fluff - what is in your freezer?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Quick hedgehog

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

We own an upright freezer, a pair to the fridge.  It is always full.  I had a visitor the other week who was surprised I had need for such a big freezer.  We are also in the market for a new house at the moment so are viewing quite a few open homes and I have noticed that very few have room in the kitchen for a freezer, or even have a freezer located elsewhere in the house.

This has led me to wonder if owning a large freezer is unusual and how people manage without one.  Admittedly the reason we had a separate freezer initially was because our rural location meant I was too far from a supermarket to do a big shop more than once a month or so, so I tended to stock up on things.  

But even now with a supermarket practically on my doorstep, my freezer is always full.

My freezer has 7 compartments and drawers and seems to contain from the top down:

packets of nuts/seeds/almond meal etc so they don't go rancid
assorted bits of frozen cakes/snacks that didn't all get eaten. Likewise things like stewed fruits ready for crumbles etc, serves of rice pudding for after school snacks, homemade muffins/slices etc for lunch boxes,  homemade museli bars that one kid takes for breakfast.

loaves of bread - plain and raisin
bread rolls and other breadish items (eg. vegemite scrolls) from bakery defrosted daily for lunch boxes.

bags of grated cheese - mozzarella for pizza and parmesan, bags of frozen berries
packets of puff and shortcrust pastry sheets
some leftover fresh lasagne sheets
ice cubes, lemon juice frozen in cubes, herbs frozen in cubes

several bags of those fresh filled pastas that I buy when 1/2 price and keep stored for when I need a fast option for dinner
Ice cream - perhaps more than is normal or advisable

several large bags of different types of frozen veg, probably also some chips

pre-cooked meals separated into serving sizes, eg. bolognese sauce, meatloaf, cooked up tomatoes
meat - chicken pieces, mince

dog bones, mice for the snake and a couple of ice bricks

Is it weird to have so much in the freezer and what is in yours?

Edited by Quick hedgehog, 14 October 2019 - 12:02 PM.

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Don't have one currently as don't have fridge.  What I do have is an esky with ice in it.

#3 rubyskye

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

Family of 4 here. We have:
Containers of home made chicken noodle soup, home made bolognaise and home made cauliflower tots/nuggets
Icepacks
Frozen herbs, chilli, ginger
Froxen smoothie stuff (a whole drawer devoted to it) - kale, spinach, rocket, beetroot, berries, dragonfruit, pineapple, bananas, passionfruit
Beef mince
Yorkshire puddings
Bread rolls
Loaves of bread
Peas and corn

Pretty bare at the moment!

Edited by rubyskye, 14 October 2019 - 11:58 AM.

#4 jovana

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Not much... we only have one fridge with the freezer at the bottom.
Few ice cream tubs, frozen veg (3-4 different kinds), frozen chips, some half full crumbed fish/schnitzel packets. Ice blocks.
Cat mince, portioned out. Leftover stock.
Whole chicken, half of pork neck, some bones for soup.

Forgot to add, we are family of 5.

Edited by jovana, 14 October 2019 - 11:51 AM.

#5 klr75

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

last week i just had a big clean out of the pantry and freezer, so at least i now know what i have!!!

But I love the freezer and really missed our deep freeze which blew up a couple of years ago!

My freezer is similar to yours, without the bakes good (I don't bake!!!) I usually buy meat when on special, freeze left overs, for those can't be F'd nights

#6 Clementinerose

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

Meat, so much meat, a little bread on top and I strongly suspect that i will find some other goodies under all the meat that was dumped on top.

#7 ~J_F~

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

In the chest freezer I have no idea... it’s is the place food goes to die! Dumbest thing we own! Should probably clean it out and get rid of it I guess!!

The small freezer below the fridge has flour, frozen chips, corn, peas, icecreams, chicken nuggets, meat (that had probably been in the fridge to long for me to be ok with eating), frozen berries, zooper doopers (or something kind of icy pole) and ice.

I will be honest I dislike frozen bread and am not a fan of defrosted meat, so a freezer isn’t really something we get a lot of use out of.

We manage because I shop most days or I only shop for two or three days at a time. I prefer to do it that way, my budget works better.

ETA I keep thinking of other little things we have.

Edited by ~J_F~, 14 October 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#8 GreenEgg

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:32 PM

We have a small upright freezer our shelves are
1. Single serve left overs and frozen berries
2. Zooper Doopers (No judgement please!)
3. Frozen veg / chips
4 meat/ spaghetti bowl / taco meat etc
5. Frozen dinners, pastry

#9 LightPink

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

We have a separate freezer, it lives in the garage. I couldn’t be without it! We are a family of 4 (2 small kids).

In it we keep spare bread loaves, frozen veg, chicken nuggets and similar things, freezer blocks, bulk baked muffins and baked stuff for snacks, pre cooked and portioned meals that I bulk cook, so so handy for busy nights and cbf cooking nights.

#10 Babetty

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

I wish we had space for a separate freezer. But I'm excellent at packing the 2 drawers and shelf that we do have!

On the shelf:
Shortcrust and puff pastry, tortillas and wraps. Shallow container with whole bananas waiating to be turned into banana bread, individually wrapped leftover cooked sausages (quick snack in bread) mini ice packs for bumps. Ice cube tray

1st drawer:
2 loaves of bread (white and sourdough) zip lock bag of assorted baked stuff, some takeaway boxes of frozen leftovers 2 boxes of ice creams

2nd drawer
Frozen peas, corn, chips
Frozen Pyrex dish of "bigger" leftovers, eg lasagna
Frozen berries
Tupperware of fresh breadcrumbs
Bag of crusts waiting to be made into breadcrumbs.
More leftovers in takeaway boxes
Box of fish fingers
Small portioned out meat.

I don't keep much raw meat in my freezer, as I shop on Saturdays and tend to do my meal planning so I'm using the meat earlier in the week.

#11 Mrs Zee

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

The one above the fridge has frozen veg, diced onion, chopped herbs, shallots and garlic, frozen breastmilk (two years old, not entirely sure why I've kept that, just feels wrong to throw it out) pastry, chicken breast burgers, roti, ice, ice cream, ice bricks for lunch boxes. Soft Ice packs for injuries and teething rings.

I have an upright one in the garage that I would hate to have to do without. It has meals for busy days (atm that includes butter chicken, massaman beef, stroganoff, pasta bake) I just defrost in fridge the night before if I know we'll have a busy day or clingy toddler.

There's also, wedges, chips, bread, crumpets, English muffins, pikelets, home made biscuits, brownies, meat pies and then meat (mince, chicken breast & thigh and steak atm)

I always know what's in them so I know what a rough meal plan for the week looks like.

Edited by Mrs Zee, 14 October 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#12 Quick hedgehog

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostGreenEgg, on 14 October 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

We have a small upright freezer our shelves are
1. Single serve left overs and frozen berries
2. Zooper Doopers (No judgement please!)
3. Frozen veg / chips
4 meat/ spaghetti bowl / taco meat etc
5. Frozen dinners, pastry

Haha, I saw the Zooper dooper
s on special last week and I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure there was space in the freezer. Those are another of the things I refuse to pay full price for. Mind you, here is Melbourne I guess I could just have stored them in the cupboard ' cause summer isn't going to be here anytime soon!

#13 Tinsilitis

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

I just finished stuffing my shopping into my tiny second freezer. We need a new larger one. I inherited this one from a family member about 20 years ago after they had used it for 10-15 years themselves.

I usually have bread, pastry, breadrolls, juice boxes, ice packs, frozen pasta sauce, boxes of fish, chicken, sausage rolls, spring rolls, various vegetarian burgers, ice cream, icy poles, frozen chips and hashbrowns, frozen peas and corn, ice cube trays, and other assortments of goods.

We probably have 1 or 2 "Freezer meals" a week.

Edited by Tinsilitis, 14 October 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#14 cardamom

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

I love, love, looove my freezer. It's just DP and I but it's a lifesaver - I have health issues that mean cooking when I get home from work doesn't often happen, so I batch cook on the weekends and freeze in single serves so I always have meals available.

We just bought our first place and like you said OP, finding one that could accommodate a freezer was surprisingly tricky! At our previous place it fit in the kitchen (long galley-style) - in our new place it lives in the shed, which is already annoying me no end not having it in arm's reach.

Ours is a chest freezer so doesn't have shelves for organising. Instead I use large bags (the 15c grocery ones) to group foods together - makes it easy to lift out the relevant bag. The rest is just stacked in containers.

I have:

Bread bag: grain and raisin bread, challah, crumpets, croissants, English muffins, pita, balls of homemade pizza dough

Veg bag: frozen beans, corn, peas, edamame, spinach, assorted berries, lemon juice cubes, a 'soup bag' (leftover veg odds and ends that I collect and use for stock)

Convenience food bag: chicken schnitzels, ravioli, felafel, homemade quiches, sausage rolls, vegie medallions, dumplings, chips

Meals: bolognese, soup, lasagne, quesadilla filling, cannelloni, miscellaneous bakes for potlucks, pasta sauce, homemade frozen pizzas, spinach and ricotta pastries, stews

Misc: meat, leftover eggwhites, spare Nuttelex, ice cream, icy poles, ice cubes, chicken stock, baking bits and bobs (eg. muffins, biscuit dough, pikelets), fresh breadcrumbs, grated cheese, yeast, béchamel sauce, half-glasses of red wine stored in a container for when I need a dash for cooking.

I'm sure there's more but that's what comes to mind. I just defrosted and reorganised the freezer yesterday so its contents are top-of-mind, heh! I would really struggle without my freezer.

#15 No Drama Please

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Tiny top of fridge freezer; blueberries, raspberries, peas, spinach, pastry sheets, sliced bread, German pretzels, croissants, chocolate covered ice creams and five ice packs.

And gin!

Edited by 28 Barbary Lane, 14 October 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#16 Mose

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Rather more frozen raspberries and less grated cheese than I first anticipated.

Probably not inspired to keep exploring after this fail...

#17 cstar

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

We don't have a seperate freezer.  Our fridge is a four door and I only have 1 section of it as a freezer.

I have some meat
ice cream
grate cheese that was going to go off
frozen veg
loaves of bread
chilli rolls that my son takes to school most days
some frozen tiropites that I make for easy meals
some frozen chicken snitzels that I make for easy meals
some leftover bolognese as I always make more than I need and then I pool all the little containers together and get a nights meal of that.

That's all I can think of at the moment, considering I only have 3 draws, I can fit quite abit.

Edited by cstar, 14 October 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#18 marple

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

Too much and no idea what tbh

#19 MrsCee

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

We have the same OP, a pigeon pair and do currently live rurally.

Mine has almost the exact same as yours, except the mice for the snake - eek!

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

We have two fridges and the freezers of both are always full.

We have
Ice cream
Ice creams and zooper doopers
Frozen veg
Frozen chips
Frozen meat
Grated cheese
A bit of frozen left overs like bolognese sauce
Apple pie/sausage rolls etc
Pastry
Bread
Dog bones
Ice packs
Ice cubes

I’d love a big, dedicated, freezer rather than the two little ones we have. They always seem to be overflowing.

#21 Mollycoddle

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

A bit of meat, packets of frozen veg and chips etc, ice cream and the odd convenience food eg. frozen pizza.  I don't bake or freeze meals for later and I abhor bread that's been frozen unless it's for toasting.  Or pretty much any baked goods frozen and thawed.  Yuck, it has to be fresh!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 14 October 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#22 JK4

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Freezer draw below our fridge, currently quite empty as I have been using everything up & have not shopped for 2 weeks.
Assortment lunchbox snacks - lammingtons, cupcakes, brownies, gingerbread men
Individually wrapped rolls ready to make lunches with
Bread (plain & fruit) for toast
Chocolate cake
Ice cream
1 family lasagna
1 family size bolognaise
Pizza base sauce
Peas
Ice packs

#23 Hands Up

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

Ice and ice packs
Assorted leftovers - pasta sauce etc.
A few Jamie Oliver prepped meats for lazy nights
Meat I’ve bought on special and frozen (mince mainly)
Frozen peas and spinach
Vodka

#24 Ayr

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

I don't have a large freezer I just have three fridges with freezers. I keep alot in them like:

Flour
Open pasta
Noodles
Meat
Pastry
Mice/rats for animal food
Raw food in individual serves for the dogs
Bread for toasting
Nuggets
Chips/hash browns/potato gems
Ice
Frozen blocks for lunchboxes
Frozen veg
Frozen fruit for smoothies
Leftovers worth keeping/freezing

That's about it really. A big one would be good but I have enough room between the three we have.

Edited by Ayr, 14 October 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

I have been watching Mindhunter at the weekend, I am having visions of all sorts in peoples freezers.

My own has mainly Ben & Jerrys and some frozen peas/corn and DS's school ice brick thingys

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.