Shocking headlines on email log in pages (trigger warning).

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 limakilo

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

It seems like every time I go to log in to my email from the provider home page there is yet another shocking headline, or inappropriate photo, and I can't figure out how to turn it off.
Today I looked at all of the providers, and Yahoo had a shocking headline about a man who killed his wife and kids. It really shocked me that the reporter chose to use the words that they did, and that it's ok to put that on a front page.
Kids use this email provider and they are seeing this too.
I have complained before, but it never goes anywhere.
I understand it is news, but the headline was so graphic, and unnecessary.
Is there an authority to complain to about internet advertising?
Do you know how to customise your homepage?
I guess that works at home, but if you were to log in from any other computer you are back there with the graphic news in your face.

#2 alchetta

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

Can you download an email client (software like thunderbird, outlook, others might have suggestions) and use that program rather than the login page in a browser?

#3 rosie28

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

I don’t think gmail has this issue? I can see how Yahoo might with their connections but I’ve never seen it otherwise.

#4 JoanJett

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Gmail has a minimum age of 13 for email.

My kids have an iCloud account that they access via Mail.  When they are old enough, they will have Gmail accounts.

#5 limakilo

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

I have outlook for work, and use another provider email on my phone, so skip all the emails, but we often help clients at work log in to their emails, and we have to do that from the homepage, Yahoo seems to be the worst as it takes you to the news page.

#6 JustBeige

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

Can you bookmark the log in link and use that instead.

for example. I use Bigpond.  If I want to go to their webmail, I select their bigpond media page.  This has the Webmail button.

but when I select the webmail button it brings me to the log in page.   This is the page that I have bookmarked so I can skip their main page

#7 Silver Girl

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

This bothers me too, OP - at home and work. Those headlines are not G rated, and DS has been present when I’ve logged in. I use Outlook. Following for solutions.

#8 JRA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:05 PM

What do you mean?

I just googled Yahoo login and it has no headlines, just a login page

https://login.yahoo.com/

#9 mayahlb

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

I’ve never seen one in all the years I’ve used hotmail. Maybe because rather then log in at the msn site I just got to hotmail.com ? It’s just a page advertising outlook.

#10 petal71

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

JRA - that's not the Yahoo AU login page site.
The one most AU users will be using is:

https://au.yahoo.com/

This is what I have bookmarked on laptop and I totally agree with OP. It is complete clickbait and sickens me. I don't log on when DS is up, I use app on my phone that has no ads.

I have thought about changing many a time to Gmail or similar, esp when acct security was compromised a few yrs ago. However, I worry that in the transition, old emails will be lost and it's really important for me to keep old emails.

Can someone pls explain the thunderbird concept to me as I dont quite understand this...

Edited by petal71, 04 October 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#11 kimasa

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

Use outlook (live, hotmail etc redirect to there).

It's a nice plain homepage with pictures of people reading emails on it.

#12 foxbread

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

I use mail.yahoo.com to log in, i think this address might actually predate their various "news" content by a decade or more. Or at least I've managed to steadily avoid all that, and I think I might've had a yahoo account since about 1998....

#13 foom

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

Try mail.yahoo.com.au. I find that avoids the main page.

#14 petal71

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Foom, that seems to work. Will delete search history to get rid of links to old one, and then bookmark that one!

#15 petal71

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

I have also just found that if you use Edge as your browser and have the same issue, you can select personalise settings and "hide feed" and set it to display a blank page whenever you open Edge. Bliss!

#16 JRA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

View Postpetal71, on 04 October 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

JRA - that's not the Yahoo AU login page site.
The one most AU users will be using is:

https://au.yahoo.com/

This is what I have bookmarked on laptop and I totally agree with OP. It is complete clickbait and sickens me. I don't log on when DS is up, I use app on my phone that has no ads.

I have thought about changing many a time to Gmail or similar, esp when acct security was compromised a few yrs ago. However, I worry that in the transition, old emails will be lost and it's really important for me to keep old emails.

Can someone pls explain the thunderbird concept to me as I dont quite understand this...

Thats the news site. The login site is different. Sure there is a link from the news site.

#17 lazycritter

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:05 PM

That's why I love google chrome. It's clean and clear.

#18 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:03 AM

My MIL has yahoo mail. This is why she comes out with the most ludicrous, rubbish, “news” stories sometimes. She believes all their crap. I’ve told her not to read yahoo news, but it’s right there on her iPad every day.

We really need to get her a Gmail account.

#19 foom

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

There used to be a Yahoo mail app. I got rid of it from my Android phone as I didn't use it much (my yahoo account doesn't get much email). But maybe that would be a better choice on the iPad so she doesn't see the news page? Then you can set up a news page you approve of, say, the Guardian or the ABC, as her home page.

#20 limakilo

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

Thanks everyone.
It is mainly yahoo that's the problem, I just can't get over that journalists write such graphic headlines, and it's 99% of the time about murdered women, but the headline is about the man's specific actions.

#21 Froyo

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:20 AM

The yahoo mail app still exists. Use that instead of your browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.