Moving house

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Daffy2016

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

So DH and I are planning a big move to be closer to family. It will mean a new house, new city and new daycare for DD. She’s 2 - does anyone have any tips to prepare her and explain the move to her? She’s reasonably verbal. Thanks!

#2 tenar

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

Find stories in books about kids who move house and read them to her over and over.

Then use the language in the books to describe what will happen (is happening) with your family.

#3 Silver Girl

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

Agree about the books.

Also, focus on what will be familiar - eg “your teddy and blanket will be at the new house”, “you can take your drink and backpack to your new daycare”. Also talk about how you will visit x family member and she’ll meet new friends at her daycare.

All the best with your move!

#4 Daffy2016

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

Thank you! Any book suggestions?

#5 Grrrumbles

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

Playschool or other similar shows might also have clips you can watch together. Sometimes you can search YouTube.

#6 MrsG2

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

I’m moving too OP, new house , city and daycare here too. I’ve told ds that he’s going to “big boy school “ - we’ll see how it goes when we actually move though!

#7 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

We moved when the youngest was 2 and honestly it made no difference to him at all.  He came with me to the house with each load of things I moved over by car.  I put his toys in the room that was going to be his bedroom, and told him it was his room and he would sleep there soon.  This happened for a few days though.  And he was not in daycare and did not sleep well anyway - so there was no noticeable difference to him.

I also maintained the routine he was used too, so no major changes there either.

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

We moved house when DS2 was just over 2, and he changed daycare also. Like a PP it was really not even a blip for him at all. We even went from full time bedsharing to him in his own new bed.

No harm in over preparing though, just in case. Do you have photos of the new place? You could make your own book about the move and the new place?

#9 casime

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

I moved (long distance) with DS when he was about two and we also flew interstate and then drove back across the country to move a relative in with us.  He started at a new day care centre when we moved into the new house.  I never thought to 'prepare' him for anything at that age, he just went along with what we were doing.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

We moved to a new place when ds was 2ish then countries  when ds was nearly 4, we said we are moving to a new place, then going on a plane to live overseas and that was that.

#11 Apageintime

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:48 PM

We moved interstate when my son was 2. Honestly he coped fine. We didn't prepare him at all, he just came along. His routine stayed the same really so I guess he want phased.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:34 PM

We moved around a bit with DH's work, including when each of the children was around 2:

DS1 2y4m, DS2 5 weeks
DS1 4, DS2 20 mo, DD 3 weeks
DS1 6, DS2 4, DD 2.5

The 2yo part was easy - try moving with a 2yo and a newborn. Then do it again! With DS2 and DD, the moves coincided with them moving from cot to bed as well.

The only real difficulty we had was with DD - we moved to a house where the children's bedrooms were further away from the lounge with TV than in the previous house, and she didn't really like being that far away. When we moved again, it was into a much smaller house and her room was closest to the living areas and she slept much better.

#13 iwanttosleepin

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

we moved quite a bit with DS3.  Born in Australia, went home to Middle East at 4 weeks.  moved house at a few months.  relocated back to Australia at 12 months.  moved in with parents.  moved to our own house at 18 months (rental).  moved to another house at 2 years (bought place).

I am not sure he noticed.. although when we walk past the house we rented he says 'we used to live there'..

And fingers crossed we will be moving again soon....

Edited by iwanttosleepin, 25 October 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#14 iwanttosleepin

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

My DS2 left Australia at age 3.  New daycare, new culture, new house etc.  didn't bat an eyelid.

#15 gatheringpieces

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

Don't *not* tell them, but telling them too much can create anxiety.

Heck, I moved my kids out of  their dad's house suddenly when they were 3.5 and 1.5 and they barely batted an eyelid.

#16 MrsG2

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

We just did our move. Ds has found it very hard. That being said, he wasnt able to have a real orientation at his new childcare. Due to work commitments he finished at his previous daycare last week and started at the new one this week. It’s been hard and sleep has gone out thr window. Poor ds wants to go back to his old house. He will settle in time though

#17 ~J_F~

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

We moved states when DD was 2/3 - it wasnt even an issue for her. She just saw it as a big adventure. I can’t say we prepared her, just told her and she helped get ready and we moved but then we tend to be a pretty go with the flow family (well as much as you can be with a ASD kid). The older kids had more issues but that was to be expected but even they coped well.

#18 BECZ

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

We moved once just a week after DD1’s first birthday and she was unsettled at night for a couple of weeks.  She would wake up crying, which she hadn’t done for some time, but she was happy and fine throughout the day.
We moved again when DD1 was 3 and DS1 was 2.  Dd1 was perfectly fine, but DS1 went backwards a bit in regards to potty training.  He had been dry in the daytime for a few months and went back to wetting and pooing himself.  A few months down the track and he was 100% dry, day and night. Mind you, DD2 was born 4 days after we moved, so there was a lot going on.

I think all kids handle things differently OP and all we can do is support and reassure them where we can. The books are a great idea.

Hope your DS settles in soon MrsG2.

Edited by BECZ, 02 November 2019 - 12:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.