Spring clean / get organised?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The Little Engine

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:20 AM

I have have had a very difficult few months and am so far behind with every thing. I am sure that is adding to my stress as everywhere I look is mess!
I need to take the kids shopping for school uniforms shortly then will be back to try and formulate a plan of 'attack'. Broad plan is to have mowed both lawns and caught up with all the washing by the end of the weekend.

Anyone else going to join me? I need to stop sitting down for '10 mins' when I'm tired and just push through to do another 5 min job first.

#2 notsoretro

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

Pay someone to mow the lawns, then that's done and you're not further exhausted.Could you pay one of your boys to do it? Baby steps is the key, one task, one drawer sorted, one thing ticked off the to do list.

I spend most Friday nights at my Mum's house. She died in January and there's so much to sort. Last night, I pretty much sat on her bed and looked at magazines (she got NI and Woman's Day), pulled out some recipes and read the trashy gossip. I'm exhausted and it was all I could manage. This morning I put the magazines in the recycling and loaded up some boxes of stuff to donate. Getting stuff out of the house makes me see progess.  So, even if I didn't do much last night, the house has less stuff in it now

#3 The Little Engine

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

So far I have managed to do 4 loads of washing- most will dry today - i will start the next loads shortly and hang up.

I have wipper snipped the back yard

Sprayed all the weeds along the side and along the back fence

Got rid of most of the wild passionfruit from the lemon tree

Chopped back the lemon tree as much as I can for now- OUCH!!!!

A heap of other pruning in one section of the yard.

Now I need to find someone who can take some.green waste to the tip.as I filled the green bin in 5 mins and I have a huge pile of waste...

#4 raspberry sherbert

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Sounds like you did heaps. We are starting to get our yard back in order, it is pretty overgrown and it takes ages.

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

Well done TLE. That’s a lot!
Maybe a neighbor has some space in their green bin? Is there’s anyone you’re friendly enough with to ask?

I did a rush of housework last night after work which did reduce the Saturday morning blues. Today I managed to clear out the plastics cupboard and throw out everything that has no lid or the stray lids with no container.

I need to sort out the kids clothes - culling the ones that no longer fit. I hate that job. A goal for tomorrow.

#6 blackcat20

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

I managed to get a bit done today; washing, planted seedlings, sprayed my roses, feed the fruit trees. Cleaned all the windows/sliding door along the back of the house. Just need to touch up some paint around the house where a couple of spots have been sanded. And wrangled an overtired baby who insisted on 30 minute naps today.

#7 little lion

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

SplashingRainbows, that plastics draw tidy out seems to be required every few months here. I feel like I only did it recently and again it is jam packed and lids a plenty...

I was hoping to fix the inspiration to tidy the butlers pantry this weekend.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostThe Little Engine, on 12 October 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

So far I have managed to do 4 loads of washing- most will dry today - i will start the next loads shortly and hang up.

I’ve ordered a new washing machine! Ours keeps stopping at the rinse cycle and it’s annoying to keep going back and finding it unfinished. 12 years old, so we’ve had our moneys worth!

#9 SplashingRainbows

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

View Postlittle lion, on 12 October 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

SplashingRainbows, that plastics draw tidy out seems to be required every few months here. I feel like I only did it recently and again it is jam packed and lids a plenty...

I was hoping to fix the inspiration to tidy the butlers pantry this weekend.

I wish I had the courage to tackle it every few months. I hate throwing things out. Seems so terrible for the environment. And I get cranky that I don’t buy all the junk I have to throw out and manage but I’m still the one that ends up dealing with it. Argh!!!

#10 casime

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

I spent the afternoon sorting out classroom items into storage boxes.  I then started working on the Christmas items into their own storage tubs.  I'm now working on my study and trying to cull items that I don't need.  It might seem like a minor job, but I just went through every pen on and in my desk and threw out those that don't work.  It's a start!

#11 petal71

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

I have the house on the market and will be moving in 5-6 weeks, so the place needs to be kept pristine for opens but the garage is like a bombsite. Need to sort that and declutter big time before I move.
On the plus side Im now into a regular cleaning routine and the inside has never looked better.

Decluttering is the pits though - I hate contributing to landfill so it's multiple trips to Vinnies, try to sell things, give away to friends, FB BSS groups. Takes way too long....

#12 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

Poor health stops me being as productive as I used to be, so I hear you, it's a mission.

Today I fed my roses, I don't have many, but I was exhausted after.

Sorted school uniforms to sell.

Did some washing.

Went to Aldi.

Had a nap.

Cooked dinner.

Tonight, stripped one DD's bed, remade with clean sheets and put dirty ones on to wash, Towels on next. Kitchen has been cleaned. Happy with what I managed today.

#13 spr_maiden

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

OP, you did a lot!!!

Yesterday after morning things, I made us all follow through on day 1  of the scheduled garage/shed clean out.  We got through 2/3 of it so should be able to finish it off later.  Have to take kids to get camp/school gear which we forgot about it.

I feel blergh though, and DH is pretty tired - so we'll see how much we really end up doing...

#14 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

I did more in the garden today, no mean feat, I hate gardening.

fed the fruit trees and weeded the drive.
Listed items to sell.

#15 The Little Engine

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

I have done lots in the garden in last few days and my 14yo helped a fair but too.

Now to try and do one extra 5-10 min job inside each night so I don't feel so overwhelmed by the weekend. Very busy during the week however.

#16 petal71

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

Over the weekend, I started ripping up the hugest cardboard box that a bed was delivered in. Such a crappy job but only way to fit it in the recycling. Tried scissors, ripping it up is easier.

Decluttered car also, another job I despise!

#17 The Little Engine

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

I got some battery operated tools from Aldi this morning. I have only tried for a few mins as it's freezing and very windy but they seem fantastic!

I haven't achieved much during the week but hopefully I can do better next week

Edited by The Little Engine, 19 October 2019 - 03:50 PM.

#18 casime

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:35 PM

I've managed to get my bedroom and walk in robe completely sorted today.  There is now nothing in there that doesn't need to be in there.  I also cleaned everything, done all of my ironing, and put the mattress out for airing, washed the doona, and have made the bed back up again.

I have also cleaned out the cupboard in the ensuite and sorted out all the various products.  I've set up two drawer units under the cabinet to hold all of the first aid items, and have used my Cricut to make labels on the front of the drawers.

Then I moved on to my study and have managed to get rid of all of the piles of stuff (sorted them, not just moved on to other locations).   I was able to take down a folding worktable that I was using for holding items and pack it away.  The cupboards in my cabinets are now empty, because I was able to sort out all the items that I had shoved in there (and realised how few of those items I actually needed).  

I'm feeling pretty chuffed with what I have managed to get done today.   It's a struggle most days to get out of bed, so being able to get two rooms done in one day is a massive achievement for me.

#19 spr_maiden

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Wow casime, you got so much done!! Nice one!

#20 Bereckii

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

Here's an ABC podcast if anyone is after some inspiration.

"INTRODUCING - S3 00 | The Pineapple Project — Tidy" episode from "The Pineapple Project" , presented by Claire Hooper - https://abclisten.page.link/oV3z. Available now through the ABC listen App - http://bit.ly/ABCradioApp

#21 The Little Engine

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

I'm home today with a sick child (diabetes complications) - so I have vac and mopped the floors and cleaned a couple of windows that well and truly needed it!

Am going to try and sort out the shelving area of the kitchen (at end of bench and tends to be a dumping zone) and sort out the plastics cupboard later.

#22 The Little Engine

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

Have been slowly working through several jobs and areas of the house. Tackling DS 12s room atm while he is at his Dad's. I have fixed his cupboard and re-hung the doors. Now to continue and get it finished for when he comes back this afternoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.