FYOS 2020

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#76 MissBehaving

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

Our school has a formal uniform and a sports uniform that is only to be worn on days with sports lessons (pamphlet says max 2 days a week).

And for the young kids, a spare set in the bag for painting/water/toilet accidents.

I would like to get away without washing mid-week, so I was thinking 3 new formal uniforms (dress) and one secondhand as the spare and 2 new sports uniforms (polo and shorts) and one secondhand.

Do you think that would be enough?

#77 Riotproof

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

First orientation today. She loved it.

#78 Popper

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:17 AM

DD first orientation yesterday. She was in her element (unfortunately did not want to leave, but I am taking that as a positive). Asst Principal made a note of her friend group which was an unexpected bonus.

#79 newmumandexcited

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:29 AM

I ordered the uniform to get him excited! Four shirts and shorts and one sports uniform.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 25 October 2019 - 04:29 AM.

#80 gracie1978

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:38 AM

I'm loving the textile stamp I ordered off Etsy.

I don't iron ever, not even a label ;)

#81 Riotproof

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

It’s boring, but the best thing for clothes is a laundry sharpie. Pretty sure I’m still going on my first one from 2016.

#82 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

Just sized up DS for uniform, its so cute.  The school has a well stocked uniform shop and a large second hand collection that they put out every Monday for people to rifle through. That will be handy for spares. Their hats only go up to an L though, and DS is an L already, so that will be interesting.

#83 newmumandexcited

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

Do they have a list of stationery to buy?

#84 Riotproof

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 07 November 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Not ours no. They do have the tissue, soap glue stick requirements for shared resources, but they don’t send those until next year.

#85 Hands Up

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

DS1 has now done all three orientations. He cried the night before the first one and the morning of but DH took him for a milkshake on the way and he bucked up. Loved the other two. Also DH bought his uniform and school bag and DS is obsessed with them ha ha. We ended up getting three shirts (he’ll also get a sports day shirt to wear once a week once houses are allocated next year, three pair of shorts and two hats. DH said in the parent chat the principal said that sneakers are fine, black or otherwise, so I don’t think we’ll bother with Clark’s shoes.

#86 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 07 November 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

They haven’t mentioned stationary yet, i don’t think, I wonder what the plan is. They get a free library bag, that’s all I know.

#87 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Some schools will do a stationery pack as part of school fees. Once you paid them, uou collect a bag of books, book cover, reading diary to cover and label. The pencils, tissues etc are just kept at school. DS got 12 scrapbooks and more in a bag. Gee it was heavy.

#88 Catzilla

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:10 AM

DD has her first orientation on this coming Monday.  She's so excited for it; but I hope she won't be too disappointed if she doesn't end up getting placed in a class with the teacher she wants (this teacher also did her school readiness assessment, and they got on well together).

#89 gracie1978

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

I think we pay $70 for shared stationary, $12 for a book bag and another $40 for school fees.
Seems reasonable.

#90 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:27 PM

Are you getting your kids new lunch boxes for school? And drink bottles?

I was planning to just use their current ones, which have held up quite well. But now I’m thinking that makes me a bad mum, lol. Especially since my son’s has a slightly broken clip. Still works though. Maybe I’ll replace it with the same, just cause it’s broken, and then I’ll have a spare as well.

Better get him some sturdy shoes too. They don’t have rules about school shoes. But some good black ones will be nice.

#91 Riotproof

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

Whatever you buy make it cheap but functional. And that they can open it themselves.

I won’t buy dd a new lunch box, because it is easier to have a container for fruit break, container for recess and sandwich or other actual lunch component box. If by year 1, she proves she doesn’t lose stuff, she can have a packit freezer lunch bag like ds has. They are incredible. Kindies at our school generally store lunch in the classroom, so as to identify forgotten lunches early in the day.

#92 MissBehaving

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

Got DDs class assignment today, there are 5 prep classes for next year, only 2 of which are in the fenced off prep area (has it's own toilets and playground separate from the rest of the school).

I think she would have been better in the smaller area and I'm worried about her getting physically and emotionally lost.

I am considering speaking with the school during the next transition day but I don't want to start off being one of "those" parents!

#93 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

They will likely have a plan in place for teaching all the kids how to navigate the playground.

#94 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostMissBehaving, on 25 November 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Got DDs class assignment today, there are 5 prep classes for next year, only 2 of which are in the fenced off prep area (has it's own toilets and playground separate from the rest of the school).

I think she would have been better in the smaller area and I'm worried about her getting physically and emotionally lost.

I am considering speaking with the school during the next transition day but I don't want to start off being one of "those" parents!

Maybe they will still share the play area?

Our school doesn’t have a separate prep area, but, for the first few weeks, the preps have their lunch break at a different time to the general population. To allow them to play safely and get used to it all.  Then it’s a free for all. But they also have school leaders, older kids, that run lunch time play activities for kids with no friends, or any kids that want to play with them really, which sounds like a great idea. And there is the buddy system. So I don’t think the preps will get too lost, the teachers know what to do.
Hopefully your school has similar things in place.

#95 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

We still haven’t received our fee invoice.  But they have implied that the fees include a “school pack’ of books and stationary. If that’s true then that’s great, one less thing to organise.  And they said there is a buildings and library fundraising levy that’s tax deductible if you pay it.

#96 Hands Up

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Our school has an area reserved for kindy, year one and year two. It’s not fenced off but the older kids know they aren’t allowed to play there. For the first week they are let out fifteen minutes early at the end of the day to avoid the chaos of the other 500 kids. It’s a big school.

#97 Lunafreya

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

DS had his first orientation today, he loved itbbutbwas so tired.

#98 Popper

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:47 AM

DD has her last orientation tomorrow. I bought the entire uniform last week and she wore it around the house as anticipated! I also ended up buying 2 pairs of Clarke's Mary Janes on sale last week so we are set for shoes and any growth spurts.

I got such a buzz from washing, ironing and arranging her little uniform/shoes in her cupboard.

Preschool graduation and report sent home last week. Feeling great that we are were choosing to start her FYOS 2020. I cried like a big sook through the graduation...my last baby!

#99 Lunafreya

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

He has his uniform now. Looks so grown up

#100 **Xena**

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

My youngest daughter starts school next year.Her orientation day is next week :)

It's going to be a big year because not only does she start school but it's my eldest son's last year of high school and my eldest daughter's last year of primary.

Edited by **Xena**, 28 November 2019 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.