Christmas Food!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 marple

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 05 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

for the croissants on christmas morning people - do you have a bakery that opens christmas morning? it’s a lovely idea but our local patisserie is closed xmas day and it’s not quite the same getting them the day before....

I posted this before but I reheat them with swiss cheese , ham, marmalade mustard and rosemary in a garland. They come up great. Otherwise buy the ones from Woolies and open them in the morning and reheat.

#27 Thylacine

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

View Posthumphreybear, on 05 October 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

do you have a good buche de Noel recipe?

I have made this one before... The frangelico cream was amazing

https://www.taste.co...67-7e074d4850ac

Edited by Thylacine, 05 October 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#28 Freddie'sMum

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

If it's just us (me, DH and the DDs) I am very low key.  So I will buy croissants on Xmas Eve to eat on Xmas morning.  Lots of fruit, strawberries, raspberries. Sparkling wine for DH and I.  Lemonade for the girls.

One year I did a roast chicken or cold cuts of meat.  Salads. More fruit.  Lots of chocolate !

Because it's usually such a huge, stressed out build up to the actual day itself - I really don't want to spend hours in the kitchen on Xmas day.

#29 cvbn

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

I do a huge breakfast, mostly prepped the night before

Kedgeree (rice, eggs and smoked fish, delicious)
Mac and Blue Cheese
Croissant (just Woolies ones) filled with chocolate ganache
Fruit salad
Bagel half with smoked salmon, avocado, cream cheese and capers.

Bucks Fizz and coffee.

Late lunch of roast meat and decadent salads.

I also make lots of truffles in different flavours (these are handy to hand out as gifts too)

Dessert is Pina Colada fridge cake.

Supper is delicious leftovers.

I can't wait! :xmas_biggrin:

#30 littlepickle

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

I always do a glazed ham - same recipe for the last 17 years... mix up the glaze the day before.
DH removes the rind
Into a large disposable alfoil tray
1st round glaze 45 minutes
2 nd round 45 minutes

Take to hosts house (if not us) further 30 min on low heat
Looks super impressive
Leave remaining ham with hosts (and a ham bag)

Whoever hosts tends to put out a ‘menu’ and everyone picks a few things that they enjoy cooking / purchasing.
This is usually done 8 weeks in advance so plenty of time to get organised.

#31 Riotproof

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

It may not be fancy enough for some of you, but the Coles croissants on the foil trays need slight cooking before serving which seems to make them fresh for me.

I am unsure if the bigger boxes of them are the same, I never need that many croissants.

#32 spr_maiden

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

View Postmarple, on 05 October 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

I posted this before but I reheat them with swiss cheese , ham, marmalade mustard and rosemary in a garland. They come up great. Otherwise buy the ones from Woolies and open them in the morning and reheat.

Ok, so, this is one of those recipes that makes me feel like I'm missing out as a non-meaty eater lol.
What is this divine sounding mustard marmalade? And what vego food would it taste good with you think?

#33 marple

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 06 October 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Ok, so, this is one of those recipes that makes me feel like I'm missing out as a non-meaty eater lol.
What is this divine sounding mustard marmalade? And what vego food would it taste good with you think?

Oh sorry it is mustard ( dijon) and marmalade ( breakfast), rosemary, swiss cheese and leg ham. You could leave out the ham I think. Cut them in half , fill , and then alternate each half in a circle. Sprinkle with rosemary . Bake.

Fill the empty centre circle with berries after they are cooked ( only takes about 5 minutes )  if you are feeling fancy.
Super easy, but looks fancy and you can make it as big as your largest tray or make a couple.
I just use Coles/Woolies croissants as they need a few minutes extra cooking anyway so works out well.

#34 spr_maiden

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

Yum!

#35 just2ofus

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

View Postmarple, on 06 October 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Oh sorry it is mustard ( dijon) and marmalade ( breakfast), rosemary, swiss cheese and leg ham. You could leave out the ham I think. Cut them in half , fill , and then alternate each half in a circle. Sprinkle with rosemary . Bake.

Fill the empty centre circle with berries after they are cooked ( only takes about 5 minutes )  if you are feeling fancy.
Super easy, but looks fancy and you can make it as big as your largest tray or make a couple.
I just use Coles/Woolies croissants as they need a few minutes extra cooking anyway so works out well.

I saw this mentioned last year in a Christmas thread, tried it, LOVED it, back on the menu this year 🤤

#36 kimasa

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

I was flicking through a cookbook from the new books tub at work and came across a lovely looking maple roasted peach cake that looked kind of festive, but not in your face festive.

#37 eponee

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:26 PM

Nagi's Italian Cheese Log is so good!!!

https://www.recipeti...ian-cheese-log/

#38 eilca

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

So we have a vegan child and a vegetarian child.  We will still have all the trimmings at the extended family dinner but I am on the hunt for nice vegan festive recipes.  Both daughters will help with the cooking, so it wont be painful.

#39 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

Vegan pav
Full butternut pumpkin roast
Vegetable puff tart
Vegan trifle

#40 born.a.girl

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 05 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

for the croissants on christmas morning people - do you have a bakery that opens christmas morning? it’s a lovely idea but our local patisserie is closed xmas day and it’s not quite the same getting them the day before....

We're lucky enough to be within walking distance of one that used to rate highly if anyone bothered to do a survey in Melbourne.

We have to have our order in by a certain date, then collect by xam.

It's changed hands now and they're stone cold, but the previous owners (who were the ones who got the rave reviews) would sell them pretty much out of the oven, and collections were staggered over several hours.

At least being able to collect them at the crack of dawn is still useful.

#41 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

https://www.delscook...ce-gluten-free/ I’ve done something similar to this for a vego Christmas main alongside the same trimmings as everyone else. Walnuts and mint seem Christmassy and I think we added some cranberry sauce.

#42 Riotproof

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

View Posteilca, on 03 November 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

So we have a vegan child and a vegetarian child.  We will still have all the trimmings at the extended family dinner but I am on the hunt for nice vegan festive recipes.  Both daughters will help with the cooking, so it wont be painful.

Would they like a nut roast?

Or something like this https://www.bbcgoodf...ccan-spiced-pie

#43 BBC

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

We are having overseas visitors who prefer plain food so I think I am doing steak on the BBQ and maybe some marinated chicken.

Cold ham, potato cream casserole, oven bake mini rolls.
Some sort of leafy salad with roast pumpkin and feta.
Three bean mix type salad.

Pavlova and trifle for dessert. And a fruit and cheese platter.

Sometimes I do pancakes with fresh fruit, icecream and berry or chocolate sauce for breakfast, but sometimes we don't bother.

I might get some turkey after Christmas and do the roast another day.

#44 qak

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

View PostEmm27, on 03 October 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Seafood. All the seafood. Along with Chicken Treat chicken for my sister who doesn’t eat seafood.

Chicken Treat chicken is a family tradition though. Growing up we had it hot with roast veggies for Xmas lunch and cold leftovers with salad for Xmas dinner.

What is Chicken Treat? Not meaning to be nasty, it sounds like pet food :omg:

#45 JBH

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

This is good: https://www.jamieoli...egan-m-hanncha/

Jamie Oliver has a whole section of his website dedicated to vegan Christmas food.

#46 kimasa

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

See if your local library has this in:
https://www.booktopi...QcaAmy9EALw_wcB

We got it in at work last year and I borrowed it because a number of my friends are vegan. There's some really nice recipes in there.

#47 CCABW

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

Breakfast - bacon sandwiches and champagne
Entree - prawns - might try doing some wrapped in filo
Main - steak, sausages, salads, roast potatoes, dinner rolls
Dessert - pavlova
Later - cheeses, dried fruit and nuts, grapes, quince paste, crackers
Later still - coffee, mince pies

#48 MandaMama

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

View Postqak, on 03 November 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

What is Chicken Treat? Not meaning to be nasty, it sounds like pet food :omg:

Chicken Treat is a fast food chain, like Red Rooster, but only in WA as far as I am aware. I grew up in Perth and yes, there was always something particularly yummy about Chicken Treat chicken! Haven't lived there in nearly 20 years though but it must still be going!

#49 EmmaFY

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:09 PM

We leave early morning to drive an hour away to DH's family for breakfast. Last year I made cranberry orange nut bread, and it was requested again.
https://www.theworkt...d-easy-healthy/
The rest of breakky is usually a full standard breakfast with a mimosa or beer.

Lunch is something super snacky and very light once we get home.

Dinner is our big family do with my Mum's side which usually has around 40 adults and 50 million kids and grandkids - my cousins coming back home from Mildura, Melbourne and this year, Dublin! We chip in some cash and/or bring something to share. We do roasts (chicken, turkey, lamb, glazed ham), prawns and oysters, veg, salad, way too many desserts and drinks we'll do a couple of fruit punches, beer, wine and cider. If people want harder stuff they'll BYO.

My specialty is thrice-cooked duck fat potatoes, so I'll be taking those otherwise not allowed in? Haha.

This is serious business. There's even a Facebook group dedicated to our Christmas gathering, which starts becoming active around August each year. Pure (organised) chaos.

#50 eilca

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:38 AM

Thank you gorgeous people!! Some yummy recipes to explore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.