McDonalds job interview - what questions etc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 melanieb530

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Hi,

I have a teen going for a first job interview at McDonalds, apparently she has been told it will be a 1 hour time slot (I think perhaps a group interview??)

Any tips or advice at all as to what to expect, what questions they might ask, will they need to do anything practical etc.

Thanks

#2 Nasty Teens

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

From experience, nothing practical and they know they are interviewing teenagers. Dress nicely, be polite, listen as they give info as much as ask questions.

#3 melanieb530

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, yes I was wondering how much they expect from a teens at interview. Wondering if I should try some practice interview questions at home assume they will ask
“Why do you want to work here, what experiences have you had that require teamwork?” Type questions???

#4 limakilo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

They want to see that you can listen, interact as a team member and that you are comfortable leading the group in some way.
They are picturing you working in their store and thinking if you will fit in with their team.
They might ask why you want to work there, don't say it's a foot in the door, or a stepping stone etc, the teen could say something like they have heard that MCDonalds are great employers and have a good training system.
They might ask what you would do with a complaining customer, or a team member stealing, things like that.
Best of luck to your teen!

#5 WaitForMe

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

They want someone reliable, trustworthy, mature, respectful, pleasant to customers.

Look up and practice the STAR interview response technique.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

DS, who works at Maccas, said his was very much ‘tell me about yourself’, ‘what are your interests, hobbies, volunteer stuff’ and ‘why do you want to work at Maccas’ etc type questions. He doesn’t recall anything about team work, skills, work experience etc. It was pretty low key.

#7 littlepickle

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:13 PM

My DS (14) has been working there for around 4 months. Much of the preliminary screening occurs when they put in the initial application and they need to complete the long questionnaire. He just dressed in a nice buttoned shirt, did his hair and was freshly shaved. Lots of general questions but nothing that was difficult to answer for a young teenager.
He had a six week training period and currently works one shift a week (3 hours) which he is enjoying. I assume that as he gains confidence and skills he will be offered more - I will enrol him in a private barista course during the school holidays to expand his opportunity to work in the cafe section.

Good luck

#8 melanieb530

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for all the tips, little pickle good to hear about the 3 hour shift as I was wondering what sort of minimum hours there would be (worried it might be too much to fit in with homework and sports commitments) but 1 or 2,  3 hours shifts a week would be a great start and maybe more during school holidays if possible.

#9 Apageintime

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:46 AM

When I managed stores and interviewed kids I'd always just ask them a few questions about themselves. I just wanted to suss out if they'd be ok talking to customers. If they were confident and clear when they spoke. I wanted to get a feel for the hours they wanted to work and if they had other commitments I'd need to factor into rostering them.

#10 redchick

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:24 AM

Agree with PPs based on my Maccas experience (many years ago!). If it is a DD going for the interview I would also recommend she has her hair pulled back neatly.

#11 melanieb530

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

Little Pickle - with the 6 week training period how many hours a week did that involve?

#12 The new me

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

At DDs interview they had them play Jenga while they asked them questions.

What is good customer service, what is bad customer service etc.  talked about when not many customers, keep busy cleaning etc.

DD has worked there 4 months now and loves it

Definitely dress the part (school uniform acceptable if straight after school) hair tied back is a must

Good luck

#13 doubledelight

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

My DSD did her interview Tuesday afternoon and received an Offer of Employment yesterday.  She's in the process of completing the online Induction so hopefully we'll know more after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.