Christmas Food!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

What do you make/buy/order to enjoy on Christmas Day?

I’ll be very close to giving birth this Xmas so we’re going to be very organised this year. And even if I am in hospital, at least DH wont have to do anything but bring me some food lol. I’m also ordering some catering from a local deli to pick up on Xmas eve, who basically do whatever you want .. so now I have no idea!

At home, we normally just do bbq chicken, ham, a salad and some bread rolls.

Share your feasts!

#2 Living Type

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

So far on my menu this year is Peppermint Bark from Williams Sonoma  and this salad https://www.recipeti...ild-rice-salad/ along with a few others
Hubby will do a cooked ham in the bbq. Pretty low key, I will be 9 months pregnant

#3 eponee

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

ALWAYS Chocolate ripple log.  This year with be sonny_loves_charlie's epic version.

https://www.instagra.../p/B2f26DTHEhJ/

#4 BadCat

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

I buy a pre-cooked turkey buffe, some ham, some ready made salads, those nifty little bake it yourself breadrolls, and we're done.

Oh, plus about a shedload of chocolates and chips and blah blah blah.

But I make pretty much nothing.  Christmas, for me, is not about making myself stressed.  It is about saying "here's some gifts now let's see what's in the fridge".

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

Yum cha for lunch, we’re going out :)

#6 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

I’m hosting this year - after a pretty sh*t year, I’m really looking forward to Christmas.

And for the first time in 5 years, my entire family looks like being together - we’ll be 12 adults, 7 kids. Can’t wait.

Dd10 has really embraced cooking this year, so we’ve been menu planning. We’re thinking an Asian inspired menu.

At my sil’s last Christmas, I was really impressed by her planning - slow cooker for pulled pork, lots of very filling salads, crackle on the BBQ, a ham, a cold salmon, and the oven just for parboiled roast veggies, and a turkey roll. Basically, not being stuck in the kitchen and having a frenzy in the last 30 mins before serving.

#7 Lunafreya

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

I normally make trifle.  This means buying most of the ingredients, assembling most of it the day before.  it norally contains cake, mousse, custard, cream, merengue, fruit...

Hmmm...

Maybe I'll jazz it up this year, add some jelly as ex isn't there to ruin it. Call it a traversity.  Maybe add some more fruit, make it tropical themed.

I normally have prawns in come capacity. Peach halves with cranberry sauce (which will be hard as the shop that sold them has closed). Baked veggies and salad.

Unsure really as it depends who is coming. I do like hosting though.

#8 onetrick

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

We do cold meat (smoked Turkey, ham, and then whatever else depending on who is hosting- prawns, chicken, whatever...) and salads for lunch (I got some from Costco last year and they were amazing!!).
Dessert is usually a pavlova and one or two other things. Mum makes an amazing ice cream plum pudding, which I'm always begging her to make!
We try not to do much (if anything) on the day other than carving/ plating up.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

Cold meats & salads here as well.

Plus plum puddings, apricot balls, rum balls, big seasonal fruit platter (so cherries, mango etc), and generally a large amount of other snack foods.

#10 Ivy Ivy

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

We BBQ a big fish (smother it with oil, lemon juice and fresh herbs/chilli then wrap it in alfoil) and BBQ marinated prawns.  Salad.  Drinks.  Pavlova.

#11 Emm27

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Seafood. All the seafood. Along with Chicken Treat chicken for my sister who doesn’t eat seafood.

Chicken Treat chicken is a family tradition though. Growing up we had it hot with roast veggies for Xmas lunch and cold leftovers with salad for Xmas dinner.

The first time I went to my in-laws and they cooked an actual roast I was so impressed - we never even had that for Xmas lunch!

#12 got my tinsel on

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:45 PM

Brekkie:  croissants and jam, waffles with fresh fruit and maple syrup, fresh juice and coffee.

Lunch:  Ham, smoked salmon, prosciutto and melon, prawns, chicken (picked up from our local El Jannah - yummmm).

Salads:  potato salad, bean salad (like the old KFC recipe - made a couple of days before to 'steep'), avocado and mango salad (Matthew Hayden's recipe).

Trifle and pav.

#13 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

We are hosting for brunch this year (which I'm frankly thrilled about - such an easier meal than ham and Turkey etc).

I'm going to have a few flavours of greek yoghurt, with fruits and different types of grainy seedy things to sprinkle on, some scrambled eggs and bacon, and maybe some smoked salmon, some fancy breads, a variety of spreads, some croissants and maybe some cheeky mimosas. Tea and coffee too obviously!

#14 Bearynice

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

We are hosting, but it will only be for ten people.

We will probably do some hot turkey and big tray of roast veggies.
Also some cold ham, chicken, some salads and platters of nibbley things ( yummy cheeses, dips etc)

Dessert... I’m not sure. We will decide together. But kids normally request an “ice cream shop” which is ice cream, lollies and topping!

#15 JomoMum

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:22 AM

This is awesome! I’m adding a lot of these to my list, especially the easy ones :)

#16 3babygirls

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

Breakfast: Croissants with spreads (jam, honey, ham & cheese), fruit salad, juice, tea and coffee

Lunch: Oysters, prawns, chicken, ham, calamari, salads, trifle for dessert.

Dinner: Pork with crackle, Turkey, potatoes, cauliflower bake, carrots, other veg, gravy.
Trifle, pudding, and something else that I can't remember

#17 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

i always do a glazed ham. depending on numbers we usually do a roast turkey or pork, duck fat potatoes, a green salad....someone usually brings prawns and oysters. dessert is a cheese platter, pavlova, lemon tart - I’ve done a buche de noel before which was well received (bit fiddly though) - and we always have nice chocolates, rum balls etc. lots of champagne.

eta - i love hosting

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 05 October 2019 - 07:48 AM.

#18 Hands Up

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

Glazed ham the day before served cold (my mums specialty)
Duck fat potatoes and yorkies (DH) and cold potato salad (Dad)
Other salads (me)
Salmon Blinis to start and pancakes in the morning (me)
Loads of chips and booze

We order the ham and the prawns and pick it up on the 24th

All other food and booze shopping on the 22nd  to avoid the craziness

#19 *Arabella*

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

We always have croissants with mimosas for breakfast. I have smoked salmon on mine, the others have ham or condiments.

This year I'm planning to have prawns with a few dipping sauces, blinis, champagne and maybe oysters when guests arrive.

Then for lunch a glazed ham, turducken, sticky chicken wings for the kids, potato salad, caprese salad, wild rice salad and some dressed lettuce leaves. Lots of wine ☺

Dessert is always a plum pudding we flambe, custard, home made ice cream, berries and chocolate truffles.

#20 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

for the croissants on christmas morning people - do you have a bakery that opens christmas morning? it’s a lovely idea but our local patisserie is closed xmas day and it’s not quite the same getting them the day before....

#21 eponee

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 03 October 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

I normally make trifle.  This means buying most of the ingredients, assembling most of it the day before.  it norally contains cake, mousse, custard, cream, merengue, fruit...

Hmmm...

Maybe I'll jazz it up this year, add some jelly as ex isn't there to ruin it. Call it a traversity.  Maybe add some more fruit, make it tropical themed.

I normally have prawns in come capacity. Peach halves with cranberry sauce (which will be hard as the shop that sold them has closed). Baked veggies and salad.

Unsure really as it depends who is coming. I do like hosting though.

I remember last year's thread about the peach halves.  Hopefully you'll get your hands on some.

#22 JBH

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 05 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

for the croissants on christmas morning people - do you have a bakery that opens christmas morning? it’s a lovely idea but our local patisserie is closed xmas day and it’s not quite the same getting them the day before....

One year I made them from scratch. Needed to start the day before and get up early to finish the process. They were very well received but not exactly low fuss. I actually like a bit of show off cooking (and sometimes nod along when Ellie Bean suggests her husband engages in Very Important Baking to escape other duties).

Edit - I wonder if the patisserie would sell you unbaked croissants that need to prove in the fridge overnight?

Edited by JBH, 05 October 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

I buy croissants the day before ... is that a travesty? Oops ...

I will be away the ten days before Christmas and arrive home 5pm Christmas Eve, so I am trusting DD1 to go out and buy the stuff for breakfast! We usually have more of a brunch these days with croissants, fruit platter, yoghurt etc. someone else will be hosting dinner so I won’t worry about that but have started scoping the aisles at the supermarket for a few bits and bobs to put away for Christmas Eve dinner which is always a grazing table (before there were grazing tables) only I do use plates. So some cheeses and dips and crackers veggies to dip, biscuits, cold meat and so forth.

I’m hoping DD1 is up to picking up the fresh stuff if I leave her a list ... probably with pictures!

#24 humphreybear

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostJBH, on 05 October 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Edit - I wonder if the patisserie would sell you unbaked croissants that need to prove in the fridge overnight?

No harm in asking. One year that is what we got as they had sold out of cooked ones.  Nothing like freshly baked croissants.

LB - do you have a good buche de Noel recipe?

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

View Posthumphreybear, on 05 October 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

No harm in asking. One year that is what we got as they had sold out of cooked ones.  Nothing like freshly baked croissants.

LB - do you have a good buche de Noel recipe?

yes - good idea, i will ask.

for the buche de noel - I do Nigella’s -

https://www.nigella....ecipes/yule-log

the first time i made it I freaked out - it really is quite fiddly and when you go to roll the log it will crack - guaranteed - but the recipe has this delicious chocolate icing that hides all cracks - truly. it’s worth it.

i decorate with holly sprigs and we have this great chocolate store nearby (Belle Fleur for sydneysiders) who do these lovely little chocolate mushrooms so i usually use a few of those in the decorations - and my children invariably adorn with a lego santa from their advent calendar - all very twee but quintessentially christmas-y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.