaining at work and a guy was telling me his was 700 for he and his wife and a 3 month old in a two bed unit. Electricity is so expensive!

Edited by newmumandexcited, 22 September 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#11 littlepickle

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

We are in WA - $445 for 3 months. 4 by 2, swimming pool pump and garden lights. 2 adults, 2 teenagers. Gas heating, cooking and hot water system.
Are you using a clothes dryer?

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Seems a little bit high, but not over the top.

Turn everything off and watch your electricity meter, see how much is being used when no one is using anything. That’s a good start.
even gas  heating needs power for the fan.

Electric oven? Air con? Clothes dryer? They can all add up.

#13 Chocolate Addict

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

Seems about right. I run a business from home using machinery, 2 adults, 1 teen, 2 fridges and a freezer, 3 tv's and loads more and it is around that in winter. We also have solar panels.

Our gas bill doubled this year but we had refrigerated cooling/heating installed last Autumn so it is our first bill with the new system and my elderly mother feels the cold so it is on more than usual these days.

#14 qak

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

It seems a bit high to me, you should check if you can get better tariff rates per kWh there (ie a better plan). Also look at what the split is between daily fee and the tariff.

#15 lulu85

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

Have you also checked your plan? When I moved I had to go onto a plan where pricing varies based on time of day (usage in peak period is multiples of usage during off peak) so I’m now much more careful of when I do washing, use the dishwasher etc. My bill for 2 people (3 bed semi) is usually $250-$300 per quarter which shows on my bills as a little below average for 2 people.

#16 Nasty Poobah

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

It's on the high side for what you've got on electric but that does depend on your tariffs.

Check what you leave on standby -- turn as much as possible off at the wall -- televisions, computers etc. Anything that shows a light or has a digital dispay. I cut about 30% from my bill doing this a while back.

And especially printers! They are apparently an enormous user of electricity on standby.

#17 AliasMater

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:27 PM

I can't believe people are saying it is high. We haven't had a bill that low in we over 10 years. Possibly closer to 15. We only have 1 electricity provider/company- no choice. I wonder if that is the difference.

#18 HamsterPower

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

I also cannot believe people think that is high- our is much much higher and we have an energy efficient house.

I cannot recall ever having a bill close to that low. I think some states must be much cheaper for electricity than ours !

#19 newmumandexcited

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

When I talk to people around me, 500 seems not high not low to me. I’m also surprised.

#20 -Emissary-

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostAliasMater, on 22 September 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

I can't believe people are saying it is high. We haven't had a bill that low in we over 10 years. Possibly closer to 15. We only have 1 electricity provider/company- no choice. I wonder if that is the difference.

Depends on where you are and the mix of gas and electric. It does seem high for a 2 people household.  

3 people, 4 bedroom duplex here and our last electricity bill was an average of 18.89 kWh per day and came to $600 before pay on time discount. We just have electricity. We expect this bill to come in about $100 higher as we have been running the heater/air cons quite hard. We also have a induction cook top and dishwasher that gets used every night. Though washing only happens on the weekend (usually only two loads..) and we rarely use our dryer.

In the months we don’t run the air cons, that quarter is usually only $400.

Edited by -Emissary-, 22 September 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#21 Jenflea

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

Our last electricity bill (basically for winter) was $800, that's with solar hot water and double glazed windows, no dryer.
Summer is less though usually, maybe $500 or so.

#22 chicken_bits

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:06 PM

To me, that seems high. I've just checked my bill and over winter we were averaging 17.11kWh/day due to split system heating and use of dryer.

We pay monthly, but for the last quarter we paid approx $430.

I'd be looking at your rate and shopping around if you can.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

You need to compare rates in your distribution zone. What other people in other zones and states pay is a bit irrelevant. You can check out Energy Made Easy to get a better idea of whether your current plan sits.

#24 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Our last 3 monthly bill was $350 for 7.5kwh per day. 2A 2C in a 3 bed double brick insulated double glazed house. Gas cooking (but the oven still uses electricity for the light and fan), gas hot water, gas ducted heating (which still uses electricity for the fan). Lights are on longer over winter. We have a nearly 20 year old dryer that gets used a lot. The 2C are at school, one A is out at work, the other A is at home so uses heat/light all day. We have only 1 TV, 1 laptop that isn't used much, 2 phones. Fridge is medium sized and is under 7 years old. The dishwasher (under 7 years old) and washing machine (about 10 years old) are run most days.

Definitely look at all your appliances, and turn them off when not in use where possible. Look at your bill for the daily service rate and the usage rate. Do some shopping around to make sure you have the best rates.

Edited by Cheesy Sanga, 22 September 2019 - 03:20 PM.

#25 ~J_F~

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

That’s cheap to me.

Ours is about $800 in the winter quarters and $1300 in the summer quarters.

We are 4x2, pool with 1 adult and 3 kids here all the time and one adult here half the time.

It’s been similar wherever I have lived. Obviously dearer in winter months in southern states.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.