Activity tracker for 7 year old

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 BabyRed

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:17 AM

Looking for some advice from the experienced parents!
I have reached a parenting milestone - my eldest wants an expensive, pointless present for her 7th birthday, only because her friends have got one, and I don't know what to do.
Specifically, she wants a Garmin. Leaving aside the idea of whether 6 year olds need a Garmin, my DD is a reserved, book-ish child who avoids sports and complains when she has to run :) She also loses interest in things like any kid her age. Suffice to say I don't want to buy her an $100 Garmin, or even a $70 alternative. I thought there might be a cheap kids step counter out there that would suffice, but can't find one. And I am worried that she might be teased a bit (by one not-nice) friend if she turns up with a cheap imitation.
Any advice on what to do here? Any other electronics that maybe I could distract her with? She has her heart set on this Garmin and yet only barely knows the value of things.
Thanks.

#2 Mmmcheese

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

Ooh, I hear ya! My 8yo wants a Garmin too. A friend of mine got a good deal on a second hand one. I suspect it's the 'brand' aspect that's important given that they don't seem to do much else. (Embracing my cranky old lady and kids with their tech these days gripe ;) )

#3 missminx

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Second hand ones on eBay or Gumtree?

#4 ~J_F~

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

My kid loves her Garmin vívofit 2.

It has an adjustable band and you can buy different bands on eBay for a cheap.

She keeps track of her chores on it and her steps. She is always trying to challenge herself.

She is a kid who prefers to be inside and avoid sports but the watch definitely makes her more active.

ETA - being waterproof is a bonus. My DD showers daily in hers and swims most days too.

Edited by ~J_F~, 23 September 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#5 theboys2

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:02 AM

my 7 and 5 year old sons have them (xmas gift) and they love them and nearly a year on still use them and it has been only a postive experience for us.

They use it to be able to know when to be ready in the mornign to leave for school, whether they have "beaten" each other in steps (which only encourages more activity which i like)

The Garmin Vivofit jnr is a great watch i think. 100 yes is a lot, but it has lasted well and it is waterproof so i dont need to worry about remembering to take off or if they get wet it will break etc.

some of the cheaper versions wont be waterproof which i think will lead to not wearing it cuz its a hassle to take on and off.

#6 BeAwesome

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

My 7 year old has a Garmin Vivofit - we got it to set an alarm mid morning when she needed to take medication at school.  Lots of kids in her class seem to have them.  JB Hifi and the like seem to have them on sale regularly, and the price drops considerably on the old ones before the newer model comes out.

#7 Ayr

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

I think the garmin is the in thing for the kids of that age. My youngest went on about one for 6 months then got one on the 8th birthday... We had a cheap alternative but that didn't cut it because everyone else had a garmin...

#8 Charli73

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

My 7yo ASD had a Garmin but lost it after two days at school, we found the band at school but the watch part was gone. He isn’t good with looking after his own things so it’s our own fault. Lesson learnt.

My DD is now asking for one but I saw target had the cheaper kids fitbits on sale for $49 because they were bringing a new model out so maybe you could pick up and older model or a Garmin on eBay?

Depends what your child is like looking after their things also. I know my DD would bring it home everyday but my DS fiddles with things and has no awareness of leaving things around.

Edited by Charli73, 23 September 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#9 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

Think of it as a decent waterproof watch - that’s not an outlandish gift for a 7 year old.  

L

#10 CG123

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

I think they are fantastic!! My two boys have had the original vívofit jnr and vívofit jnr 2.

I preferred the original one as it had a better chore tracker and reward system, and it had facts about animals when they got their step goal each day.

#2 had a step challenge feature which was great as you could set a timer and see who got the most steps in that time. The facts were Marvel based and not as interesting IMO. I assume the others have Star Wars, Minnie Mouse and Disney princess facts.

I got the original ones a while back when Weetbix/sanitarium had their $5 off (up to $50 each person) promotion for Rebel sport. I got a member discount from Rebel when I signed up so they ended up being quite cheap.
I think it’s money well spent.

#11 Catzilla

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

I've got a Fitbit Ace 2 for 5 year old DD for Christmas.  I've got no experience with them though, so it remains to be seen how it will turn out.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

My 3 all have a kids garmin - they love them! So do I, I set them chores, its great :D

#13 123tree

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

My kids have ASD so have a Fitbit something that was very expensive. I bought them so reduce anxiety and put their appointments on there. I am truly shocked that they aren’t the only ones in their class to have expensive smart watches. Without their needs there is no way I could justify the cost. My kids are 11 and 9 and have had them just over a year.

The other kids at the school(and mine) are huge into them, compare steps etc. I don’t understand the fad but I don’t think it is going to be short lived.

Milo did have some cheap promo ones a little while back. Not sure what they are like.

#14 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

Sorry, but I'm another one who thinks the Garmin one is great - well worth the money if you can afford it.

DS is onto his second one, and has had it nearly 2 years.  He bought this one himself, as he wanted an upgrade after having his previous one quite a long time as well.  (He's 14).

#15 tiggy2

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

We have had a mix of MILO, Fitbit and Garmin.
I wouldn’t buy anything other than Garmin again.
Fitbits need constant charging, Garmin is a once a year battery. They are also waterproof so much less likely to get lost from kids taking them off to swim or shower.
I would look for a previous model or second hand Garmin.

#16 Jersey Caramel

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

Yep, we love the Garmin vivofits here.  Even just as a watch,  they're great - we have the kids use the timer feature a lot to manage their screen time,  piano practice etc.

#17 Fillama

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

Garmin's are great, my dd has had hers since Christmas last year and hasn't taken it off.

100% water proof, with activity trackers and a chore scoring system,  they're worth every penny.

My dd always uses the function to time 2mins for brushing her teeth, honestly I think it's one of the best gifts I've ever bought one of my kids.

#18 Luci

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:20 PM

My DD got one for her 6th birthday - her friend had one which was what put the ides into her head. Anyway she has had quite a lot of use from it, she tracks her chores, times piano practice and uses it as a watch,  IME it’s much better than some of the other plasticy trinkets she asks for.

#19 rainne

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

If you want something way, way cheaper, though - my seven year old got a VeryFitPro for Christmas. It was $25 and does all the things she wants it to do - measures steps, stairs, active time, etc. You have to charge it every few days, and it's not waterproof, but it's been no drama at all.

I have a Garmin and love them, but this was a way to test whether she would actually use and enjoy a fitness tracker without spending a fortune.

#20 Elsegundo

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

I got a cheapie from somewhere like catch. It looks great but it's pretty average. Needs to charge every few days for hours. The app has trouble syncing with my phone so when it runs out of charge it can be on the wrong time for days. I got it to see if ds would look after it and use it but it's so hard to use that I am not sure if he lost interest or if it put him off! It sits in a drawer in my kitchen usually.

#21 Murderino

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

My kids got Garmin Vivofit Jrs (not the 2) a few months ago for their birthdays. My sister found them for $79 even getting the band they liked - JB I think.

I got them extra bands they liked.

I don’t think they’ve taken them off since they got them and DD loves that she can wear it swimming.

I have a Fitbit that I won a couple of years ago and it’s often flat so I like that the Garmin doesn’t need charging.

#22 EmmDasher

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

5 year old DD has been fixated on getting a Garmin Vívofit Jr all year. She has been saving her pocket money for months and she finally had enough and bought one. She loves it and so do I. The app with the games & chores is just fantastic. She’s been using the timers for things like teeth too. She was never a particularly active child but having the visual cue and rewards has really encouraged her to get moving. I haven’t seen anything that dupes the functionality as well.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostCG123, on 23 September 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

#2 had a step challenge feature which was great as you could set a timer and see who got the most steps in that time. The facts were Marvel based and not as interesting IMO. I assume the others have Star Wars, Minnie Mouse and Disney princess facts.

DD got a Disney one and I haven’t seen any facts. When she hits 60 ‘active minutes’ (high intensity) it unlocks a move in a story motivated game in the app. You get to play the move and a simple game each day.

#24 Jenflea

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:43 PM

Well, this might solve the puzzle of what to get Dd for Christmas.

None of her friends have them though and she's never mentioned them so I don't think they are the in thing at her school.

#25 GettingBusier

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:04 AM

DD has a Garmin here too (she’s 7) and it has been fantastic for us. The activity tracker is actually the part she uses the least - the timer has been the best. For some reason if we say ‘10 minutes til xxxx, set your timer’ then it is gospel... when that watch dings she is good to go. I think it has to do with visibility or control or something like that. She is also quite responsible with belongings so I wasn’t worried about her losing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.