7yo and feet/gait issues- podiatrist?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Charli73

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:48 AM

Hi
My 7yo has get that turn in slightly when she walks and we’ve noticed her knees knock a big when she walks. She saw a podiatrist who has since closed when she was 2 who said she would grow out if it and not to worry.

It’s now 5 years later and We haven’t grown out if it. Do I just see a podiatrist?
Does anyone have any recommendations for the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne around Blackburn?

#2 BusbyWilkes

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:09 AM

If it were just her feet, I would see a podiatrist. Given that you mentioned knock knees etc, I would see a paediatric physio first, to assess her gait.

#3 Lees75

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

That sounds more like something that needs to be assessed by a Physio.

#4 livingos

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:12 AM

My just turned 7 year old has been doing physio for the same  symptoms. She has soles for her shoes from a podiatrist  as well.
They have done core exercises with her and it really helped quickly.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

Physio first, the problem might be in a different area and manifesting that way in her feet. Need to treat everything. Then the physio will say if she needs a podiatrist.

I had the same problem at that age and saw both.

#6 EPZ

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

May need orthotics also? Sometimes knee issues are caused by their feet.

My son’s  feet are too flexible. He needs to wear orthotics for life. If untreated,  he will certainly need to have his knees done down the track.

Weird for them to say she will grow out of it, it needs to be corrected.

Since having them he runs better, feels more comfortable wearing them, knees are pointed straight - rather than inwards. It’s made a huge difference.

#7 José

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

id also suggest a physio. and wonder if they will recommend an orthotist for custom orthotics.

#8 Clementinerose

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

You could try seeing the gp first and getting a care plan. It will cover the cost of some of the appointments for you if it is going to be ongoing

#9 Dianalynch

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

I would also ask about possible hip dysplasia with the GP, who may recommend an xray. I think that may be an important thing to rule out with knock knees.

#10 Charli73

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:58 AM

She did have the hips xrayed as a baby and it was ruled out but were off to the GP today so I will ask anyway.

Might book physio too.

Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.