FIling a complaint against the cleaner

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:39 AM

I have moved out from a small 3br rental house and engaged a cleaner to do end of lease cleaning. I got her from an ad she posted from a FB group. She gave me a list of the scope of her work, much more detailed than the vacancy checklist my agent gave me and told me that her service is BOND BACK GUARANTEE. We agreed to a price and she did her work. I just quickly inspected the property after, found some areas which weren't properly cleaned and messaged her to re-do the job. She went the following day, did only those specific stuff I asked her to do. Some areas are still not ok like cobwebs which I think is basic. I quickly did some of the work anyway as we are due to send back the keys to the agent the following day. I haven't informed her right away of the quality of her work thinking that I'll just message her once the agent is done with the final inspection. Now, the agent has reverted back to us with a long list of cleaning issues which should have been covered by the cleaner. I contacted the cleaner, but of course she isn't responding anymore. The agent will now have to engage someone to do the job and will take it out from my bond.
New here in AU, not sure how to go about this situation. I have sent an email to the cleaner with a complaint letter and pics attached. I am asking her for a 75% refund because based on her list, only 25% of the job was done.
Any advice?????? Thanks in advance.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Don't let the agent take any of your bond. Ask for the name of the cleaner they use, and engage them directly yourself. Not having your bond returned in full can be a black mark against your name for future rentals.

No idea about the cleaner who did a sh*tty job.

#3 Caribou

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Agent can't take your bond, if your in NSW and you can prove with an invoice you did engage with a cleaner, they shouldn't be able to use your bond.

Contact Fair trading ASAP. they cant take it out of your bond without your permission.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Not sure what you can do now expect complain really, yes you could call the fair trading (state relevant) but not sure what actually can be done.

We used a cleaner that the agent uses (one of previous) places so when they did a terrible job we told the agents.

For you though other than clean it yourself or pay someone else or lose the money

No not fair or right but not surer of any other answer

#5 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Caribou, on 16 October 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Agent can't take your bond, if your in NSW and you can prove with an invoice you did engage with a cleaner, they shouldn't be able to use your bond.

Contact Fair trading ASAP. they cant take it out of your bond without your permission.

That is good to no but it is this actually legal? (that is a genuine question!)

#6 1975ladybug

Where you provided with a company registration or insurance?

Other than google reviews or Facebook reviews, maybe a claim to small claims court not sure what you can do,

#7 zenkitty

Is the cleaner running an actual business or cash in hand? You could go to your state’s small claims tribunal but I’m not sure how that goes with more informal arrangements.

I think it’s going to be hard to get a refund either way, unfortunately. Maybe next time arrange to pay half on completion of the job to your satisfaction? Or go with the agent approved cleaner and let them chase it if not up to scratch.

#8 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the early replies. I am in VIC.
I have an invoice as proof of end of lease clean, carpet steam clean, and gardening.

Not sure what the impact is, but I am not sure if this cleaner has an ABN or not. Got her from a facebook advertisement in a fb group. Sigh. I know I shouldn't have done that. :no2:

#9 lozoodle

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

charmed30, on 16 October 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

Thanks for the early replies. I am in VIC.
I have an invoice as proof of end of lease clean, carpet steam clean, and gardening.

Not sure what the impact is, but I am not sure if this cleaner has an ABN or not. Got her from a facebook advertisement in a fb group. Sigh. I know I shouldn't have done that. :no2:

A tax invoice needs to have the ABN on it.

#10 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

look up her name or the business name on the ASIC website.

If she is a registered business it will be listed.

Ring small claims and see what they say, can't hurt.

Then post bad reviews all over facebook. :p

#11 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

lozoodle, on 16 October 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

A tax invoice needs to have the ABN on it.

Shoot. there is no ABN.

#12 AdelTwins

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

The ATO might like to know about that. Running a business and not paying GST and tax on the income.

ETA - could be legitimate if she’s only earning a small amount per year.

Edited by AdelTwins, 16 October 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Did she charge GST?

Is the invoice just in her own name, or the name of a business?

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

What exactly wasn’t cleaned to the agent’s standard? I’d be looking at that list, before chasing the cleaner. Ask for photos, evidence, etc. fight back on that.

If a cleaner went through the place, then you went through the place, how dirty can it be?? Some agents go over and beyond what is legally required to be done. They can only really claim for damage.

Don’t give up your bond. Put in a claim in directly to have your bond returned yourself, or argue their division. Don’t sign anything! Then the agent has to dispute it, or got to VCAT,  don’t let them walk all over you.

We always got our bond back and usually just cleaned the place ourselves, apart from the carpets.

Bit more about it here
https://www.consumer...ords-and-owners

#15 Let-it-go

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Tbh it sounds to me like the agency is one trying to rip you off, not the cleaner.  You said you looked around and she went back to clean the things you requested and then you went and did a few extra bits.  

Was it really that bad when you handed the keys back?  

The onus is on you to inspect and make sure it’s back to original standard when you hand in the keys.

Don’t give them your bond.

#16 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

born.a.girl, on 16 October 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Did she charge GST?

Is the invoice just in her own name, or the name of a business?
No GST. Invoice is on her own name, personal details.

#17 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

~LemonMyrtle~, on 16 October 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

What exactly wasn’t cleaned to the agent’s standard? I’d be looking at that list, before chasing the cleaner. Ask for photos, evidence, etc. fight back on that.

If a cleaner went through the place, then you went through the place, how dirty can it be?? Some agents go over and beyond what is legally required to be done. They can only really claim for damage.

Don’t give up your bond. Put in a claim in directly to have your bond returned yourself, or argue their division. Don’t sign anything! Then the agent has to dispute it, or got to VCAT,  don’t let them walk all over you.

We always got our bond back and usually just cleaned the place ourselves, apart from the carpets.

Bit more about it here
https://www.consumer...ords-and-owners
I have disputed some things on the list. Those are settled. But the rest are all cleaning issues which I wasn't able to take note of and should've been on the list that the cleaner and I agreed.Things such as cupboards cabinets, carpet inside the cabinets, light fixtures, and everything in the ensuite bathroom and kitchen. Some areas I did myself like removing cobwebs. I was too busy to scrutinize everything and within our list and the agent's.
There are pictures which the agent took, I asked for them and yeah, in a way I agreed that those should have been covered by the cleaner.

#18 charmed30

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Let-it-go, on 16 October 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Tbh it sounds to me like the agency is one trying to rip you off, not the cleaner.  You said you looked around and she went back to clean the things you requested and then you went and did a few extra bits.  

Was it really that bad when you handed the keys back?  

The onus is on you to inspect and make sure it’s back to original standard when you hand in the keys.

Don’t give them your bond.

At one quick rundown of the house, I think should be ok. but then the agent scrutinized those unnoticeable areas which I agree based on the pics, are just filthy.

At least now I know that I could resist on them touching my bond.

#19 IamtheMumma

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

A lesson for the future, use the cleaner the RE recommends. Then if its not up to standard, you can throw it straight back on them. The cleaners usually know what the RE will accept. I'd call their cleaner and get them to fix the mess. Then take the other lady to small claims and maybe call the ATO.

Bond cleaning is serious cleaning and some people seriously underestimate how much time it takes. We all get caught out with some dodgy cleaners. I hired one lady who advertised full bond cleans. She had great reviews on FB. Having been caught in the past with over the phone quotes, I got her around so she could see what was needed. She was running a legitimate business. Anyway, her bond clean failed the final inspection. The main complaint was none of the windows were cleaned. I rang her up to get her back and I told her about the dirty windows. She said she didn't do windows. What? How can you offer a full bond clean if you leave out a decent portion of a house. She had to redo the kitchen as well.

#20 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

Another who uses the RE preferred cleaner then give them a copy of receipts.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

There's no point ringing the ATO - with what information, exactly?

There's no evidence she's not declaring it on her tax return.

I agree with others to use the agency cleaner - even if it's for selling, not only bond clean. They have their reputation with the agency to consider.

We had (were given) a separate quote for windows for my MIL's because the cost of that made up nearly half of the total cost of the clean before selling.  The clean that she did was a 'bond clean' and you could eat your lunch off any surface after she'd finished.  Of course we gave that feedback to the agent.

#22 Caribou

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

seayork2002, on 16 October 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

That is good to no but it is this actually legal? (that is a genuine question!)

It's illegal for agents to take the bond without signature of the tenant. everyone HAS to agree to the bond being used. otherwise they must take it to tribunal to claim bond for loss/damage.

I've been at the receiving end of a bad bond clean from tenants, and believe me, it was a surprise to find out that agents have no power over the bonds without going to tribunal.

It's in the fair trading website here. https://www.tenants....ctsheet-03-bond

#23 seayork2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:47 PM

Caribou, on 16 October 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

It's illegal for agents to take the bond without signature of the tenant. everyone HAS to agree to the bond being used. otherwise they must take it to tribunal to claim bond for loss/damage.

I've been at the receiving end of a bad bond clean from tenants, and believe me, it was a surprise to find out that agents have no power over the bonds without going to tribunal.

It's in the fair trading website here. https://www.tenants....ctsheet-03-bond

Thanks but I meant more about the showing the invoice of the cleaner being accepted legally so even if it is not clean the invoice would be enough to get out of it, I still thought the place had to be clean

(Sorry if that makes no sense! I hate typing on my phone)

#24 Caribou

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

seayork2002, on 16 October 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Thanks but I meant more about the showing the invoice of the cleaner being accepted legally so even if it is not clean the invoice would be enough to get out of it, I still thought the place had to be clean

Yes. The lease usually says your need to engage in a professional cleaner. Unless they specify the type of professional cleaner, you did as the lease agreement specified and have an invoice to prove so. We had this happen when we left a place and agent said house isn’t clean. And we said ‘we engaged a cleaner to do it.’ They said prove it. We did. They couldn’t take it further bc we did as lease stated and engaged in a professional clean.

#25 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

seayork2002, on 16 October 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Caribou, on 16 October 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Yes. The lease usually says your need to engage in a professional cleaner. Unless they specify the type of professional cleaner, you did as the lease agreement specified and have an invoice to prove so. We had this happen when we left a place and agent said house isn’t clean. And we said ‘we engaged a cleaner to do it.’ They said prove it. We did. They couldn’t take it further bc we did as lease stated and engaged in a professional clean.

This is where having an ABN comes in. In the OP's case, even though she got a cleaner in, it wouldn't count as a professional cleaner because the cleaner is not a registered business. The cleaner in the OP's case may have an ABN but its not documented on the invoice, where it usually is.

Another little expense the tenants get added to their lease on the quiet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.