Studying and part time work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 steppingonlego

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

I received an email that I have been accepted into the course I wanted next year. Yay

I plan to approach my current t place of work and see if they will let me do 2 days a week but I am prepared for a no.

Just wondering what kind of jobs people have done with full time study (study is 2.5-3 days a week at TAFE)

I used to be a barista so thinking of doing a refresher course and applying for some cafes

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

I work as a part time admin assistant, 3 days a week, in the same area as my study.

My boss is great. I can change my days depending on my study requirements and what days I need to be at uni.

Some semesters I study full time, some I do part time - depends on what’s going on at home and how my mental space is.

Edited by ~J_F~, 10 October 2019 - 02:30 PM.

#3 steppingonlego

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

yes my sister did something similar. Not sure if I can line that up but I am looking in the area.

#4 Babetty

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

Can you let us know your area of study - and whether it's completely different to what you do now? The EB hive Mind might have ideas of part time jobs that would complement your studies

#5 steppingonlego

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

It is a diploma of community services

I am not sure what days or hours the study is as yet

#6 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

It’s really dependant on what the study is and how intensive it is and also sometimes what unit you are doing. I completed a bachelor while working part time. Some semesters were fine and others I was soooooo stressed.

I’m currently doing a Masters. Last semester was fine. Wasn’t stressed really and juggled everything fine. This semester? Ye gods I’m totally over it and have struggled for a number of reasons.

#7 Moukmouk

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

What about home care. My sibling has a range of carers under the NDIS and many are students in related fields. They tell the agency each term when they are available. Often there are some flexible hours available as well. I’m not sure what extra training you might need but it could work well with your study. Or admin. Medical admin jobs can often be part time.

#8 onetrick

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

I did hospitality while I was at uni years ago as it paid fairly well compared to jobs in the field I was studying, and could be flexible for things like placement and exams. This might be something you need as I think the diploma has a compulsory amount of required hours on placement (I teach and we have students doing cert 3 and I know they struggle to fit placement around school and other previous committments).
So if it were me, I'd go something that you dont take home with you, like hospitality and retail. Not easy while you are there, but if you are not aiming to be a manager or something it should be a job where you turn up and get paid to do stuff then leave. No take home work.
But if you could secure work in your area then that would be great on a resume, as well as money for now. I just dont know what's out there so cant really give advice in this area, but pps have been helpful :)

#9 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

If you did a role in aged or disability care, would it make your diploma expenses tax deductible?

When I was studying nursing I could claim tax deductions when working in carer roles, but not when I was a nanny/childcarer.

Might be worth looking at as well?

#10 daisy007

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

I worked in residential care for kids in out of home care whilst studying. It was a juggle with work/kids/study etc but I found shift work gave me good flexibility. Might be a good option for you given it relates directly to your course.

#11 steppingonlego

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

Thank you all great suggestions to look into :)

I will take a look into home care I think I assumed it involved some
type of qualification but worth looking into

Hospitality might be the go I have worked as a barista (but more than 10 years ago) so perhaps a short course to bring me up to speed and I could do that. I really only want 2-3 days or 15-20 hours a week

My diploma is with free tafe which is awesome but we still very much need me bringing in an income while studying

#12 Poppie1

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

I just resigned from my full time working role. I will be beginning my masters next year full time and have secured some part time work in the field that I have been working in- community services. Good luck with your studies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.