I have a sore boob

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lou-bags

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

Ol’ lefty is sore, reasonably sudden onset becoming more tender through the day. I’ve had to take some ibuprofen.

Plan to get in with a GP tomorrow if it’s still sore. Feels a bit like mastitis (but I’ve not breastfed for almost exactly 1 year now).

Anyone have similar?

Am I kidding myself that it’ll come good on it’s own?

#2 Bereckii

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

I had that over a year after finishing breastfeeding. Almost exactly what you are experiencing word for word - it was even the left side.

There was a little discharge too. Milk? I really didn't know.

I was worried about mastitis too. But I didn't get mastitis.

Mammogram revealed no problems.

It appears that my body was still producing milk and this spiked at a certain point on my cycle. As I wasn't feeding it was painful during those spikes.

It happened a few cycles in a row. It then stopped, but can be very sensitive (sometimes painful) on that side on random cycles (not as bad as those first few times though)

The GP suggested I try taking evening primrose oil to help even things out. Not sure whether that helped or not.

The uncertainty was stressful.

#3 FeralZombieMum

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

Could be a cyst causing the pain. They can appear suddenly. The more you touch and feel, the sorer it can get. They can be tender during your cycle.

#4 Lou-bags

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:42 PM

I’m around about at ovulation so maybe that’s it, FZM.

I’m starting to feel a bit achy though, but that might just be because I’m really tired (didn’t sleep much last night as I started a new job today).

#5 Jenflea

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

I have heard you can get mastitis a year or more after you wean.
Do a heat pack on the area and maybe see if you can get a home Dr out tonight if you get worse.

#6 Lou-bags

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

Bloody DH is at the movies with a friend or I could go to the after hours GP about 15 min drive away. Damn!

#7 lozoodle

Yeah righty gets like that :(

I've been checked and its ok, but I would still check for peace of mind.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

New job? How exciting, congratulations!

Hope the boob is all fine.

#9 Lou-bags

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 14 October 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

New job? How exciting, congratulations!

Hope the boob is all fine.

Thanks! Have sent you a text x

#10 spannerset

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

I got mastitis 3 years after I stopped breastfeeding. It can happen.  Antibiotics cleared it right up.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

Make sure it is investigated thoroughly.

#12 littlepickle

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:23 PM

I have a friend who experienced recurrent mastitis in one breast before she even experienced her first pregnancy or birthed a baby.
My right breast gets swollen and painful for a few weeks at a time and then suddenly gets better. I assume it is hormonal although with my merina I don’t ovulate so who knows.
Just some strange trivia but before I had children if I heard a newborn baby cry I would have a ‘let down’ type reflex. I didn’t know what this sensation was until I breastfed my first baby.
Breasts are such amazing things.,,,

#13 magic_marker

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think the medical term is Non-Lactational Mastitis.
Hope you get it sorted.

#14 MooGuru

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostBereckii, on 14 October 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

I had that over a year after finishing breastfeeding. Almost exactly what you are experiencing word for word - it was even the left side.

There was a little discharge too. Milk? I really didn't know.

I was worried about mastitis too. But I didn't get mastitis.

Mammogram revealed no problems.

It appears that my body was still producing milk and this spiked at a certain point on my cycle. As I wasn't feeding it was painful during those spikes.

It happened a few cycles in a row. It then stopped, but can be very sensitive (sometimes painful) on that side on random cycles (not as bad as those first few times though)

The GP suggested I try taking evening primrose oil to help even things out. Not sure whether that helped or not.

The uncertainty was stressful.

I get that and I'd get like a greeny discharge that would then turn to a milky colour after a few drops. It felt similar to the start of mastitis but eased after that bit of milk came out so think it might have been a bit of a blocked duct. It was about 2 years after finishing breastfeeding that it became less regular and there was enough of a gap before it started that the thought of it being breast milk seemed weird.
I've also got a heap of cysts and benign tumours that could possibly be responsible but no obvious cause for pain on the ultrasounds.

#15 Ellie bean

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

I only breastfed for about 6 weeks with ds and had milk occasionally for at least 2 years after, oh the irony! Hope it turns out to be nothing serious loubags

#16 Lou-bags

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

UPDATE

Boob is fine. Pain killers got me through the night (it was that bad actually) and then this morning it had subsided a lot. Still a little bit painful but had an exam by a new GP and she said it all seems fine, no need to do anything more so long as it continues to improve. Phew.

#17 FeralZombieMum

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

That's great news.

I would keep a record of any future pain and your cycle - as this could happen again. Stress makes my pain so much worse. It's feels just like mastitis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.