Puzzles for 4 year old

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mooples

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Ds is about to turn 4 and I’d like to get him some more puzzles. The ones he is doing at the moment are a wooden board with 9 pieces that fit together and he is finding them way too easy. He also has a couple of alphabet / number wooden ones that all piece together to make an animal. What type of puzzles do you recommend for the next step. I don’t want to get anything he will find too easy after the first go but I also want something he will be able to do mostly independently and not be too difficult.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

I like ravensburger and Melissa and Douglas for that age.
Also layered puzzle with life cycles can be good.

This is the one we have https://cleverstuff....-puzzle-5-layer but I have seen frogs, hens as well.

#3 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

You can probably start on 30 or 60 piece jigsaw puzzles now.

#4 WaitForMe

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

When DD1 was that age, I loved the $1 24 piece puzzles from Kmart.

We got some more expensive ones and yeah they are better quality but she much preferred variety over quality. I used to take out a new one every weekend or so.

#5 MsLaurie

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:29 PM

We had some large format floor puzzles pieces that worked well. There are a few map of the world ones that are rather nice-

We had this one (24 pieces):

https://www.yellowoc...BCABEgIs2PD_BwE

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

Brands we had and liked that lasted the distance from that age -
Djeco
Ravensburger
Janod.

#7 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

My kids who are very visual spacial quickly went to 100 piece puzzles.

Like PP mentioned we did cheap boxes and containers of cardboard puzzles from 24-100 pieces from Kmart Aldi etc.

#8 Luci

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

My kids all like puzzles and I have bought a few from jigsawstore.com.au

You can do a search on age ranges and there are all the popular brands to chose from.  As mentioned by a PP the big size floor puzzles can be good fun at that age.

Edited by Luci, 29 September 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#9 StartledFlamingo

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

My kids love/d the ones that come in boxes with 4-5 puzzles often of different sizes between 12-24 pieces.
Like this https://www.google.c...0rL2mhUKBtQ29M:

#10 Toddlerandme

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

If there is a toy library near you they are often have lots of puzzles suitable for this age group (at least the one near me does). Great for having more variety without spending lots, and for testing the right difficulty level.

My almost four year old is currently loving big floor puzzles. She can do 30 piece puzzles fairly easily in terms of working out where the pieces go, but doesn’t have the manual dexterity to put the smaller cardboard type together yet, so bug floor ones are great.

#11 Magnolia2

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

This is a bit left-of-field but I recently came across Tegu magnetic puzzles (got a very simple one for DS2 but ended up playing with it myself for ages). You can make various animals and other shapes by building to the suggestions that come on the box... ? Admittedly much quicker to do than a flat puzzle though - so while I’m sure it’s good for spatial awareness, probably less so for developing patience etc.

#12 Hands Up

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

I like the jumping jack large floor puzzles. About forty pieces with fun pictures.

#13 Mooples

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

Thanks everyone I might get a mix of floor and standard size, 24 pieces to start with.

#14 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

I’d be seeing if I could borrow some puzzles from a toy library or similar as they ‘move up’ quickly in my experience at this age.

#15 scooty

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

I love these 24 piece puzzles. The pictures are adorable in this brand...educo I think.

https://www.edex.com...ayground-puzzle

Something layered like this one too..

https://www.edex.com...-layered-puzzle

Edited by scooty, 30 September 2019 - 08:22 AM.

#16 Lifesgood

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostMooples, on 29 September 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks everyone I might get a mix of floor and standard size, 24 pieces to start with.
My two kids were completely different to each other with puzzles. DD at age 4 was a gun, 100 piece Ravensburgers no prob. DS completely lost it if we tried to get him to do the same at that age. He was much better with smaller puzzles, ideally ones that are on a wooden board with a raised border around it and if possible the picture on the base of the board.
Like these ones:
https://www.toygalax...FsaAsvWEALw_wcB

#17 Lyra

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

I am also recommending the toy library. My daughter would rip through puzzles at that age and would not be keen to do them again. She's still doing puzzles at 14 and I always look out for the Ravensburger puzzles at Savers for her because I have found them to be the best quality. Also, it means I can buy a few and it doesn't break the bank

Thanks for this question BTW because now we're going to do a puzzle together this holidays!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.