Kids activities

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

How many activities do your kids do, do you actively limit it?

DS is 5 and has weekly swimming, gymnastics and piano.  I already think that's a bit much, esp with fortnightly speech therapy and OT in the school holidays.  Gym and Piano are primarily to help with gross and fine motor skills deficiencies.  

He wants to go to scouts and karate as well, but I've said no for now.

#2 laridae

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

My eldest does taekwondo, swimming, gymnastics, cub scouts, ice skating and dancing.
My youngest does the same, except cub scouts, however she will start Joey scouts next year when she's old enough. She does occasional speech therapy too but not regularly.

They are both very active kids and nothing seems to tire them out.
DH takes them to taekwondo - it's at their school so picks them up from after school care and takes them there. It's a 30 min class, they are in the same one.
Swimming (30 mins, separate classes, same day) we do straight after school. Scouts is across the road from the pool and straight after swimming. It goes for 1.5 hours.
DD2 does gymnastics on a morning she's not at school (preschool so she goes 3 days a week), 1 hour. DD2 does it on an afternoon after school, 2 hours.
Dancing and iceskating they both do on a Saturday, back to back. Same class for dancing (45 mins), different for iceskating but it's on at the same time (20 min class, with 2 hours total on ice time) - sometimes they ask to stay for the public session on next too but I don't let them.
Most of the classes are just casual though, so it doesn't matter if they don't turn up, and if they don't feel like going they don't. Only gymnastics and swimming are booked classes. Scouts is too I guess but it's just a yearly fee and it's pretty low so she can skip that if she wants too.

Sounds like a lot, but is only 7 hours for the eldest, 5 for the youngest.  Plenty of kids will do that for one activity. They have nothing on 2 days after school and Sundays are always free. So they get downtime too. Luckily they are happy to do the same things and everything is really close to us, so our travel time is minimal.

Edited by laridae, 23 September 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#3 StartledFlamingo

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

My 7 yo does swimming one afternoon and tae kwan do on a Saturday. The 4 yo does swimming and occasional speech therapy.

My kids are in child care/ out of school care 4 days per week and they need plenty of time just hanging around at home, it's how they recharge. Also, we like our own time too!

#4 kimasa

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

2 at a time is what our budget allows.

#5 BornToLove

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

DD is 9 and has lessons in music, swimming, gymnastics and skating. Music is 2x a week, the others are all once a week for 45-90 minutes. IMO, for her and our family situation, DD is doing one activity too many.

For several reasons, we are looking to mix things up next year so her activities better suit her and us.  She will continue with music lessons but considering other physical activities that better suit her and her skill set. Interest to hear what other kids her age are doing.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

I suck at saying no, at the moment they do heaps.

One does acro, jazz, competition gymnastics, trampolining & summer soccer is starting up in a few weeks

Another does acro, trampolining and summer soccer

The youngest does acro, trampolining and summer soccer and is contemplating starting up comp gymnastics like her sister.

My bank account is hurting but they're happy and they're active and I have the time to get them there so.... they're only young once I guess!!

#7 LucyGoose

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

My 8 and 9 year olds do 3 activities each.   They also are in the school choir which doesn’t cost.
I also have a 4 yr old that does swimming.
It’s such a juggle.  Both time and financial.  
Yes we limit it.  

#8 Mmmcheese

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

We do swimming, Auskick in winter and guides. She has music lessons through the school at this stage. There's so much available for kids these days, it's a bit hard to narrow it down sometimes!

#9 Fourteenyears

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

My daughter (10) does gymnastics.  We just got an email putting her training hours up to 19 hours a week.

I found my NO!   We’re going to keep it to a (deep breath) manageable fifteen and a half hours.

She also does scouts and music lessons.

Obviously, with such a time consuming activity, I do try to limit things because I believe in spare time.     For most of the year she also had a school dance thing that took place after school once a week.

My hills to die on are:

- there has to be time for scouts (as long as she keeps wanting to do it) as I see it as the activity with the most long term benefits.

- there has to be at least two days a week that have no regular extracurricular activities (this includes one full weekend day).

- there has to be the flexibility to attend birthday parties and special occasions and scout camps and whatnot.

- if she seems overtired, something goes.

We use school holidays to try different things.  I don’t want her to miss out on other stuff because she has spent her childhood in the gym!

Edited by Fourteenyears, 23 September 2019 - 08:11 AM.

#10 Mooples

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

Ds1 is almost 4, he does swimming and soccer. He’s also in fortnightly speech therapy so we can’t commit to another activity on that day. With 2 days of kinder as well that’s all we can fit in around my work. I’d do another activity with him if we had the time.

Ds2 is 1.5, he is in swimming and we go to playgroup on our day together while ds1 is at kinder. Again I’d do more with him if I had the time. I think he’d love another sporty activity or baby music class.

For us time is the factor rather than money.

#11 LozS

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:47 AM

My 8 year old does soccer, swimming and ice skating as well as instrumental music and choir at school.

My 5 year old does swimming, gymnastics and ice skating and has just started choir at school.

It’s hectic through winter while soccer is on - two training sessions and one game per week - but we use the six months off to catch our breaths and actually get to do weekend stuff.

#12 BeAwesome

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:56 AM

DD11 - musical theatre, taekwondo (x2 week), singing, guitar and at school violin, choir.  

DD7 - cheerleading (x2), swimming (x2) and at school speech & drama and fife

They're both at the limit time and money for outside school activities, and they each have 2 or 3 afternoons during the week and both weekends after  lunch with nothing on, so they still get plenty of free time.

#13 just roses

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

DS12: 4 x 1.5hr sessions of swimming, 1 x piano lesson (during school hours at school), 1 x running session after school.  

DD9: 3 x 1hr sessions of ballet/dance, 2 x 45min sessions of swimming, choir (one morning a week before school), 1 x running session after school.

DS has three free afternoons during the week (most of his swimming is in the morning and on Saturday morning) while DD only has one afternoon free a week (although most of her activities are short and she has very little homework).

Also, while DH and I both work full-time, we are able to structure our work days so he drops off every morning and I pick up every afternoon. So between activities (which are all five minutes away) we are able to spend a lot of time at home.

#14 amdirel

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

No I don't limit it really, however I'm the only driver so I have to be able to physically do fit it in to the schedule.
Also with dancing, DD does 10 hours, the fees are killing me, so I've said NO to her requests for more classes next year. Actually I haven't said no as such, I've said yes, when you get a job to pay for the extra classes, you can do it.

DS1 does venturer scouts, and taekwondo. He teaches taekwondo twice a week too.

DD does all the dancing.

DS2 does tennis twice a week and next term will start saturday comp, scouts, and he's in 3 bands. He also goes to the gym once a week, he'd go more if he had time but teen gym has very restricted hours unfortunately. DD will occasionally join him at the gym.

#15 gracie1978

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Ok now I feel mean, I might tell him he can do Joeys next year, maybe after he is settled in school.
He can't go just yet, because I'm pretty sure they have to attend school.

If he wants to do a martial art it'll involve dropping gymnastics.

#16 Mmmcheese

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

Edited by Mmmcheese, 23 September 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#17 flowermama

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

DD1 does competitive gymnastics and has a weekly violin lesson. She might pick up choir again next year, free and before school. Gymnastics is 14.5 hours a week so I've said no to anything else! DD2 does swimming and art classes. She'll probably do choir next year as well and wants to try netball.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

My son does scouts that is enough. (went through from Joeys)

we check every term and he still wants to do it, we said as he is going to be in Y7 next year we will have to see how it goes but he gets so much from it we will do anything to keep it going as much as he still wants to go.

He started Joeys as close to his 5th birthday as possible. If he had a burning desire to do more we would consider it but is yet to do so

Edited by seayork2002, 23 September 2019 - 09:05 AM.

#19 Rubyroo

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

16 year old swims 2 hours per week

14 year old Little Athletics, Athletics, and running training

11 year old Little Athletics, Athletics, running training, piano, volleyball, netball (just finished the season), and gymnastics (we cut back to 3 hours per week for the netball season)

6 year old swimming for 1/2 hour and Little Athletics

I'm not sure which hurts more, the driving or paying for it all!

#20 smilinggirl

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

Daughter (7) does gymnastics, swimming and baseball after school on Mon, Wed and Fri and that us enough for all of us.

She needs to have a days break in between just to be a kid and run around at home, play with toys etc. otherwise she is just too tired. I work part time in education do I do all the running around

#21 JomoMum

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

DS, nearly 6, does swimming all year round one evening a week. He does soccer during the season, which is one afternoon of trainings plus a Saturday morning game.

He’s just started karate in the soccer off season one afternoon a week, and we may or may not continue with this while soccer is on next year, depending on how he is going, and how the budget looks.

Edited by JomoMum, 23 September 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#22 CG123

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

WOW!!! My two boys (9 and almost 7) do swimming one evening a week and karate two evenings a week. And that’s enough for us (time and money wise).

ETA- the oldest has also done Aus Kick and Little Kickers in the past, as well as speech and OT before he started school.

Edited by CG123, 23 September 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#23 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

DS 6 just does swimming and fortnightly speech therapy. We have found a gymnastics club that does school holidays session as a book as you go, which gives a 2 hour session which gives some variety.

We are thinking about either a martial art or street dance but we absolutely not signing up for any team sports. Sorry not going there.

#24 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'm exhausted reading all that!

My 2 are in Little Athletics.  This is 1 Saturday morning plus 2 optional training sessions a week.  $150 each for the season

DD does violin just before LAths training starts (30mins in between).

She started golf a couple of months ago but it is just down the road from home and when we pick up her clubs today she will be able to walk there and back herself.  This is an investment in her relationship with her father.  It is no coincidence where we live.

Turns out Little Aths has been the same investment.  DH is a very fit 50year old.  The kids did cross country running with LAths over winter and DH ran alongside DS, who needed a support runner.  Last week DH did some training and is now a coach with the Little Ath club.  I am beyond thrilled.  DH was very involved with his eldest son's sport (he's now 30years old) but had found it hard to connect with our younger 2.

#25 Elsegundo

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

My nearly 8yo does joeys/transitioning to cubs only. He needs lots of downtime. We want to add swimming again but need the right teacher.  He has OT fortnightly too.

Nearly 5yo does taekwondo twice a week plus starting joeys shortly. We're considering adding tennis too. He would do everything if he could!  We did have a 2 activity rule but his dad is desperate for him to do tennis as he did it all through school and loved it, but it's kid's third choice.

Not sure if it counts as activity but we have friday screens and pizza. This is probably the only activity they would cry about missing!

Edited for spelling and clarity.

Edited by Elsegundo, 23 September 2019 - 10:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.