Delayed cord clamping - c section

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

I’ve been reading about this with a lot of mixed information specifically with a c section.  

Some doctors refuse, some don’t understand .. there are a few different ways it can be achieved with a c section, some Drs try milking the cord to speed things up.

Has anyone done this with a c section? How did it go for you? Do you have any tips?

I’ve got an appt this Friday with my midwife so would like to raise it then for consideration by the OB.

#2 amaza

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

I had this with my last baby. They were comfortable to allow it for a short time but not the whole time. When he was born they put 60 seconds on the clock. In that time they lowered the screen a little and let me touch and stroke him. As soon as the 60 seconds was up they continued on. I was so happy about it. 60 seconds was a good compromise for me and I had never felt any of my babies straight after birth before so that touch/warmth was incredibly precious to me (more so than I realised).

This was originally planned to happen with a particular OB on a particular day but I went into labour at 37 weeks and the birth happened with the OB on shift that night so was a last minute request.

#3 tryagain2

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

I have a c section coming up and asked my OB because like you I had found conflicting opinions online.
I have been told they will wait as long as they can but because my risk of bleeding increases with the wait they won't wait too long. So I haven't been given the 60 seconds like pp but I've at least planted a seed on what I would like.
Interested in the "milking" of the cord - did that seem to be beneficial or any negatives your read?

#4 JomoMum

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

Amaza that’s so great you were able to have this. Does the time start when the head is out and baby takes first breath? It sounds like a wonderful few moments for you both x

Tryagain2 is be happy with 60 seconds honestly.
I didn’t read anything about the milking as particularly negative or positive, rather just something they do to encourage  their process along. I could see that happening maybe in circumstances where there is risk of bleeding? I’d prefer it to happen naturally though if it was safe.

#5 400

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

Many OBs will now do delayed cord clamping (since the baby DUCC trial showed good results) At Caesar if a) baby is trying to breathe and in a good condition (i.e. doesn’t need to go get a bit of help) and b) there are no surgical concerns of rapid blood loss. If it is safe to do so most are agreeable to wait until the cord stops pulsating, which is often less than a minute- any longer after it stops is a waste of time as it’s not doing anything anyway.

One element of controversy is that really for the most benefit of delayed clamping the baby is supposed to be lower than the placenta so that gravity assists- that’s basically impossible at Caesar (though to be fair basically doesn’t get done after vaginal birth since baby is usually up on mum anyway).

Some OBs that don’t to delayed clamping are usually of the impatient type that just want to get the operation finished, but a good one will usually pause for a moment either by default or if you ask them.

Milking the cord is potentially dangerous as it can cause fluid overload (it “forces” the blood in) and I would be inclined to avoid that if I were you.

#6 amaza

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 16 October 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

Amaza that’s so great you were able to have this. Does the time start when the head is out and baby takes first breath? It sounds like a wonderful few moments for you both x

Tryagain2 is be happy with 60 seconds honestly.
I didn’t read anything about the milking as particularly negative or positive, rather just something they do to encourage  their process along. I could see that happening maybe in circumstances where there is risk of bleeding? I’d prefer it to happen naturally though if it was safe.

Oh the time was just their thing. It wasn't discussed first because they did say a lot of "We have to see what happens when we are in there" and "We need to make sure you and baby are ok first so cant promise but will try and do what we can" type of stuff. So unfortunately I can't tell you when they started the clock. I just remember them saying that it was 1 minute up and everything starting to happen and move again. I do remember them saying beforehand that they don't like baby uncovered too long too.

Edited by amaza, 16 October 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#7 JomoMum

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

400 thank you for the info. I had read this also about the positioning and gravity, but with the cord still pulsing, that it’s better than not at all?

Interesting about the milking and forcing. This was what I was wondering might be an issue if pushing too much fluid in, or too quickly. The OB I see at the hospital is an absolute di** and I could definitely see him doing this so I will be mindful of this if it ends up being him on the day (chances are slim anyway).

Amaza thanks for sharing. Completely makes sense in any situation they need to assess it when the moment comes.

#8 400

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 17 October 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

400 thank you for the info. I had read this also about the positioning and gravity, but with the cord still pulsing, that it’s better than not at all?

Definitely still better than not at all, it’s just not the “true” delayed CC.

I hope you don’t get the di** doctor. There are so many nice ones around I hope you get someone sensible!

#9 JomoMum

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

So I spoke to my midwife about this at my appointment yesterday and she said it is definitely becoming more common. The Drs are generally happy to accommodate it for a short time (so not the ideal 3 mins) so long as there is no risk of bleeding and baby is ok. With it being so cold in theatre too, they take this into account also.

She said it will really depend on how the procedure goes on the day, and to make sure my support person reminds the midwife and the Dr at the time so it doesn’t get forgotten accidentally in the heat of the moment.

It’s about as positive as I can hope for now! :)

#10 400

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

Good response then! 👏🏻

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.