Is a nappy rash painful?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:16 AM

My 8 month old has a nappy rash from hell, but for some reason doesn't seem to react to it all? Her nappy area looks beetroot red, but it doesn't seem to hurt her?. My cousin told me that when her daughter had a nappy rash, she would scream all day and night especially if water touched it. I'm just wondering because my son has a very high pain tolerance and I think maybe his sister is like him.

#2 Caribou

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:05 AM

Unless the area is raised then no it wouldn’t be painful for some.
Give the baby nappy free time. Put on some barrier cream until the rash clears when using a nappy.

Nappy rashes are normal. Don’t fret.

Also please stop comparing. I know you’re worried about the baby having ASD like your son, but you’re missing out on e joying your baby with all this fretting. Take one day at a time.

I hope you’re still seeing your therapist, do let them know how you’re feeling if you haven’t yet.

Edited by Caribou, 11 October 2019 - 06:50 AM.

#3 rowd

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

My son very occasionally gets what appears to be bad nappy rash, and it has never bothered him. I always feel sorry for him but he doesn't find it painful to touch at all. So definitely possible for it to not hurt.

#4 Crazyone26989

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

My DS only gets upset if he has a particularly annoying poo but otherwise his nappy rash doesn’t bother him. I think it bothers me more!

#5 spartan_mum

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

The only time nappy rash bothered my children was when i was changing their nappy and wiping it. Once the cream went on and the nappy back on it never seemed to cause any pain.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

DS had nappy rash for a day or son at the same time as he had chicken pox, we left his nappy off as much as possiblre and I put sudocrem on and that was it over and done with.

Mum drilled it into to let the nappy off for a bit each nappy change which i did and other the above he never had nappy change

(I better add others may have done the same and their baby still had nappy rash so not saying it was just that - it just worked for us in doing so)

#7 Pocket...

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

It might be that your cousins dd had something else going on as well, such as thrush in the nappy rash. If your dd's skin isn't broken or raw then it's likely not to be so sore.

Have you tried different brands of nappy? I needed to use a certain brand over night as it kept dd's skin drier over the longer time between changes. Other brands were fine during the day when changes were more frequent.

I understand your concern with the pain tolerance. My ds is the same. He can get severe ear infections before he starts complaining and as such I worried with my dd. Once she became verbal and she could and would tell me something was wrong I was so relieved. Ds would be unsettled, even though he wasn't really able to identify the issue or be fussing with wherever the discomfort was, so if your dd is fairly settled then if say the rash is probably genuinely not an issue to her.

Edited by Pocket..., 11 October 2019 - 01:00 PM.

#8 Minnie80

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

View PostPocket..., on 11 October 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

It might be that your cousins dd had something else going on as well, such as thrush in the nappy rash. If your dd's skin isn't broken or raw then it's likely not to be so sore.

Have you tried different brands of nappy? I needed to use a certain brand over night as it kept dd's skin drier over the longer time between changes. Other brands were fine during the day when changes were more frequent.

I understand your concern with the pain tolerance. My ds is the same. He can get severe ear infections before he starts complaining and as such I worried with my dd. Once she became verbal and she could and would tell me something was wrong I was so relieved. Ds would be unsettled, even though he wasn't really able to identify the issue or be fussing with wherever the discomfort was, so if your dd is fairly settled then if say the rash is probably genuinely not an issue to her.

The problem is, we're apartment hunting, so I had to leave my baby with someone to babysit. This person is lovely, and my daughter adores her, but I noticed that she would consistently forget to change the nappy. She would feed my child, play with her, put her to sleep but for some reason the nappy wasn't changed until I came home. By the end of the week she had developed a nappy rash from hell. It's very red and raised. Although the ointments prescribed seem to make it better thankfully.

#9 Minnie80

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:18 AM

View PostCaribou, on 11 October 2019 - 06:05 AM, said:

Unless the area is raised then no it wouldn’t be painful for some.
Give the baby nappy free time. Put on some barrier cream until the rash clears when using a nappy.

Nappy rashes are normal. Don’t fret.

Also please stop comparing. I know you’re worried about the baby having ASD like your son, but you’re missing out on e joying your baby with all this fretting. Take one day at a time.

I hope you’re still seeing your therapist, do let them know how you’re feeling if you haven’t yet.

I hope you're still seeing your therapist too Caribou;)

Edited by Minnie80, 12 October 2019 - 12:19 AM.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:45 AM

View PostMinnie80, on 11 October 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

The problem is, we're apartment hunting, so I had to leave my baby with someone to babysit. This person is lovely, and my daughter adores her, but I noticed that she would consistently forget to change the nappy. She would feed my child, play with her, put her to sleep but for some reason the nappy wasn't changed until I came home. By the end of the week she had developed a nappy rash from hell. It's very red and raised. Although the ointments prescribed seem to make it better thankfully.

How long since they've been looking after babies?  Have they ever?  I must admit now that it's a few decades ago, I'd really not have a clue how often a baby that age gets changed, especially given we used flat cloth nappies, and disposables are another world.

Do you think they would oblige if you gave them the exact times to change the nappy, making clear that it gets changed regardless of whether they think it does?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.