Book for 14 y/o who hates reading

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

My 14 yo former non reader (only read in past 12m) became a reader once he found his genre/style of books.

It had been very painful previously as school has 20-30mins reading a night homework.

I was similar.... hated reading until I found my genre.

#27 seemingly

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Bibliographies? Maybe there's a Beckham bibliography he'd enjoy.

#28 #notallcats

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

I loved Stephen King at 14.  I'd suggest his short stories though as the longer ones can go on a bit.   The Body (made into a movie Stand by Me), and a short novel The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are both good (don't let the title fool you - it's about a girl who gets lost in the woods with 'something' following her).

#29 jayskette

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:10 AM

How about non fiction related to FIFA, soccer, sports, biography of a sportsperson...

Guinness World records and the gamers edition

Edited by jayskette, 25 September 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#30 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

What about non-fiction? Some people are just not interested in reading unless they find something that stimulates their interest. Alternatively there are graphic novels like previously mentioned. Or biographies. There are lots of sports memoirs. Maybe something aimed a bit older might be good.

I know several people who won’t touch fiction but enjoy non-fiction of various themes quiet a lot. Astrophysicist for young people in a hurry is a fascinating book.

#31 QuirkyMum

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

View PostTokra, on 24 September 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

My DS1 has been reading them for years and at 15 years old just read the latest one and loved it.
Right...
So all I have to do is pray that by the time my oldest is 15, these books will be out of my house. Oh wait, my youngest will be 7 then. I'm doomed.

#32 kimasa

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

View Postseemingly, on 25 September 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Bibliographies? Maybe there's a Beckham bibliography he'd enjoy.

Biography πŸ˜‰

Although I have known kids to get a kick out of reading the dictionary, so I probably wouldn't be too shocked to hear of a kid who liked bibliographies.

A second vote for One of Us is Lying and The Hate U Give. Both excellent books.

What are the last 3 books he actually liked reading?

#33 jayskette

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

View Postkimasa, on 27 September 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

Biography πŸ˜‰

Although I have known kids to get a kick out of reading the dictionary, so I probably wouldn't be too shocked to hear of a kid who liked bibliographies.

A second vote for One of Us is Lying and The Hate U Give. Both excellent books.

What are the last 3 books he actually liked reading?

I loved reading dictionaries, atlases, street directories, phone books etc in childhood. I learnt a lot about the world. I'm a bit strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.