Sofa trends? king living? Grey? Modular?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Burro

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

I’m looking for a new sofa. I want something I can hang onto for 10 years so I want to be able to clean it or buy new covers and I don’t want it to date but I don’t know much about sofa trends.

King living have a sale on at the moment. I’m quite tempted by the Jasper. But it’s been around for years and years, does that mean it will begin to date soon? Has it already? Will it last another 10 without looking naff?

I’m also looking at some of their other sofas. But again they’ve been around years. Are they classic or boring? (Delta).

Any predictions about where sofas are headed in terms colours, shapes and sizes? My current sofa is grey. Is grey on the way out? It’s been so done to death in interiors.

Two sofas or a modular?

#2 Manicmum

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

I think you’ll be fine with the jasper in grey

#3 seayork2002

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Personally I am not a fan of grey, especially if there is no other colour in the room but there are some nice cushions around

but no matter what you choose you could change the cushions covers to modernise it over time?

#4 dadwasathome

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

Does anyone buy King furniture at full price?

We've had a Jasper for maybe 8 years now. The more recent models have tweaks, but nothing that impacts the basic design, which still looks modern.

We have leather in a clay sort of colour.

#5 Sentient Puddle

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

Why should fashion dictate what sort of sofa you want to buy? Buy one that suits your space and budget.

#6 melbun

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:35 AM

This is our old Jasper, it's now in our holiday house, it's probably close to 12 years old.  It's the Tango (microsuede type) fabric, the colour is called Pear I think.

I think it's a pretty timeless design.

If you look after them, they last forever.  And they are pretty easy to clean.  We have two cats so this thing has seen some abuse.

Posted Image

#7 Burro

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

View Postmelbun, on 23 September 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

This is our old Jasper, it's now in our holiday house, it's probably close to 12 years old.  It's the Tango (microsuede type) fabric, the colour is called Pear I think.

I think it's a pretty timeless design.

If you look after them, they last forever.  And they are pretty easy to clean.  We have two cats so this thing has seen some abuse.

Posted Image

Lovely room you have there. It looks so much better than my 7 year old sofas.

Is there such a thing as timeless? Although,  I agree it is aging very well.

#8 Cimbom

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

How much is it? I get paying for quality but they are really expensive if I recall correctly. Our current sofa is six years old and still looks great. It was probably one quarter of the price of a King one.

#9 Burro

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostCimbom, on 23 September 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

How much is it? I get paying for quality but they are really expensive if I recall correctly. Our current sofa is six years old and still looks great. It was probably one quarter of the price of a King one.

Where did you get it?

#10 MarciaB

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

I am also in the market for a new sofa.

I still like the Jasper range from King - but I won't be buying.

Our current sofa is from Jardan maybe 15 years ago now - it is still in pretty good nick, just doesn't really suit our space.

I hope to buy another from there :).  I like the idea of a 3 seater sofa plus 2 chairs for our space, so that is what we want to do.  Might take a bit more saving as they are expensive, but I am confident I will get years out of it.

I like this one - but am yet to get to a showroom to see irl. (also grey :)).

https://www.jardan.c.../product/bosko/

Edited to add - we have an IKEA sofa in another living space.  Bought a few years ago thinking I would replace it when funds allow - it is really comfy and I still like it so it stays!

Edited by MarciaB, 23 September 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#11 dadwasathome

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

Our previous sofa was also a King, and the design did date over the 12 or so years we had it. That said, it wore really well, and friends took it on as their "good" sofa.

King has up to half price sales 3-4 times a year. Never pay full price. For me, it's worth getting aniline leather if you can.

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

i’d go King - my sister has the Jasper same (or similar) to what Melbun posted - i think it still looks really good in my sisters house, and she has a bit of a “vogue living” thing happening. i wanted a King and must have been the unfortunate person who was looking when they did NOT have a sale. DH baulked at the price ...and we went with a smaller retailer who has a show room at crows nest (don’t know if you are in sydney or not). it looks ok, except it keeps shedding friggin feathers everywhere...

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 23 September 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#13 Jak80

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:25 PM

I have a king delta. It’s crap. Uncomfortable, the cushions have all squished up. Threads on the material are coming away. It’s only 5 years old. However, we bought it because we needed a sofa to sell our house and King were the only one who had something in stock. Buy something Australian made with quality fabric ie Warwick

#14 boatiebabe

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

I bought this sofa earlier this year and love it.

https://www.focusonf...section=product

I wanted something large, so that we can all sprawl out, and was in the market for a U shaped sofa which isn't always easy to find.

I tried King and for the same thing it was going to cost around $9000, plus they were super unhelpful when I went in so didn't want to buy anything from them.

I got the above lounge in a super sale Was around $2000, and I am really really happy with it. The quality is really impressive. I went with the grey pictured as grey is a really good neutral and you can change cushions and throws to give it a different look.

Once the kids move out (four year or so) and it's just DH and I, I might down size the sofa a little, but will hold on to this lounge and move it to my holiday house.

#15 Lifesgood

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:06 PM

I'd be careful about buying grey now. Its been in fashion for over 5 years now and may start to look 'naf' within your time horizon. I have a chocolate brown macro-suede lounge purchased at the peak of the chocolate brown macro-suede era (say early 2000's)? and it looks really outdated and has done for several years now despite still being in good condition (banished to the play room).

We have a cream leather L-shaped lounge with a chaise from Bayswiss (part of Freedom group) which we bought about 5 years ago and I wouldn't recommend either the company (are they even still around?) or an L-shaped lounge. They are too hard to move and position nicely in your room - too inflexible. I'd go for two separate lounges, one with chaise.

We also have a red fabric 3-seater with a chaise in our sitting room and it is everyone's favourite. So comfy and welcoming. Got that off floor-stock at Freedom for a very good price.

In terms of style, get something that matches your home and your personal taste rather than something in fashion.

#16 WaitForMe

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

We have the Neo from King.

It must be about 5 years old by now, and looking great. Although admittedly the leather needs a clean atm.

It has taken a serious beating from the kids, I only had a 2yo at the time and wow I had no idea how hard the kids can be on things.

The thing I love the most, is I can take it completely apart. All the back and arm rests are held on with these big metal pegs. So its incredibly strong, yet I can pull it apart and really scrub it.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

We got the Ikea Kivik. It comes in lots of configurations and it's comfortable (has a layer of mmemory foam). Best part is the entire sofa cover is removable so it's easy to clean and you can buy spares (in different colours if you like :D)

Posted Image

#18 Babetty

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

If your old sofa has decent "bones" eg your happy with the overall shape, consider getting them re-upolstered rather than buying new ones. We had a 3 seater freedom sofa and a 2.5 seat domayne sofa bed re-upolstered in hard wearing, really good quality Warwick fabrics for total of $3000 (including re_wrapping some slightly worn cushions in another foam layer). So we've got better quality than I could have bought new for that price, something more custom to us (huge fabric choice) and environmentally friendly in terms of not binning the old ones.

#19 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

We have just purchased the Jasper and a Delta.

Like PP have said King always have sales on, but not everything is on sale. We had to wait to order our Delta to get the right sale price.

I liked both sofas 15 years ago, and happy to have purchased for our new house finally. The Jasper is very much loved and fits our hole family. Awaiting end of October for our Delta.

ETA our colour is the Palm Beach Pumice which is a beigey neutral light grey colour (borderline colourblind so not goid at describing colours).

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 23 September 2019 - 07:38 PM.

#20 Coffeegirl

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

View PostJak80, on 23 September 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I have a king delta. It’s crap. Uncomfortable, the cushions have all squished up. Threads on the material are coming away. It’s only 5 years old. However, we bought it because we needed a sofa to sell our house and King were the only one who had something in stock. Buy something Australian made with quality fabric ie Warwick

Interesting.  We bought our first Delta just over 10 years ago, and bought a second one 3 years ago.   Both in dark chocolate leather.   They both still look amazing and other than the different legs, you’d struggle to know which one was 7 years older.

I wonder if its the difference between leather and fabric?

#21 Burro

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 23 September 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

We got the Ikea Kivik. It comes in lots of configurations and it's comfortable (has a layer of mmemory foam). Best part is the entire sofa cover is removable so it's easy to clean and you can buy spares (in different colours if you like :D)

Posted Image

I love your colours. I will check out the kivik.

#22 Grassyrat

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

My parents have both a king and a plush leather sofa.

They much prefer the plush one - half the price, has lasted really well and is very comfortable. They just made sure they upgraded the leather to the top category.

We are just about to replace our 10 year old plush leather modular with a newer model. The only reason is the colour is outdated, it's still in very good condition for its age and we could only afford the cheapest leather at the time.

#23 Lesley225

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

I'm more for comfort.  Being quite small I have trouble finding ones that are small enough for my legs whilst still fitting at the back so I'm all for comfort first looks later.

#24 Burro

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 23 September 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

We have just purchased the Jasper and a Delta.

Like PP have said King always have sales on, but not everything is on sale. We had to wait to order our Delta to get the right sale price.

I liked both sofas 15 years ago, and happy to have purchased for our new house finally. The Jasper is very much loved and fits our hole family. Awaiting end of October for our Delta.

ETA our colour is the Palm Beach Pumice which is a beigey neutral light grey colour (borderline colourblind so not goid at describing colours).

Can I ask what set up you have that fits the family. Are you two adults and two teens?

I love that colour.

#25 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

if people aren’t going grey, what colour are you going? i do like the look of white, but we just couldn’t do it..two boys..it would be manky and feral in the space of a month.

dh wanted leather...and we went leather in our spare/rumpus room. i like the softness of fabric, i don’t like the feel of sitting on leather...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.