Slow cooked lamb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greatmum

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

I bought lamb to go in the slow cooker but forgot to get any stock. Can I just put a bit of water and garlic herbs etc.

How do you cook your lamb in the slow cooker? I know years ago i just put it on some alfoil balls??

#2 seayork2002

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Not sure if this helps but I don't like lamb in the slow cooker I just cook it on the lowest oven setting with foil on top in a tray with garlic and rosemary/oregano (well I direct DH to do that)

please ignore if of no use!

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

I throw it in with some rosemary and sometimes a splash of red wine and let it do it’s thing. I’ve also done it with zero liquid. Lamb’s quite a high fat meat, so it doesn’t dry out.

Although, I prefer it oven roasted...

Edited by EsmeLennox, 10 October 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#4 fluffybun

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I usually cut up sweet potato in to large chunks to cover the bottom of the slow cooker then I rub some olive oil over the lamb cover in my favourite herbs and cook on low for 8 hours I hope that helps

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

I’ve seen people talk about covering the bottom of the slow cooker before...what’s the benefit of doing that?

#6 fluffybun

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 10 October 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

I’ve seen people talk about covering the bottom of the slow cooker before...what’s the benefit of doing that?

I use sweet potato to cover the bottom for 2 reasons 1 it keeps the lamb out of the liquid that develops during the cooking and 2 it means that I only have to steam some greens and dinner is ready

#7 Flaxen

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 10 October 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

It stops the meat from over cooking and going hard as the heating element is usually below. I use potatoes onions carrots, whatever veg I'm willing to sacrifice as it usually is squashed and full of meat fat by the end.

#8 eponee

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

If you're going to be home, put it in the oven at about 120 celsius and cover it with foil.  Leave it there for about 5 hours and about 30 mins before serving, remove the foil and turn the oven up really high to brown the meat.  So so good!

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

View Postfluffybun, on 10 October 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

I use sweet potato to cover the bottom for 2 reasons 1 it keeps the lamb out of the liquid that develops during the cooking and 2 it means that I only have to steam some greens and dinner is ready ������

But isn’t all the fatty liquid then just in the veggies?

I’ve never experienced the meat going hard...but it might depend on the type of slow cooker or how long it’s in for.

#10 joykey

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Splash of red wine and garlic.

#11 WaitForMe

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

This is my fave slow cooked lamb recipe.

https://www.jamieoli...ted-vegetables/

I absolutely adore it but DH doesn't really like lamb...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.