More on the Centrelink debt saga

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

https://www.theguard...repay-robodebts

All of my tax return got snatched for a supposed over payment. I was told in June that the rate I was on was correct but after tax (using the same figures supplied in June), I get slugged with a debt. It used to be that you got a portion withheld, not all of it.

#2 literally nobody

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

Im feeling nervous about doing my tax because of this. I am expecting a refund which i desperately need that money for.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 23 September 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Im feeling nervous about doing my tax because of this. I am expecting a refund which i desperately need that money for.

Then don't do your tax return yet if you are expecting a refund. Talk to Centrelink beforehand and let them know that you need the money. They are supposed to take people's personal circumstances into account. Problem is some of those letters are arriving too late.

I encouraged my daughter to do her 2018 return, which got claimed by Centrelink for a debt that's in dispute.  Centrelink say they write to people before hand to warn them, but she got the letter two days after we had submitted the tax return.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.