Anyone awake

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:50 PM

DP woke me up a few hours ago.  He needed me to phone the cops as he had seen an intruder in our backyard.

Cops arrived pretty quick and arrested him, but took a long time to resolve, probably 90 min due to a delay in getting an ambulance here, cops decided pretty quickly he was drug affected and would need a hospital assessment.  So we have had flashing lights, cops out the front of our house and super curious neighbours for the last few hours.

Anyway... Our sensitive poppet 5yo slept through the whole thing.  I'm wondering should we just not tell him about it?  I'm leaning towards that but keen to hear from more experienced parents about what they would do.

Wish I wasn't preggo so I could have a stiff drink!

#2 SelceLisbeth

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

Firstly, Im sorry you've had this experience. Secondly, I absolutely would not tell your child. There is no need.

Its good that the police recognised he needed hospital.

I hope you can get some rest now. x

#3 Riotproof

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:02 AM

Only barely.

So sorry and agree with lisbeth, no need to tell him. Keep home a safe place.

#4 Crazyone26989

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:08 AM

Not a parent perspective but that if a child. We had burglars jump over our fence and injure themselves when running from another house when I was a kid. I was terrified so wouldn’t recommend saying anything!

#5 gracie1978

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

Thank you for replying.

l'll let our neighbours know not to mention it around him.

I'll be dropping a thank you gift off to the cops, unbelievably quickly response.

#6 Lunagirl

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

I’m not more experienced than you, but I agree with not telling him. What gain would there be?

Look after yourself tomorrow and have a nap if you can!

#7 sahmie

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:29 AM

Absolutely don’t tell him. My kids already have fears about strangers getting in their windows. A story like this would guarantee they never sleep again.

#8 gettin my fance on

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:52 AM

Please don't tell your little one.

DD (around 9yo at the time) and I arrived home years ago to find the front door handle at a wonky angle and not working properly - fortunately it was still locked.

Our elderly neighbour saw us arrive home and came to tell me that he thought a couple of older teens had tried to break into our house.  He had been sitting on his verandah and witnessed it but couldn't get up and go inside his house to call the police because they then would have seen him and he was quite scared.

Anyway the door handle mechanism was buggered and had to be replaced but we hadn't been broken into.  DD however was terrified that the people who had tried to break in would come back.  She was frightened to leave the house in case they did and frightened to stay in case they broke in while we were at home.

It was an awful time and I wish she hadn't been with me when out neighbour told me what had happened.

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

If he does hear somehow, you could frame it as a sick person getting help rather than as someone who could have done you harm.

#10 Odd-1-Out

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:15 AM

I agree with the others I wouldnt tell him. Im sorry this happened to you but im glad nobody was hurt and the police arrived quickly for you.

#11 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 05 October 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

If he does hear somehow, you could frame it as a sick person getting help rather than as someone who could have done you harm.
Agree. If he overhears something and starts asking questions I’d say he was just confused and wandering round so the police came and helped him get somewhere safe. Downplay it. Hope you ok x

#12 Luci

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

What a scary experience. I agree with PP’s - don’t say anything to your DD.  Also Police Officers can’t accept any gifts. You could however write a letter thanking them.

#13 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

100% agree with everyone not to tell your DD. My ex's house was broken into about 6 weeks ago during the day, and DD and her dad came home and found it. She's been very scared ever since (never scared previously) and her sleep has gone out the window.

Hope you're doing OK.

#14 gracie1978

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

All going ok, took the police a bag of biscuits (chocolate, GF etc) and hot drinks, to say thank you.

Our neighbours found clothes and a phone in their backyard so we let the police know and they are going around to collect them.

Hopefully tonight is super boring!!?

#15 seayork2002

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

At 5 I would not feel a need to actually tell me as in there is no need for him to actually need to know.

I lived near a jail growing up so it was second nature to me police chases etc.

For DS personally at 5 would have interrogated the police to find out there secrets and would have gone on and on and on

#16 teaspoon

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

gracie1978, on 05 October 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

Our neighbours found clothes and a phone in their backyard

Were they buried? :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.