Business cards - working from home

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've been dragging my feet on getting a business card printed. Now that I've finally got a logo design I can use, I'm into the specifics of what to put on the card.

As per title - I work from home. My office is not 'open to the public' as such - I will see clients at my house if necessary (but I'd rather not). I do have a PO Box for mail.

Would you put your home address on the business card?

What do people have on their cards these days? I suppose I have the following which could appear:

Name
Qualifications
Job title (have to think about this one ... Principal?)
Business Name
Home/Street Address
PO Box address
Mobile Number
Email - direct or general
Website address

WDYT?

#2 Mose

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Do you really need a business card?

I work for a large international professional services firm, and many of the partners no longer use business cards. They just aren't necessary for most people anymore, not the way they were ten or twenty years ago, before LinkedIn etc.

Edited by Mose, 12 October 2019 - 02:15 PM.

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

I wouldn’t put your home address on the card, your PO box should be fine.  I probably wouldn’t bother with a job title but the rest of the info you have listed would be good.

#4 BornToLove

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

I wouldn’t include your home address unless you regularly have clients/meetings in your home.

For your title, I would use your generic field like ‘accountant’ ‘graphic designer’ or ‘psychologist’ over something like ‘principal’ or even owner. This is what a see most often on business cards.

I would use the following:
Your name, Qualifications
Field/area of expertise

Business Name
PO Box address
Mobile Number
Direct email
Website address

#5 Threelittleducks

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

I would leave off street address. This gives option of using serviced meeting rooms if you want to in the future.

Use the email address you want to receive email at.

Good Luck

#6 Newbutoldish

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

I’d get a PO Box. They don’t cost very much and you can claim it as a business expense.

#7 Mands09

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

Unless you need people to mail you things I wouldn’t put PO Box on the card or any address. Only your mobile and email address. That’s how it is done in our industry anyway and a lot of us run our businesses from home and work on different project sites.

#8 Luci

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

DH works from home. His business card has his name, the company name, mobile number, email address and website.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

My business office was at home, and I didn't want people at the warehouse if I wasn't there, so neither address was on our information.

When I mistakenly did, in the early days, I had people turn up at the front door, with the house a train wreck, so I soon learnt from that mistake.

#10 Chocolate Addict

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

My cards have logo, name, title (owner, head machinist, boss, etc.. bit of humour), email, phone and facebook link.
I don't have my address on it nor on my facebook page. I don't have a website.

Unless clients will be sending you stuff there is no need to give an address.

You could also put ABN if you wanted. I don't have it on my cards, just on my invoices.

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

BIL worked from home until a month ago & for contact details, he has phone number, email address & po box.

#12 FindingZen

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

I would put:
Name
Professional Qualification (if relevant) | Director
Mobile
Email
Website

I have been given two recently (after none for a couple of years). One has the above + social media logos as relevant at the bottom of the card. One has added on the back the main services they provide.

They are being used less and less, with many using the signature block of their email to provide all requisite information but if you're stapling it (or putting it inside) an information pack or paper based quote it can still be useful.

#13 qak

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:18 PM

Thanks!

It will be used (hopefully) more as a referral tool, as I'm finding people want to pass on my details to others - I'd like to make that as easy as possible!

#14 Grrrumbles

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

I would put your suburb or town only if it was relevant eg I would like to know if a plumber or electrician that I might call out at short notice is local to me but not as relevant for other services. If the nature of you business is that you don’t service a specific geographical area then I would leave it off.
I do find some business websites that don’t say where the business is located to be unnerving. Some are so generic that you have no idea whether they are a one person operation or nationwide business. So I like to see something along the lines of ‘Sally and Robert are based in Geelong and service the metropolitan area and surrounding towns.’

But I wouldn’t expect to see that on a business card unless if was really relevant.

#15 JomoMum

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

I think it depends on your industry as to how much you need to put on there. Are there registration/license numbers etc.
I have
Locations we cover
Business name and ABN
Name
Mobile number
Facebook
Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.