Travel stroller recommendation please!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 livelifelovehappy

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

I’m currently looking at Babyzen YoYo or Reds baby Skip.

Thoughts on either? Thanks everyone.

Bubs is six months, petite and we have holidays planned for the next 4 school holidays, ranging from interstate driving to international and domestic flights. Mostly interested in sun shade and compactness.

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

I have the ebay cheapie version of the babyzen yoyo & its certainly super compact.

Shade coverage isnt as good as my combi stroller, but significantly better than than my target cheapie stroller.

My tall 3 year old still fits in it for the rare occasion we need a stroller. Its not the best off-road, but its ok.

#3 Zippypeaks

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

I have the Baby Jogger City Mini and its great, I use it as our everyday stroller now. Good canopy, descent basket below and an additional storage pocket. Folds up really easy but ive never used the backpack bag. It's often on sale at Baby Bunting.

Edited by Zippypeaks, 04 October 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Get the yo-yo! We have an eBay rip off version that was half the price. It’s been very well used, went overseas 3 times, and is still going strong. DS was 2-4 years old when we used it. I even had both kids sitting in it once, it’s surprisingly strong.

Airlines often ask “is it a yo-yo?” Because they know the yo-yo will fit in the overhead locker. We take it on the plane because the walk to the gate can be really long for small legs, and it’s handy to hang a backpack off too.

My 5 year old is too big for it now (but still can squish in) my 4 year old still fits.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:59 PM

And, in hindsight, I should have bought the real yo-yo, I didn’t realise I would use it so much. It became my every day shopping stroller for a while there cause it was so light and easy to get out of the boot. And took up no room in my boot, so I just left it in there and used it all the time. The real yo-yo has a bigger basket underneath than mine, and is a bit sturdier.

#6 ~Bob~

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

I have the yo-yo. I did a lot of international travel this year and I loved it. It fits in the overhead locker. A lot of the ‘travel strollers’ don’t, so make sure you google the dimensions of the one you’re looking at. The shade coverage is good. It also fits in the car in front of the car seat, so you don’t need any boot space for it. It helps when you have one of those SUV’s with no boot space. The only con is that it’s expensive, but if you look after it, it re-sells very well. There are also a lot around for hire if you’d rather that.

#7 Magnolia2

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Mountain Buggy Nano.

Folded down specs are similar to Yo-yo, and we had no trouble getting it on board, but we chose the Nano for a few reasons:

- higher weight limit so we get a few years’ use out of it;
- slightly higher seat back, so more room when reclined for sleeping
- tray accessory on the bumper bar (purchased separately for $20) — this is a game changer. DS had lunches in his pram while we were on the go and a little space to play with stuff too!

We also bought a universal sun shade so that there was a bigger canopy of shade over the seat (another $10).

We also tried the Baby Jogger, but DS seemed to slip down in the seat, so the strap was pressing on his crotch. We loved the Skip, but it’s quite a bit bigger once folded down, and we weren’t up for carrying that around.

I should say: it’s fine on most paved, gravel and flat grass, but don’t expect it to roll like a full sized pram or do “off road” stuff....

#8 daisy007

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

I have the skip and it’s brilliant. I’ve used it for my toddler when he was 6 months old through to my 4 year old when he was tired in the airport at 1am. I’ve taken it onboard domestic and international flights with Jetstar, Qantas, virgin and air New Zealand without any issues, I always ask at check in if it will be ok to take on board and so far every airline has said yes. I use it as my everyday pram because it’s so damn easy and takes up so little boot space, it’s also a lot nicer looking than the other travel prams imo.

#9 ~Bob~

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

The redsbaby skip looks lovely. It's important to note that it's slightly larger than cabin size. Some airlines might not let it through. That said, you can check them at the gate, so it's at the plane door when you disembark. That is still very handy.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

DD slept while we pushed the nano over cobblestones. I was quite surprised! It’s now the pram that lives in the car with baby number 2. A good UV shade (that covers the whole pram) is more useful I think - I use ours all summer.

#11 alchetta

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:43 PM

We got a Zoe XLC from the US using Shopmate through Australia Post and it was way cheaper even with shipping than the local options, but proved amazing on six overseas flights and all over the place in the overhead locker and airports.
- US$89 on sale for "open box return" (still new)
- canopy folds right down over child or can be zipped to be a smaller canopy, with magnetic peek flap
- reclines almost fully
- adjustable foot rest so baby can comfortably have legs up but toddler can use foot rest
- stretchy basket underneath plus phone pocket and optional cupholder
- 4 D rings to attach travel strap(s)
- one hand, one button fold
- phone pocket in back
- 5.9kg and fits all airline carry on reqs

However I understand it can be a pain ordering from the US so my other rec would be the mountain buggy nano, there are lots second hand. I would have bought the baby jogger city tour or whatever their carry on one is called if I hadn't found the Zoe XLC.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

I remember seeing the zoe & being thoroughly disappointed it wasnt sold in Australia.

#13 alchetta

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:11 PM

It's the single reason I ended up getting a Shopmate account and now have an address in the US LOL! Was well worth it.

#14 livelifelovehappy

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone!!

#15 EmmDasher

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

We got a Zoe Stroller too. They’re the bomb. We had to check it at the gate for one budget airline but others let it go in cabin overhead. I regret not buying the travel bag for it though. Ours went to Japan with us and handled snowy terrain with no worries.

#16 Grassyrat

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

What about the silver cross Jet? Fits in overhead locker in the plane and looks to have lots of features

#17 sahmie

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I love my redsbaby skip so much that I’ve retired our regular pram in favour of it for daily use as well as for travel.
It’s super light, and handles uneven paths like a boss. The fold is easy, I love the harness, and toddler loves it too. The MB nano snack tray is compatible if you need one, and a luggage strap can be used to make the seat even more upright if your LO prefers it.

#18 blackcat20

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

View PostGrassyrat, on 05 October 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

What about the silver cross Jet? Fits in overhead locker in the plane and looks to have lots of features

We have the Jet, it’s great. We’ve taken it to NZ, the US and Thailand and it hasn’t skipped a beat. No issues taking it onboard multiple airlines, and reclines enough for even a three month old.

#19 livelifelovehappy

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

Oh wow, the jet and Zoe both look great too! Have only seen to yoyo in action, will have to check out the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.