Anyone Repeated Preschool/4 year kindy

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 purpleblaze

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

Here in Vic we had DS1 repeat 4yr old kinder purely based on social skills, things like ability to focus, follow instructions, concentrate longer periods of time on a task.

He started prep (FYOS) this year and has absolutely loved it. Academically he’s very bright but socially he’s thriving, having made lots of friends his own age and older. He totally forgot his old cohort from the first time he did kinder.

Based on your post I would repeat. It would be worse if he had to repeat FYOS or grade 1 where everyone else moves up. At kindy/preschool at least they move to a totally different school. From people we spoke to, a few had regretted not delaying but no one had regretted delaying. We are happy with our decision.

#27 Dianalynch

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

Golly it’s tough now isn’t it, talk of kids being ‘behind’ in reading and writing when they start fyos...when that’s where they’re supposed to learn it. Sometimes I think we rob kids of play based learning. Sorry op that was not directed at you, it was a bit of a tangent.

#28 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 27 September 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Golly it’s tough now isn’t it, talk of kids being ‘behind’ in reading and writing when they start fyos...when that’s where they’re supposed to learn it. Sometimes I think we rob kids of play based learning. Sorry op that was not directed at you, it was a bit of a tangent.

I get where you're coming from. Its more that based on his current level of fine motor skills they think he will end up behind so if he goes to kindy they'll start in those groups so he has extra support from day 1. His preschool report card was fine and he's improved a lot since start of the year but you can definitely see the difference especially social skills, fine motor and speech where he's at developmentally compared to where the other kids are.  I struggle to understand his words at times. They learn letters and numbers and do fine and gross motor activities and lots of play in preschool. It's a big step up to fyos here.  DD did great, starting at 4, though I still wonder socially/emotionally if she'd have been better starting a year later.

#29 Mrs Twit

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:36 PM

Hi there. We are in VIC and my DD was an April baby (school cutoff is 30 April in Vic). She is very bright but was quite socially immature at preschool. She was over a year younger than the oldest kids in her preschool class. The preschool teacher suggested a second year in 4 year preschool (funded) and we went with it. She wasn't the only one repeating.

She is 14 now and I don't regret it. She is very mature and focussed, and has excelled at school although she is still a bit socially anxious. I feel if we had started her a year younger she would have really struggled socially.

We didn't just think about her FYOS, we thought about how she would be at high school and beyond, being that much younger than her peers - going through puberty, talking about sex, learning to drive, drinking age etc. I do notice the difference in some of her peers who are a year younger than her. They are quite immature in comparison. I would repeat under your circumstances.

#30 José

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

View PostSM3s Fight Song, on 27 September 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

Oh I definitely will be.  Id think other reasons for not doing preschool again might be that he'd actually learn better in a structured environment - no idea if he would.  Its certainly bloody hard to get him to practice writing. That he'd end up bored in preschool and playing up.  DHs it'll knock his confidence to stay at preschool.  And we can't use the youre staying because you're younger as his sister started school at not yet turned  5.

Eta: He likes preschool once he's there but he doesn't want to go on a semi regular basis.  He didn't start liking preschool till he made his friend. Before that there was a lot of tears because the other boys wouldn't play with him.

this all sounds like reasons to stay at preschool to me.
if its hard to get him to practice writing that will be a problem at school.
if preschool are saying he should stay there id think they are saying they can best cater for his needs. so, id think its unlikely he would be bored and play up. and really, ut sounds like play based is where he is at. its sounds much more likely he would be bored at school and play up there.
id not even worry about the confidence thing. it would be a bigger knock to have to repeat later down the track or start and have it obvious kids can do much more than him.

#31 sarahec

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

My child started “late” in NSW. He turned 6 in April of his first year in school. He was able to catch up and now is academically ahead. We did a lot of therapy in the year before school.

#32 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

View Postsarahec, on 28 September 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

My child started “late” in NSW. He turned 6 in April of his first year in school. He was able to catch up and now is academically ahead. We did a lot of therapy in the year before school.

I think if I was sure we could do a lot of therapy in the next 12 months I'd be more sure about staying in preschool.  The problem there is I'm really sick and there's no guarantee I'll be able to do that. The plan was to spend the last 12 months doing that so he'd be ready for fyos with supports in place.  Then I got sicker and DD started having medical issues I had to focus on, dealing with that and her anxiety and my marriage falling apart and now we're 12 months further along with very little achieved for ds1 except I'm a lot sicker and less able then I was 12 months ago.

#33 Jingleflea

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

Would the school have speech therapy and an OT available to him in kindy?

I know ours has OT and I think speech therapists come in to help some kindy kids.

#34 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

Schools are supposed to have speach therapists visiting but to actually get the school to get them...I have been asking ALL year. We don't qualify for NDIS being NZers and the school is well aware of this. But I guess they will only do something if we were totally unable to afford things. But of course we are not welfare so the school is dragging their feet.

#35 Jingleflea

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:38 AM

I only knew about ours because I saw some kids going off into the wet area each week when I was doing readers when DD was in 1st grade already.

DD would probably have benefited from some OT at school due to her slightly low muscle tone, but the school didn't tell us anything about extra stuff available to parents.

#36 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostJenflea, on 28 September 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Would the school have speech therapy and an OT available to him in kindy?

I know ours has OT and I think speech therapists come in to help some kindy kids.

His teacher is trying to get both school OT and speech therapist to come and see both boys.  Not sure if that's something they can do regularly. Will ask when we have our meeting next term.  She was trying to get onto the OT we saw publically but had no more luck contacting her then I did.  School pysch has already been up and wasn't much use.  Friends Ds has ASD and his OT comes to school for sessions so they're certainly open to that if we get a private OT.  I'm not sure the ones available to the school can do more than one offs.  DS1 woke me at 3am and didn't go back to sleep, so not very with it today.

Edited by SM3s Fight Song, 28 September 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#37 caninestorm

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

I'm not in the same situation but thought I would add my experience FWIW. We are also in the ACT, and my son turned 5 in April. He went to preschool this year and will go to kinder next year.

The difference between him and the kids a year younger is, to be honest, massive. He is a shy kid and has really benefitted from knowing he is a little bit older and wiser. It has grown his social confidence ten-fold and I think will be great for him next year as he is now very self assured.

I would also consider basic self care skills like taking care of his things, lunchboxes, independent toileting (using cubicles with the rest of the school is different to preschool toilets in general) -- only because my son would have found these more challenging had he started kinder this year.

Honestly I think that either way your son will likely be fine, although I totally understand the worry as I worry about our decision to "hold back" as well :huh: All we can do is take everything into consideration, cross our fingers and make the leap. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.