What is on your list - Spin Off (fluffy)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chiars

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

The 'How do you manage getting stuff done' thread had me thinking about my list and what is on other people's list.

We have a shared phone calendar, a wall calendar, pin up board with bills and upcoming events plus an ongoing and never ending list on the kitchen bench.

The kitchen bench list is the list both myself, DH and DD add to and cross off depending on who is home, who can do it and who 'wants' to do it. This is the 'easy' higher priority list that doesn't include the regular never ending cleaning jobs.

So, what is on your list?

Ours currently:

oil outdoor furniture (we did half on the weekend)
clean and stain decking
library (need to return and pick up books)
tailor (DH needs a suit altered)
buy book as a gift for a new born baby
buy present for DD friend's birthday party
register for nippers
clean oven and range hood
weeding
wash dog
filing (go through and shred, file the pile of bills, notices, junk)
renew car insurance
car service
cricket training (new sport so need to get it embedded in the head :rolleyes: )
buy tickets (band)

Edited by chiars, 14 October 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#2 BornToLove

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

Just one thing - ‘survive’

In all seriousness, I’m transitioning back to full time work, so the next month or so, it’s all about doing the basics to keep our home life going until we find out groove. I figure by December, my list will still include ‘survive’ but mainly getting through the end of year/Christmas madness :p

#3 MandaMama

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

I love lists, but what with uni and work to juggle plus 3 kids and a household, I don't write many actual "lists" these days. Everything is in my hand-written diary for each week. All bills are on a clip on the fridge in order of due date.

Like OP, we need to do things like oil outdoor furniture, clean/stain the deck, weeding (our garden is massive as we are on acreage and has been very neglected as we just don't have the time at the moment, so this is ongoing!) and clean the gross oven and rangehood (thinking I might outsource that one).

On my list that I wrote mid-year (when on break from uni), things yet to be ticked off are:

Organise flooring for upstairs (we are replacing carpets with floorboards as carpets were water damaged during a storm a year ago - we got the insurance payout but are yet to sort this out!)

Buy/plant trees along back fence

Lodge application for DS for another high school

Nail clip for the dog

New contact lenses for me

Arrange holiday for July 2020 (after I graduate)

#4 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

In my calendar literally everything that I do regularly!!!

Descale the coffee machine and kettle
clean oven
virus scan computer and change wifi password
wash vaccum cleaner filter
run cleaning cycle on washing machine
Check car tyre pressure, oil and fluids
check smoke alarms
change toothbrush heads
Check bank statements (for fraudulent activity)
wash the curtains (yearly)
haircuts every 3 months or so
eye test for everyone (every 2 years)….   and so on

If its in there I don't have to think about it I just do it!

My immediate to do list is everything to do with kids sport, school, and the baby's checkups and vaccinations.  And house and garden DIY tasks. Tidy the pantry, clean out the bathroom cupboard. Start organising Christmas presents. And a few things we need to buy like a bookcase.  Buy DS some baby bathers for summer.

#5 BadCat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

I don't have a written list but if I did it would look like this:

Figure out where Zeus is escaping from and fix it
Hang shelves
Fix flyscreens
Buy and hang new curtains
Get rid of "grass" and plant clover
Trim garden
Pick up rubbish in garden
Tear down garden shed
Sell cat enclosure
Clean fish tank so I can set it up again
Pull out the lounge to pick up the rubbish behind it
Wash car and clean interior
Cut more lyrics for my wall
Wash my sheets
Write several job applications
Get rid of junk
Buy solar lights for garden and install
Fix stair lighting

I might even do most of it eventually.

I did clear an item off my list last week.  Made a will.  Go me.

#6 Mollycoddle

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

I have my regular housekeeping stuff that I do all the time but around this time of year I do a specific list for spring cleaning that needs to be done around the house and yard.  It's looking pretty good so far, not much left on it.  I've done all the yard stuff (clipping, poisoning, cleaning out one of the two sheds, planting flowers, mending fence palings etc).  Inside the house is also mainly done (cleaning blinds/windows, wiping front and inside kitchen cupboards, cull from linen press etc). I just need to wash and store all the blankets and doonas and cull/swap over the kids' clothes from winter to summer, waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more for these jobs.  

I am working on integrating some of these yearly tasks into stuff I just do as a matter of course eg. vacuuming behind couches and in cushions used to be a quarterly thing but now I try to do it fortnightly.  In terms of the yard, I have been in my house for almost 10 years with minor yard maintenance being undertaken, about 3 years ago I did a major cleanup and cutback of foliage, weeding and poisoning so I have found that every year since then it has been easier when spring comes and it's time to get things in order.   Now I can spend minimal amount of time on just maintaining and more time faffing around planting pretty flowers in pots!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 14 October 2019 - 11:06 AM.

#7 **Xena**

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:49 PM

For the last year and a half it's been to do with building the granny flat for the kids. The list is almost finished and I'm so happy. Now it's just:

Install shelves in the wardrobes
Install shower panel and glass
Install internal doors and hardware
Furnish

So close :D

Edited by **Xena**, 14 October 2019 - 01:49 PM.

#8 Hands Up

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

Our shared list looks like this at the moment:
- sell car seats
- clean car inside and out
- buy outdoor furniture
- investigate hiring a cleaner
- clean the oven
- all usual weekly tasks

Not too bad. A few weeks ago it had another dozen or so items but we’ve accomplished quite a lot recently!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.