Behind the scenes on reality tv

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

https://m.facebook.c..._composer=false

FWIW, I haven’t ever watched the bachelor/ette, and most reality tv isn’t my thing. I don’t even know who the guy in the clip is. I thought it was so interesting though.

Edited by Riotproof, 06 October 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Murderino

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

I don’t know this guy either as I don’t watch the show (watch other “reality” shows though).

An article linked with that SBS show came across my Facebook the other day. It talked about how the shows talk about providing a psychologist for people, testing before hand, providing support after the show etc. The contestants they spoke to talked about that being useless and that there isn’t support after the show ends.

As an aside it annoyed me no end that the person who wrote the captions used “council” instead of “counsel” to caption the agent talking about telling him not to do it.

Edited by Murderino, 06 October 2019 - 10:07 AM.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

I noticed that too.

#4 sahmie

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

I remember him, and yeah he did come off like a complete duche. I feel for him after seeing that.
I read an article on fb this week too about “stars” on reality shows that said you can expect not to work for 2 years after a show airs. You’ll be too famous to return to your normal job, but not famous enough to actually make any money from it.

#5 **Xena**

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

I don't watch reality tv either but I found it interesting on ABC'S You Can't Ask That where they spoke to reality tv stars. Quite insightful!

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for posting this.

I remember him and thinking the same as everyone else and now I feel awful.
My spiel was that 'they know what they are in for' and whilst I think it is true they probably don't know to what level they will be manipulated.

I felt this way about Abbie from the last season of Bachelor, it disgusted me the way she was used to create a 'theme' for ratings.

I am certainly now wondering why the heck I am entertained by this stuff and I should work on ridding myself of my reality addiction. I hate to say it but I think I am just the type of person they target and I don't want to be a part of it.

#7 MooGuru

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

View Postsahmie, on 06 October 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

I remember him, and yeah he did come off like a complete duche. I feel for him after seeing that.
I read an article on fb this week too about “stars” on reality shows that said you can expect not to work for 2 years after a show airs. You’ll be too famous to return to your normal job, but not famous enough to actually make any money from it.

I'd be interested in the statistics around that and the proportion of those people who quit work prior to going on the show with the intention of doing something different i.e. influencer and it not working out for them vs people completely unable to return to a normal life for 2 years.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 06 October 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

https://m.facebook.c..._composer=false

FWIW, I haven’t ever watched the bachelor/ette, and most reality tv isn’t my thing. I don’t even know who the guy in the clip is. I thought it was so interesting though.

I have mixed emotions after seeing this.
I HATE any type of threats/abuse/trolling etc of people. Do not stand for it and try very hard not to engage in it and to consider what the other person might feel reading my comments. I think it is absolutely awful that anyone experiences that.

The thing I'm really struggling to process after watching that is whether it actually confirms some negatives about him more so than it makes me feel sorry for him. I watch the show with a grain of salt, knowing editing etc so even if someone comes across as a douche, I tend to assume what we see isn't them.

But re the career aspect. He said he went into the show as an attempted career move against the express wishes of his agent who begged him not to do it.

I have no doubt that these shows cross ethical boundaries but he never intended to be a genuine contestant. Were the producers promising him fame when they befriended him or a chance at love because if it was fame then he got it, just not with the outcome he wanted.

#9 MessyJ

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

Very interesting! I can see how personalities like his who in context are understandable, are made to look quite unbearable with editing!

It's true they can only show what you do/say, BUT crazy how missing out telling the whole part of the story can create a very untrue narrative!

I feel sorry for him too.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

I know what you mean, mooguru. But clearly some people aren’t able to think so critically. I think the producer in that clip is being a bit defensive.

It also makes me wonder about the psychology of why these shows are so popular.

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

I loathe reality TV. I find it so mind numbing my boring and know it’s nothing more than a few dramatic incidents strung together to form a completely different narrative. It’s so much worse than I imagined. I hope one day the reality TV fad will be over ...

#12 Heather11

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

But re the career aspect. He said he went into the show as an attempted career move against the express wishes of his agent who begged him not to do it.

It looks like he didn't go on there to find love doesn't it.  He said it was "TV, something he might want to get into later".  Basically he went on there to be noticed.

I noticed both Ivan and Apollo both appeared on this season's AGT.  It makes you wonder what there motives for going on the bachelorette were.

#13 Chocolate Addict

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

He went on cos he mates encouraged him to go on 'for a laugh'. I guess he isn't laughing now.

Surely people that go on these shows can see how much creative editing goes on from previous series and other reality shows? Yet almost every time someone pops up with a 'they edited me to look bad' story.

I doubt a very high percentage of contestants go on to find love/cooking career/whatever, they go on for their 15 minutes of fame and hope to get a career in the TV industry or some other 'glamorous' job.

#14 WaitForMe

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

Oh come on! No one goes on those shows to find love!

Whose being naive now?

#15 sahmie

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

No one is going on there to find love. If they were, they’d be average looking guys who APPLIED to go on the show. As we’ve seen, it’s mostly people who are approached by producers themselves.

#16 MooGuru

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 06 October 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Oh come on! No one goes on those shows to find love!

Whose being naive now?

And yet they have a decent success rate for long term relationships.
Matt the last bachelor applied for the bachelorette.
I know someone who was approached to go on a different show. They did, had they not been approached they wouldn't have applied but their intention once they were approached certainly wasn't about trying to make a career in television.

#17 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

MooGuru I’d say the person you know is the exception not the rule. I believe the majority of people who apply for reality tv are in it for the fame or a career in the spotlight.

#18 Heather11

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

View PostOceanTwentyFour, on 06 October 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

MooGuru I’d say the person you know is the exception not the rule. I believe the majority of people who apply for reality tv are in it for the fame or a career in the spotlight.

I think the number going on the shows for fame has probably increased over the years because people have found a career in the spotlight.

#19 Chocolate Addict

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

Yep. Mitch and Mark on The Block have been on another renovation show on TV, a lot of bachelor/ette , love island etc contestants jump from show to show. Are they really looking for love?

#20 Mrs Twit

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

I know a guy who went on Married at FIrst Sight. I thought he was crazy for doing it.

Anyway he told us that the lady he 'married' was really difficult, she kept going off at him and storming off and other interesting behaviour. According to him the producers sympathised with him over her a lot, and told him that the cameras loved him, perhaps he was a chance for Batchelor etc. I think he was very naïve to believe all this. Anyway when the actual show came on TV he got crucified on it and she was portrayed quite well. I know I only heard his side but they did cut stuff so he looked like an absolute ar**. He was treated very badly and I believe life was a bit difficult for him for a while once it aired. I don't believe he treated her well either but he really got sucked into it, and didn't deserve what he got. I felt very sorry for him.

#21 bubskitkat

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

I admit it. I like watching reality tv. I don’t take it too seriously but it’s a break from reality for me.

#22 Tokra

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

To be honest, I think people who go on shows like this should be embarrassed!

Once his agent, who seems to have done a good job representing him over the years, said it was a bad idea, he should have said no and trusted them.

So even though he got screwed. It's kind his own fault.

I don't believe that people have the right to bully people online just because they are famous. It should not be an expected part of the job at all.

#23 CallMeFeral

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:08 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 06 October 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Thanks for posting this.

I remember him and thinking the same as everyone else and now I feel awful.
My spiel was that 'they know what they are in for' and whilst I think it is true they probably don't know to what level they will be manipulated.

This is how I feel too. He did seem like a douche, but he does also seem to have been the victim of a deception he didn't expect.

View PostChocolate Addict, on 06 October 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Surely people that go on these shows can see how much creative editing goes on from previous series and other reality shows? Yet almost every time someone pops up with a 'they edited me to look bad' story.

Do you think most of the people who go on these shows are the people who sit around watching them though?
I'm sure there's a good number who are not followers of such shows, and even actual followers of the shows tend to underestimate the creative editing factor.

View PostMrs Twit, on 06 October 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

I know a guy who went on Married at FIrst Sight. I thought he was crazy for doing it.

Any hints as to who this is? I'm wondering if it's the one I know.

View PostTokra, on 06 October 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

To be honest, I think people who go on shows like this should be embarrassed!

Once his agent, who seems to have done a good job representing him over the years, said it was a bad idea, he should have said no and trusted them.

So even though he got screwed. It's kind his own fault.
expected part of the job at all.

Soo... if someone doesn't take someone else's advice, it's their fault if they suffer?
Wow, that's a really unforgiving point of view. Does it apply to all people who make a mistake or foolish decision, does it mean they should all suffer? And that whoever made them suffer is not responsible, they are? It sounds like shaming the victim to me.

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:15 AM

The three people I know who've been on reality TV all seem to have come out relatively unscathed. One is now reasonably famous and successful across multiple arenas - she is the exception rather than the rule I think. The other two are probably just lucky they were portrayed well and it hasn't harmed their reputation.

#25 MooGuru

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:46 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 07 October 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

The three people I know who've been on reality TV all seem to have come out relatively unscathed. One is now reasonably famous and successful across multiple arenas - she is the exception rather than the rule I think. The other two are probably just lucky they were portrayed well and it hasn't harmed their reputation.

I know one dating show,  3 singing competition, 2 renovations and 1 cooking show. All speak pretty positively about the experiences.

One was on a show with a notable 'villian' who claimed editing etc. They said what we saw was pretty accurate to their experience of that person when on the show. So sure maybe they were manipulated into acting up for the cameras but they maintained that role pretty comprehensively throughout towards all the contestants regardless of whether the cameras were present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.