Toys, games & ideas for 8yo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Magratte

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

Hoping to get ideas on Xmas presents for 8yo DD. For various reasons I need to get organised early this year.

DD likes art and craft, and I may get some items for that even though she has already a lot. Apart from that I would like to get something creative and educational. We already have sphero and she likes to play with that. Please hit me with your tips. ๐Ÿ˜Š

#2 marple

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

I'm going with the DS request of a Garmin

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

My 8yo likes strategy type games like checkers, backgammon etc.

#4 Magratte

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 14 October 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

My 8yo likes strategy type games like checkers, backgammon etc.

Thanks, will look into those.

Garmin is also a good idea.

#5 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

This might sound nutty, but you could put together a kit for electrical circuits i.e. a bread board, resisters, wires, light bulbs, LEDs, based on circuit designs/instructions that can be found online.

This is what 8yo-me would want, anyway. :D

Or a shop like Jaycar might have premade kits with instructions. I just had a look, and they have some interesting stuff that involves creativity, but in a more "sciencey" way.

https://www.jaycar.c...tem-electronics

#6 JoanJett

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

Depending on your budget, the Lego Boost Creative Toolbox is pretty cool.  

I'm a Lego tragic - so that would be my go to. The Architecture Series has so many great options, and there's the added bonus of learning about landmark buildings around the world.

Otherwise, board games - Ticket to Ride, Pictionary, Chess, Backgammon, Cluedo,

Or make your own toy kits that involve sewing/beading.  I've seen some that involve electrical thread - sorry can't remember the details!

There are plenty of good sciencey type options like build your own volcano/grow your own crystals/make your own slime etc.

Books - fiction, non-fiction and the option of something like science experiments at home.

An experience - like coding camp or art classes or a nature club.

Disclaimer:  I only have boys, but I was an 8 year old girl once and this would have been my list!

#7 BeAwesome

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

My board game mad nearly 8 year old is enjoying Santorini at the moment https://www.amazon.c...280799686&psc=1

She also likes Bears vs Babies, Kingdomino, Sushi Go, Sleeping Queens.

#8 Bearynice

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:43 PM

In terms of craft stuff I think girls around 8 want things that are a bit more grown up ( not little kids craft iykwim) so stuff like those things you colour and bake, that shrink in the oven.
Or kits to make some beaded bag tags. Those fashion designer sets.

My boys have a board game called Bloxels ( from Kmart)
Itโ€™s all little blocks that you arrange on a board, scan it in, using an app it turns your work into a video game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.