3 months until Christmas. Planning tips?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 red_squirrel

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

The last couple of years were very unorganised due sudden expenses lots of illnesses etc etc.

So this year I am determined to be more organised. If anyone has any planning tips they would like to share I’d appreciate it.

For myself, this year I will get a pudding, gingerbread house kit and chocolate advent calendars as soon as they come out. They sold out a few weeks prior to Christmas and I missed out. It is like they only got the one shipment, so in case it’s the same, I am getting in early.
Also, I’m going to allow more time for overseas shipping. I didn’t realise things took so long to come from the States or Japan.

Lastly I am going to start adding one or two items like nuts, pretzels etc to each shop so that I didn’t have to get them all at the end.

It may be three months out, but that means only two months until shipping cut off and the start of Advent. It goes very quick.

Also, there are still sales on everywhere and I’m buying some presents from that.

So what are your best tips to avoid the last minute rush.

#2 Kallie88

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

I start making my lists now, putting ideas for presents down, getting my budget sorted lol. We don't host so thankfully don't need to worry about the food side of things. I also start asking family around now if there's anything they want so they have time to think about it and I have time to source stuff. We've got a fabric advent calendar that I put like activities in, so I'll review that in November

#3 Threetwoone

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

I think it's a great idea to start early. I usually make my own advents but the last couple of years I used premade ones with pockets and fill them with activities. This year I'm goin easy and just doing lollies, and small presents and no notes. I've got one present bought. I buy small presents early if I think they will sell out and I'm sure the kids will like it. Ive been caught out with kmart with as well. I will use afterpay or laybuy if I can find it this year to spread the cost out.
I don't buy food early as we don't have the room to store it.

#4 littlepickle

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

My contribution to family lunch this year are the table decorations and a large glazed ham...
Waiting patiently for Christmas crackers to come out so I can match the rest of the table items - I have a very fussy SIL who would usually control this herself, being handed the privilege for the first time in 23 years is a big deal.
I already have the items to glaze the ham.
My kids are teenagers but I have just bought a fabric advent calendar from ETSY.

#5 TheGreenSheep

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Oh sweet jesus.
No.
I.
Cannot.
[sticks fingers in ears and pretends it’s not 3 months away]

#6 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

Write a list of everything, absolutely everything you will need. Cross it off as you go, add additional items or substitutes in. It’s otherwise hard to keep track. I just use notes on my phone. Put a list at the top of what needs to be attended to first. Sign up to email lists and turn on notifications of shopping apps and refer back to your list when there are sales and new releases. I’m almost finished my shopping, just waiting for the Xmas clothes to hit the stores. It might seem a bit OTT but this way I’m able to give my family a nice Christmas on a budget.

#7 onetrick

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

Start as early as you can depending on people. I tend to look out for ideas for adults/ very little ones early on (ie. Hippo blue had personalised books for $12 each last week so I got one each for the under 2yos). Keep a list somewhere. There are apps (Santas bag is one I have used) to keep track of presents before hiding them away.
Not helpful this year, but I stock up on things like wrapping paper/ decorations etc in the after Christmas sales as they are often 75% off (or more!). So maybe keep that in mind for later?? We got non chocolate advent calendars after last years Christmas (ie. Hot wheels was $5!).
For food on the day- simple is fine, and ask people to help out. We hosted last year and in amongst the home made salads (we do cold meats and salads- so no preparing on the day) I had 2 from Costco.
Dont underestimate the drinks, and stock up on sales between now and Christmas. Soft drink, long life juice, alcohol- whatever it is, drinks always cost more than expected and can generally be purchased much earlier. Same with snacks, just check the used by dates with anything like cheese and dip as some last for months and some dont.
I dont do lists for food so much as stock up and reassess closer to the day, otherwise I get overwhelmed. I do lists for presents only.

Oh, and dont get too caught up in what you must do. Focus on family/ friends and the rest will follow :)

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

This year I got lazy, I’ve booked a nice restaurant in the city for lunch. Feeling more prepared than usual though, as I won’t have nearly as much to do on the day or in the week leading up.

#9 Threetwoone

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

I like that book idea onetrick for my new nephew. I have also bought reusable bags on sale after Christmas so I dont need wrapping at all.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Keep a list of what you’ve bought and where it’s hidden.

I started today by buying some roald Dahl books from Aldi for ds.

#11 VVV

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostThreetwoone, on 26 September 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

I like that book idea onetrick for my new nephew. I have also bought reusable bags on sale after Christmas so I dont need wrapping at all.

Ooh where did you get the reusable bags please? I have been looking everywhere.

#12 Threetwoone

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

Mostly kmart, I got little ones at the reject shop and bigger sacks and fabric shopping bags at kmart. I've also got some Christmas themed shopping bags from coles. I got them really close to Christmas and after.

#13 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

Head, meet sand...... you will be fine together for the next 2 months at least!

#14 lisazee

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

Head in sand

it can not be

#15 Jingleflea

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:31 PM

I prepare by going to the inlaws on the day, with a dessert in each hand.

#16 Riotproof

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

Pooks, I saw Christmas stuff at best and less today.

#17 red_squirrel

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 26 September 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Keep a list of what you’ve bought and where it’s hidden.

I started today by buying some roald Dahl books from Aldi for ds.
This made me laugh. I still haven’t found a present I bought and hid 5 years ago. I can only guess it got accidentally thrown away.
But yes, very good advice.

The hiding spots also have to be easy to access on Christmas Eve.

#18 Little Bean

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

My advice is, if you see something you want, whether it be gift, decorations etc, and you have the means to buy it then and there, do it.
So many times have I seen early Christmas stuff and thought I'll come back and get it later, it's only Sept/Oct, surely they'll get more. And they don't, and it's gone.
And then because you had banked on getting that particular item you find yourself disorganised and running around to find it elsewhere.

Last year I did a gift list and ticked off when I wrapped things and where each gift was hidden. Very helpful for someone like me who has hiding spots everywhere! And I'm a dinosaur who likes a good old-fashioned pen and paper list, no apps for me.

#19 raspberry sherbert

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

I am a pen and paper list maker too. I start with a list of things I want to make lists of and also pick a theme. I haven't started yet.

#20 Threetwoone

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

There are some lovely reusable christmas bags and stockings at Target today. The Christmas stuff is gorgeous

#21 Hands Up

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Pretend it isn’t happening.

On a serious note we are not doing Christmas crackers, thanks to an FB post which reminded me how unnecessary they are. So that’s one less thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.