*spin off* terms and sayings that you love

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Kallie88

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

Just thought it'd be fun to hear the stuff people love as opposed to the ones that make people cringe (though I suspect there may end up being some cross over lol)

The spag bol comments reminded me that I enjoy "sketti/sgetti" for spaghetti, it makes me laugh and it's fun to say with the kids haha

#2 seayork2002

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Do you want wine?

#3 missminx

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Not so much a saying, but anyone saying they love me, cares about me or checks in to see how I am and genuinely cares about the answer, makes my heart melt every time ♥️

#4 Mrs Claus

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

My grandma used to say to me ‘you’re as handy as a little saucepan’

Never heard anyone else say it but it always made me feel appreciated when she did

#5 ~J_F~

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

Old mate
Calm your farm
Stop ****ing the dog

#6 night jasmine

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

“That’s/ you’re very helpful”. Not necessarily my favourite saying but it’s my son’s favourite compliment to give and receive since he started school. I have about 5 cards from him for mother’s day, birthday, Christmas etc all thanking me for being helpful. Whenever I say it to him he just beams and looks mighty pleased with himself. I love that he responds so well to being considered helpful.

#7 No Drama Please

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

It’s a word not a saying but I love dadulation :lol:

#8 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

I love 'casting nasturtiums' instead of casting aspersions. It gives me such a lovely mental image of just tossing nasturtiums around!

#9 dadwasathome

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

Ant****ing - DP adopted this when working with the police. Unnecessary administrivia delaying an outcome.

#10 Sentient Puddle

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

"It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!"

#11 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

"With all due respect."

Because it means, "You are a steaming great idiot and couldn't be more wrong if you tried," but it's such a nice polite way of saying so.

#12 kimasa

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

Void as a term for a black cat. As a void owner, I love it.

#13 magic_marker

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

I know l'm bad at parking.

Sigh.

It's because l've been lied to about what 8 inches is.

#14 AliasMater

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

FFS - the extended version. I say it often.

#15 Ozquoll

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 15 October 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Stop ****ing the dog
Haven't heard that one before! When would you use this phrase?

Edited by Ozquoll, 15 October 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#16 ~J_F~

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 15 October 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

When would you use this phrase?!

When people are taking their time to do something or get organised...

Stop ****ing the dog and get in the car
Stop ****ing the dog and do your job

And so on...

#17 Dianalynch

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

**** me dead.

#18 JBH

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

All at sixes and sevens

#19 JBH

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Heard in a court room: “with all due respect to my learned friend, your honour, it’s balderdash”.

View PostJane Jetson, on 15 October 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

"With all due respect."

Because it means, "You are a steaming great idiot and couldn't be more wrong if you tried," but it's such a nice polite way of saying so.

Heard in a court room: “with all due respect to my learned friend, your honour, it’s balderdash”.

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 15 October 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

**** me dead.

yeh i like this phrase too.

cluster**** (i know the eb net nanny will get me - the asterisks rhyme with “duck”) - it’s just so expressive of what you’re trying to say..one hot mess. actually I like “hot mess” too.

#21 kimasa

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

I run a reading program with low-literacy teens and get called all manner of names during it, "b**chmuffin" has been my personal favourite.

I like that. I'm a such a b**chmuffin.

#22 Dianalynch

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 15 October 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

yeh i like this phrase too.

cluster**** (i know the eb net nanny will get me - the asterisks rhyme with “duck”) - it’s just so expressive of what you’re trying to say..one hot mess. actually I like “hot mess” too.

I’m also a big fan of cluster**** - so expressive, says it all

#23 AprilEthereal

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

Bits and Bobs as it reminds me of my Nanna.

My pleasure, treasure was my response to my kids when they were small after they thanked me for something.

Edited by AprilEthereal, 15 October 2019 - 07:26 PM.

#24 BadCat

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

Because reasons.  Or Because (pretty much anything that is self explanatory).

eg.  There is nothing on my table because cat.

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:45 PM

View Postkimasa, on 15 October 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

Void as a term for a black cat. As a void owner, I love it.

The void is loud and wants chicken.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.