trundle beds for toddlers - yay or nay

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

The bed I've chosen for DD (her big girl bed) has an option of either draws or a trundle under it.

Lets be honest, she's a crappy sleeper and even at 2 wakes at least once on a good night. Ive persisted with her sleeping in her own bed when really many many times I felt like throwing her in our bed for the night and forever after. The two times I did it resulted in her not wanting her cot so I stopped doing that.

Anyway id like to persist with this sleep in your own room stuff and hope that by 3-4 she's sleeping through most nights but to make it less painful for myself id like to get her a trundle bed.

Im interested in other peoples opinions/experiences with trundle beds..are they worth it or will I regret it :omg:

#2 Mrs Claus

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

If you won’t miss the extra storage I’d go the trundle. I’m sure it would come in handy

#3 Goldenash

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

Is the trundle for you?  People do it. Personally I am not so keen on sleeping in them. I’d go the drawers.

I will also not tell you about my 4 and 5 year old who slept perfectly in their own beds from about 18 months until they were 3 and 4.....

#4 Future-self

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Most traditional trundle beds don;t allow for a proper height mattress which makes them appallingly uncomfortable. If it's a tall bed and therefore can have a proper inner spring mattress for you then its a great idea.

#5 Jenflea

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

I go for storage every time.
Because I don't have any!

Trundle beds are more for friends sleeping over, not adults as far as I know. They all seem to be marketed towards sleepovers, not adults, that I saw when looking for DD's bed a few years ago.

#6 alchetta

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

You can definitely have it all. I haven't bought yet but will be getting a captain's bed with both trundle and drawers when DD outgrows her cot. Smaller drawers but I'll take it for the extra bed.
https://www.myfurnit...-captains-beds/

https://www.livingst...JQaAlVpEALw_wcB

https://www.snooze.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.fantasti...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.mydeal.c...8aAoOiEALw_wcB#

#7 *Andi*

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

DD1 has the Snooze bed above, so with trundle and drawers. Both get used! The trundle is for when she has friends stay over, or we have guests who use her room. They're king single, as we intend this to be her bed for a long time. But yes as above, only a thin mattress fits.

#8 Murderino

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:33 PM

My dad got a bed and trundle for the kids room at his house. DS chose the trundle as his bed at about four and it was okay but this year he has been uncomfortable in the foam mattress (a proper one won’t fit).

I had a bed and base single here so we took that down and the trundle never comes out anymore.

So if you plan to sleep there to keep her in her bed then find one where you can use a proper mattress.

Like Goldenash I won’t tell you about where my 10 and 8 year old sleep - they have beautiful beds they chose with pillow top mattresses. They slept in their own beds until about 3 and 5.

#9 AdelTwins

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

I’d get the drawers. The trundles have terrible mattresses.

I’d also buy a self inflating camping mattress that can be used for you, or camping or when your kids have/go to sleepovers.

#10 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

My 4 year old has a trundle. Gets used occasionally by my other son for “sleep overs”, was used once by a child when we babysat them. And also DH has slept on it when DS was sick and needed close supervision overnight. I also almost used it a week ago when DH had an awful cold and I couldn’t sleep next to him. We can also move it to my other sons room if required, although he doesn’t have the space for a permanent trundle, his room is too small.

I like having a spare bed, even if it is a trundle.  It’s got a low profile mattress, but it’s an inner spring mattress and is still much more comfy than the couch or a foam mattress on the ground (which are our only other options when guests stay)

One thing that is a tiny bit annoying, is if you want a bed side table, or any furniture adjacent to the bed, obviously that has to be moved out of the way somewhere every time you want to get the trundle out. This meant DS’s room only works in certain configurations. It’s a bit annoying, but not enough that it isn’t worth it.

Also, my son is 4, and uses the trundle as a step, to be able to climb into the bed. The beds with trundles and storage as well are even taller, your daughter may need a step stool to get into bed if you get one of those.

#11 Goldenash

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

View Postalchetta, on 15 October 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

You can definitely have it all. I haven't bought yet but will be getting a captain's bed with both trundle and drawers when DD outgrows her cot. Smaller drawers but I'll take it for the extra bed.
https://www.myfurnit...-captains-beds/

https://www.livingst...JQaAlVpEALw_wcB

https://www.snooze.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.fantasti...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.mydeal.c...8aAoOiEALw_wcB#

Alchetta just a small warning. We bought this for my son from he. It died within a year barely slept in. I still don’t understand how it died. And the drawers and trundle were impossible to get in and out. Something to do with the weight.  Obv not all beds are the same. Just be really careful about the manufacturer. We have since bought bunk beds with under bed storage and they are fantastic. But clearly a diff manufacturer.

#12 Mollyksy

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

I just got a double bed and gave in! DS is six and I lay with him until he is asleep and if he wakes up (only occasionally now touch wood). He was a perfect sleeper until he started climbing and the cot had to go then he discovered he could escape! I just figure eventually it wont be his partner and his mummy in the bed and in the meantime cuddles are good for both of us. It's not that much wider than a single really and shorter than a king single.

But to actually answer your question, if there is just room for a single, I'd probably go the trundle if you won't miss the storage space. Great for sleepovers and if you arent big, you might be ok! I am plus size so thin foam is a nope for me!

#13 Mollyksy

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

Actually great point of PP re bed height. The double bed DS has is very low to the ground and he has fallen out a few times (yep, he felt out of a double bed! A few times!). I'm wary when he sleeps at grandad house as he has a high king bed. But DS sleeps snuggled with grandad with grandad almost falling out and miles of room on the other side so is ok.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

As well as inner spring trundle mattresses, there are trundle beds that take a proper single mattress too, like this one
https://bedtime.com....tal-trundle-bed
Trundles and mattresses aren’t like they used to be.

Also, my mum has a trundle, that has legs, that rises it up to the height of the other bed, making it a queen sized bed for guests when assembled. That could be handy too. Don’t know the brand through, she got it second hand

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 15 October 2019 - 09:00 PM.

#15 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

We have the Jordan captain bed from Fantastic furniture. The trundle bed has enough room to have a decent mattress so I've found it comfortable enough. The drawers aren't all that big so you can't store too much but they're better than nothing. The height to get into the top bed may be a bit much depending on your child's ability and your floor covering.

#16 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

This is the sort of thing my mum has. It’s a far cry from a foam mattress in a box, lol
https://www.dialabed...single-trundle/

#17 JK4

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

My children got trundle beds at 2 and the trundles and have been used for sleepovers - they are used more by friends now they are teens/tweens than they ever where when the kids were young. Well worth it in our experience.

#18 IamOzgirl

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

Wow, I got a trundle bed from catch. The takes full size single inner spring mattress.

It's a day bed that can turn into two twin beds, or a king size bed for a couple (trundle lifts to same height as main bed)

The trundle hate (for weird mattress sizes) is interesting.

Mine was knock off of the similar Ikea day bed / trundle.

#19 Jenflea

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

I'm jealous of people who have rooms big enough to have a bed and trundle out. Or double beds for their kids.
DD's single bed only just fits in her room in ONE configuration, no way could we actually fit a trundle on the floor. She also has a bedside table.

#20 WaitForMe

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:18 PM

For me, I can fit on DD2's bed with her. I'm more comfortable in my own bed of course but its not too bad. Helps that I got her the single version of my mattress, which I love.

#21 Pocket...

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

Having spent a year at one point sleeping on a camp mattress due to a terrible sleeper, please get a really good trundle. You'd easily spend ten times as much on physio to fix your broken body than you'd save by buying the camp mattress.

#22 Caribou

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:23 AM

I get wanting your DD to sleep in her own room. Makes sense. I’d set both my kids down for sleep in their bed, DD was 5 before she stopped turning up in our bed, and DD is 2.5 and still turns up around 3-4am.

IMO - kids are not instinctively born to sleep on their own. They seek out security of their parents. It’s not so much about who’s bed is better. It’s who’s in it.

I’d go king single and storage. That way you can comfortably sleep in her bed and everyone gets sleep.

#23 perthgal3

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

Our DS has a trundle (low profile inner spring mattress). When he was young we took the trundle mattress out and kept in next to our bed in our room & he used to come into our room in the middle of the night and sleep next to us on the floor.

When he got older we used it in the trundle for sleepovers. It has been great for having a friend sleepover.

We basically use it as a spare mattress and it gets moved to my other DS's room if he is having a friend sleepover.

It's been well used.

#24 jayta

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

We have one and rarely use the trundle. We have to rearrange the furniture in the room to pull it out (bedside table, chair etc)

And the bed is also really tall, so any falls are worse

It may come in handy for sleepovers when my DD is older.

#25 decisionsdecisions

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

We have a trundle bed base which we put a blow up camping mattress in & used it to lie with kids to get them off to sleep when they first moved to a bed.  When we didn't need to stay with them to settle them we deflated the mattress and used the recess of the trundle bed for storage.

At one stage it made for a fantastic place to set up Lego and be able to leave it.  Push trundle under top bed, mess gone but Lego creations ready to play with another time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.