Endep

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 amdirel

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

Neurologist today prescribed 10mg of endep for my headaches. He said they can cause drowsiness, and to avoid the hangover feeling in the morning, to take them 12 hours before I plan on waking up. Problem is I get up at 5am for work! And I'm still driving kids around to sport at 9pm most nights.
So I was wondering how quickly do others find it makes you drowsy? And do you need 12 hours for the drowsiness to go away? I'm trying to work out the right timing! It's only a low dose, so hopefully it won't be so bad.

I was also wondering how long have you been taking it for headaches? Neurologist said the plan is to only use it for 6-12 months, but I didn't understand why.

Thanks.

#2 BornToLove

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

The advice I got with it was to start slow, half a 10mg pill for a week and then the full pill from then on. I always took mine at around 8:30, no issues waking at 6:30 the next morning.

It does make you super drowsy so I would only take it once you’re home and mostly winding down for the day.

The other side effect to watch out for is increased appetite. I got the munchies so badly after dinner, I basically grazed until I went to bed. I finally couldn’t take the uncontrollable eating (and subsequent weight gain) that I came off of it after 2 years. Did wonders for my migraines though.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

I take it for nerve pain and it works brilliantly. Nearly had to cancel an overseas trip after trying everything, and then that working for me.

Doctor said to take half the first night, then not increase to a whole one until it wasn't making me so sleepy.

It does still 'help' sleep, but only until about 2am now for me, but I've been on it for a few years now.

ETA: 10mg dose.

Edited by born.a.girl, 23 September 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

At 10 mg I felt no drowsiness at all.  It's a very small dose.

I don't know why you could only be on it for that small length of time.  I'm on it for muscle pain and will be as long as it works and as long as I need it.

#5 Odd-1-Out

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

I found it horrible, I was drowsy and had slurred speech. I stopped taking it as the side effects werent worth it for me.

#6 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

I take it about 7.30pm, it doesn’t make me too drowsy. If I take it 9 (if I forget) then it takes me a while to feel properly awake in the morning, especially if the kids get me up earlier than normal. Are the kids doing sport over the school holidays? If not it could be a good time to try it and see how it effects you.

#7 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

I’m on 25mg for nerve pain. It doesn’t make me sleepy anymore. I think it effects everyone differently.

#8 amdirel

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

Ok thanks, I think I might wait until Thursday night to take it as I don't work Friday. Just in case!

#9 K.heather

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:36 PM

I am on 100mg for anxiety and sleep issues. Only side effects I get is a dry mouth and a hang over feeling of a morning.

#10 reachforthestars

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

I had to stop taking it, so tired I couldn't function plus it caused a fibro flare up. I hope it works for you though, definitely take it early evening.

#11 Sweet.Pea

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

View Postamdirel, on 23 September 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

Ok thanks, I think I might wait until Thursday night to take it as I don't work Friday. Just in case!

Your body will get used to it, especially if it's a small dose.

The way it works for headaches, is it relaxes the muscles. So you are less likely to get headaches.

#12 sophiasmum

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

I take 2x10mg tabs every night for nerve blocker.

It did make me feel groggy in the morning when I first started taking it, but not anymore. Been on it for at least 12 mths, probs longer. It certainly helps my sleep since post menopause insomnia. Also helps my moods, since it is an AD.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

It is a tiny dose and all these types of drugs have a 'settling in' time in which there may be some side effects.
Some side effects are horrendous but some are not long lasting and often people will stop a drug that may have actually helped because of some early minor side effects.

Almost all the medications I am on made me feel awful in varying degrees when I first started them but I persevered with most of them and it was a good decision.

Good luck with it.

#14 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 23 September 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

At 10 mg I felt no drowsiness at all.  It's a very small dose.

I don't know why you could only be on it for that small length of time.  I'm on it for muscle pain and will be as long as it works and as long as I need it.

Haven't used for a while but I certainly didn't feel drowsy on a dose that low. It's an antidepressant so it's designed to be able to be used long term if necessary so not sure why the 6-12 months.

#15 lucky 2

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

I've just started taking it for nerve pain.  I've had 3 doses of 10mg but pain is still a problem. It's hard to know if it makes me drowsy as I'm also taking tramadol and even the I only sleep in burstsdue to pain.
I can double the dose and I thought I might do that tonight, who knows how I'll feel tomorrow.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 24 September 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

I've just started taking it for nerve pain.  I've had 3 doses of 10mg but pain is still a problem. It's hard to know if it makes me drowsy as I'm also taking tramadol and even the I only sleep in burstsdue to pain.
I can double the dose and I thought I might do that tonight, who knows how I'll feel tomorrow.

That is a small dose for chronic nerve pain lucky 2.
I did start it, went through the initial side effects but then it did not help my pain at all.
I started on 20 mgs and went up to 50 mgs.

Lyrica, Cymbalta and a small dose of MS Contin are doing okay here.
I am deathly allergic to Tramadol.

#17 lucky 2

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

Thanks stbg, it's acute pain at the moment, severe pain from ? C6 pinched nerve, I'm awaiting MRI results.
Im taking prednisone, tramadol, panadol and endep but I think I should have taken Lyrica? it causes double vision.
Maybe I need a bit more time to get results?

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

I know it worked fairly quickly for me (because we were about to cancel our first long haul trip in three decades, and suddenly didn't have to) but I don't think it was overnight.

Mine was more extreme discomfort rather than stabbing pain, if that makes sense.  Couldn't sit for more than 15 mins without spending an hour walking around.  Not conducive to an economy seat for 24 hours!

#19 amdirel

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

My neuro told me it can take 2 weeks to notice a difference, and that I can double the dose after that if I haven’t noticed a difference.

#20 kimasa

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:45 PM

I was a wreck for the first month I was on it. Drowsy, slurred speech, no memory whatsoever. Then I just... broke through? Been on it for years now for gastro problems and I don't feel it kick in at all in the evening, and I'm fine in the mornings.

#21 lucky 2

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

I know it's not my thread but I thought I'd come back and say I ended up having shingles,!.
I'm now on  35mg endep, Endone, antivials and had a course of prednisone.
I've still got troublesome nerve pain and feel bombed out, shakey and blurred vision and off work.

How are you op?

#22 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

Oh how horrible lucky 2! I took quite a while to feel better when I had shingles, I didn’t have much pain but lots of fatigue and feeling unwell. Hope you are feeling better soon.

#23 amdirel

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

Oh no lucky2!! Shingles are awful. I hope you feel better soon.

I've had no troubles with the endep. It's too early to see if it's made a difference to the pain, but I've had no side effects or drowsiness, which I'm so relieved about! Fingers crossed it helps the pain, I'm so sick of it!

#24 Charli73

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

I was prescribed ended for mild anxiety and to help me sleep and it just made me feel so zombie “blah” like the next morning I had to stop...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.