Where have all the ATMs gone...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

About a month ago the local branch of our bank closed down. It was sad, they were very helpful and friendly in there, but I took it as a sign of the times and as there were two ATMs outside I thought oh well, at least we can get cash out.

Then a few weeks ago I go down to use the ATM and one is out of order, the other one has been removed.

A week or so later I go to the ATM near my work. It came up out of order, I went to the machine next to it, “no cash available. The third one had been removed.

Just now I needed to get some cash out, thought there’s two at central station, so I went to have a look and they have both been removed.

So EB, is this disappearing ATM machines/no cash available/bank closures something that other people are noticing or am I just having exceptionally bad luck!

#2 MarigoldMadge

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:04 PM

Traffic at ATM's is falling....

https://www.business...ustralia-2017-3

#3 MarigoldMadge

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

https://www.4bc.com....ralian-streets/

The Reserve Bank of Australia has conducted a study into our cash usage, with the results prompting it to forecast the slow death of ATMs in their current form.

Insight Manager at [url="http://finder.com.au/"%5DFinder.com.au%5B/url%5D Graham Cooke tells Chris Smith he expects ATMs to effectively disappear from Australian streets within the next ten years.

“The amount of time across the day ATMs are being used for has gone down over the last few years from about 12 or 13 hours of continuous use, down to only three or four per ATM.”

Edited by MarigoldMadge, 04 October 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#4 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

And yet when I go to deposit cash at my local bank they always redirect me to their annoying “Smart ATM” that spits my money back at me half the time because it can’t read the notes.

#5 red_squirrel

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:27 PM

We are moving towards a cashless society.

We are also moving towards negative interest rates on savings.

I’m sure it’s all just a coincidence.

#6 Mose

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Ever since the banks stopped charging for using the wrong brand of ATM (i.e using a Commonwealth ATM to get money from a Westpac account used to cost $2), it hasn't been so worthwhile for them to be everywhere anymore.

It uses to be there would be 4 within walking distance of each other, now you'd be lucky to find one in the same area, luckier still if it is working, and should buy a lotto ticket if it is working AND gracious enough to spit out the mix of twenties and fifties you were hoping for!

#7 Weavile

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

This was pretty much inevitable when the "Other Bank ATM fee" was removed by the big banks. That fee earned lots of money and without it ATM's just become a cost.

We only have two ATM's in the town I live, one is an independent so still charges, and the other is at a branch, I think most people have moved to making withdrawals while shopping and that'll be the only way to get cash moving forward.

#8 Caribou

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

I get my cash out at woolies self serve now. So much more convienient. I can get $5 out opposed to $20 and it’s free. I haven’t touched an ATM in months. I very rarely use them and use card more too.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

I have them but I think it is only because I am around the corner from a shopping center

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

They are disppearing from shopping malls as well. Banks are moving into the malls and you are expected to walk to them. The random ATMs tucked beneath escalators or near thd food court have gone.

#11 BornToLove

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostCaribou, on 04 October 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

I get my cash out at woolies self serve now. So much more convienient. I can get $5 out opposed to $20 and it’s free. I haven’t touched an ATM in months. I very rarely use them and use card more too.

Same. ‘Cash’ has become a grocery list item instead of a seperate errand to the bank.

#12 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

I hadn't realized until I read this thread,  but I rarely use ATMs anymore. I get cash out when I do the grocery shopping each Saturday - enough to use at the farmers market on Sunday,  pay DS's tennis coach,  plus a bit extra. Then I often go the whole week without going near a shop until Saturday comes round again.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

It’s hard to find and ATM round here except for at the major shopping centres.

But the one, and only one, good thing about self serve check outs, is that I can walk up to one and get cash out without buying something and not feel guilty about it.

Although, lately half the self serve checkouts have become cars only!! No cash! So annoying.

DH is my ATM also, no idea where he goes but he always has cash on him.

#14 liveworkplay

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:00 PM

View PostBornToLove, on 04 October 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

Same. ‘Cash’ has become a grocery list item instead of a seperate errand to the bank.

Yes. This is me as well.

#15 RynandStompy

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

View PostMose, on 04 October 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Ever since the banks stopped charging for using the wrong brand of ATM (i.e using a Commonwealth ATM to get money from a Westpac account used to cost $2), it hasn't been so worthwhile for them to be everywhere anymore.

imo it's not only they've lost a revenue stream of ATM fees, and a trend of people moving to cashless transactions but all big banks are actively reducing ATM volumes due to cost reduction exercises. They've got to pay for their Royal Commission failure  fixups somehow!

What is masked I suspect in research into non ATM use, is supermarkets filling a quasi-ATM need by providing cash out at grocery transactions. Our suburb has lost 4 ATMs in past year and 1 bank branch. It's only got a Coles in walk distance and staff there say cashout volumes . have hugely increased. The banks are relying on Coles etc to not charge fees and continue that cash service while they reduce branches and ATMs.

Edit: I missed the 2 posts before me who also mention grocery shopping. And looks like some are already moving to reduce cashout.

Edited by RynandStompy, 04 October 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

Cash is dying a fast death! I pay for almost everything with my watch now!

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

Avoid using cash like the plague, and when we do need it, it's cash out at the supermarket.

Only time we've used ATMs in recent years is overseas.

#18 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostCaribou, on 04 October 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

I do this also.  Mind you the only cash i carry is a few coins for gold coin dontations to whatever.

#19 AliasMater

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

I honestly haven't used an ATM in over a decade.

I get cash out about once every 2 months. The same $50 sees me through that long.

#20 AliasMater

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 04 October 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Cash is dying a fast death! I pay for almost everything with my watch now!

Yep, it's my phone for me.

I don't even take my wallet grocery shopping any more. In fact I rarely take my wallet anywhere. Just to the hospital or GP because they want to physically see the Medicare card.

I have my loyalty cards stored in an app and use tap and pay on my phone.

#21 Sandra

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

Our shopping centre ones have gone. I think most just go in to Woolies or Coles and get money out if cash is needed, my daughter certainly does this.

#22 rosie28

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

I hardly ever use an ATM, when I do I get out $100 and it lasts me months. I do love that there’s one (actually 4, and a branch) across the toad from my work. I’m about to go on maternity leave again, and my previous strategy has been to get $1000 out in cash before I go on leave, and se show long I last. I actually have no idea where to find an ATM in the suburb I live it, have only been here 1.5 years!

#23 hills mum bec

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

I can’t temember the last time I used an ATM.  I have always used supermarkets to withraw cash.

#24 Jane Jetson

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

Now I have, "Where are all the flowers gone," stuck in my head, bah

We seem to have had a few more show up lately around here - suburban ACT. There are a couple of little suburban shopping centres which now have one, which is useful, whereas a couple of years ago they didn't.

#25 JRA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

I probably use cash at most once a month.

DS is funny, every now and then I ask if he has money, he looks at me and simply says "i have my phone" basically why would I need more than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.