Total Control

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

Anyone watch this last night?

I thought it was very good. Rachael Griffiths PM seems to be modelled on Julie Bishop, but I did like Deborah Mailman

The quandary to either survive in politics and be effective or to be authentic.

#2 Nozycat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

Will definitely be watching, love both actresses and looks interesting.

#3 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

What I liked was the depth the two women had beyond just being their gender, and in Mailman’s case, race.

I also like how we saw the PM as this ice cold ball breaker, and then saw her with her dad who clearly has dementia

#4 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

DH and I both enjoyed the first episode. We will be watching further. Great characters already.

#5 daisy007

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

I watched it and enjoyed it. Love Deborah Mailman, I swear she just doesn’t age at all!

#6 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

I had to tell myself that they weren't just reusing the sets of The Hollowmen

Well, they were, but they actually do film in Parliament House I'm sure when it doesn't sit in the summer.

#7 dadwasathome

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 14 October 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Well, they were, but they actually do film in Parliament House I'm sure when it doesn't sit in the summer.

The maiden speech scene was in Old Parly House.

They got the advisor all wrong - well, his shoes, which should have been brown rather than black with his navy suit. Personality was just right.....

#8 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

I thought it was in old parliament house. Made sense they weren't allowed in the chamber itself

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Wrong post

Edited by IamOzgirl, 18 November 2019 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

Ah, wrong thread

#11 71Cath

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

I loved it.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

I missed the first few minutes. I'll have to go and catch up on it online.

I enjoyed it. I've been watching Deborah Mailman since Secret Life of Us. It was strange to see her in a serious role.

#13 ipsee

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

I thought it was great.

#14 sophiasmum

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

Watched it & Deb Mailman is amaaazing...

#15 Murderino

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

I loved ep 1 and like all of you love Deb Mailman.

I also love the actor who plays her brother. He was great in Cleverman and another show I can’t think of just now.

#16 surprisebaby

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

I loved it but I thought the incident in the hotel was out of character to the one she portrayed. She seemed too "in control" to take a risk like that. As in the publicity if filmed etc. Unless thats what happens going forward......

#17 surprisebaby

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:07 PM

Rob Collins who plays the brother was in Glitch. I like him too. Also hes very easy on the eye. :)

#18 Murderino

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Glitch, yes loved him in that too. I also couldn’t remember his name!

#19 Nozycat

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

View Postsurprisebaby, on 16 October 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

I loved it but I thought the incident in the hotel was out of character to the one she portrayed. She seemed too "in control" to take a risk like that. As in the publicity if filmed etc. Unless thats what happens going forward......

Finally got to watch the first ep and really liked it.  Good characters and storyline so far.  But I agree about the incident in the hotel, especially after the talk she had just been given, way too risky and open to having photos splashed all over the papers. Otherwise I love her and the dilemma.  And love both actresses.

#20 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

Finale tonight. The clip I saw on Facebook gave me goosebumps.

#21 Lunafreya

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

What an ending!  That was just amazing!

#22 Riotproof

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

Has to be as season 2. How fantastic.

#23 Nozycat

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

I started off liking it but came to dislike the show and Alex more and more.  Was she suppsoed to be likable and a hero?  For me she started losing me with the sex in the stairwell but I could have lived with that.  We all do dumb things.  Then came the cheating.  Ok she is human.  But then what blew it all out of the water for me completely was encouragning the fire bombing, that is so beyond ok for me and she lost me completely.  Plus she was so rude to her staff and continually blaming other people and self-righteous when she had responsibility herself.  And the first thing she does after continually leaving her son and him then being exposed to a traumatic event is give him a quick hug and immediatley ask him to access the phone instead of caring for him.  She became deeply unlikable to me and like she saw herself as a hero.

And what was with Rachel's nude scene?  Completely gratuitous imo.

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostNozycat, on 18 November 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

I started off liking it but came to dislike the show and Alex more and more.  Was she suppsoed to be likable and a hero?  For me she started losing me with the sex in the stairwell but I could have lived with that.  We all do dumb things.  Then came the cheating.  Ok she is human.  But then what blew it all out of the water for me completely was encouragning the fire bombing, that is so beyond ok for me and she lost me completely.  Plus she was so rude to her staff and continually blaming other people and self-righteous when she had responsibility herself.  And the first thing she does after continually leaving her son and him then being exposed to a traumatic event is give him a quick hug and immediatley ask him to access the phone instead of caring for him.  She became deeply unlikable to me and like she saw herself as a hero.
I think she was meant to be a flawed person. You weren't supposed to like her as a bestie, but I think you were supposed to identify with her motivations and have some compassion/understanding for how she approached events in her life, based on past history. It seemed to me that she was always going to be the easy sacrifice in the PM's long-term game. It just took her a while to realise what was going on and who she could trust (if anyone).

No politician (or person) is without failings, why would you expect that Alex was supposed to be different?

View PostNozycat, on 18 November 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

And what was with Rachel's nude scene?  Completely gratuitous imo.
Yeah, I didn't get that either. I seriously doubt they would have shot the same scenes with a male PM - penis hanging out, scratching his balls as he figured out which jocks to put on.... never would have happened.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 18 November 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#25 Nozycat

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:38 PM

I am happy to see flawed people, never expected her to be perfect, makes it more interesting, but the fire bombing is way beyond flawed for me.

Yes agree with your last comment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.