Independent inspection before warranty ends

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

We have a second warranty fault with our VW.  Another minor issue, but it's got me thinking about when the warranty ends in August next year...

Has anyone ever got an independent mechanic to check there aren't any issues that should be fixed before the end of the warranty?

I really enjoy the car, but I'll think I'll go back to Japanese cars after this.

#2 threeinnyc

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:42 AM

I wouldn't.

Since we moved to Manhattan we dont own a car anymore but we used to drive VW back in Sydney (new lease every 2 years) but I don't recommend it to anyone. If you want a reliable car go with Toyota!

Edited by threeinnyc, 17 October 2019 - 04:42 AM.

#3 Popper

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:17 AM

I have a friend who has just had her 3.5 yr old polo fall to pieces only 6 months out of warranty. She has spent $5k already trying to fix it and it now needs a whole new engine on top of that! She has requested VW consider replacement of the engine for free given $ spent this year and is in discussions with fair trading.

#4 Caribou

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:28 AM

I’d be wary. Does warranty say it’s void if you don’t use an authorised VW mechanic?

#5 BornToLove

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:48 AM

I don’t think OP wants this mechanic to preform any work on the car. She wants them to produce a list of possible future issues based on the current wear and tear of the car for VW to address before the warranty ends.

I have done this and no issues were found, but that doesn’t mean that stuff didn’t pop up 6-12 months out of warranty. The mechanic was knowledgeable and did say X and Y are common issues with my make of car and to be aware and monitor for issues. At the time, this wasn’t an issue for my car, but he advised to monitor and get it fixed if things changed before it broke.

That said, If you want to reduce potential future costs, I would look into purchasing an extended warranty. That might be more piece of mind for you.

#6 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

My recommendation would be to join the Australian VW forum for advice. Their thousands of members would have identified issues, potential or otherwise with regards to the brand.

https://www.vwwaterc...orums/index.php

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

We had a lemon of a VW. At one stage the service manager even needed to drive the car home and back himself to work out the issues (two of which were intermittent).  Cost us thousands.

It was a car with heated seats, one of which gave out soon after the warranty period, and we were quoted $300 just to find out what the issue was - solution was up to $3,000. We didn't bother.

Along with the other issues we just traded the car in for an awful price, which was probably better than a price we'd get if we'd had to get everything fixed and sell privately, though.

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

That’s a harrier warranty.  You don’t have to go through their ‘approved’ mechanics.  It’s a have so they can just slug you with overpriced, overkill inspections done very regularly.  Plus I don’t believe they did most of the stuff on the list.  On top of that they disconnected some wiring for the stereo and denied it was them which we then had to pay $$ to get fixed.
That was the last straw.  We got advice and went to our regular mechanic saved $$$ and they weren’t done every five minutes either.

Edited to add the word ‘done’!

Edited by Holidayromp, 17 October 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#9 MrsCee

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostCaribou, on 17 October 2019 - 05:28 AM, said:

I’d be wary. Does warranty say it’s void if you don’t use an authorised VW mechanic?

No, you will not void your warranty if you don’t use their authorised mechanic. Any MVRIC mechanic can service any car and you will retain warranty.

It’s a misconception which is perpetuated by the car sales industry so you use their overpriced services and overpriced genuine parts.

You may be limited though by the software needed to make adjustments which is normally owned by the manufacturer and tightly held onto.

Back to the OP... yes, we have a licensed mechanic give our cars the once over before warranty and then we take the car to the dealership and request any warranty work be done.

Helps that our licensed mechanic also happens to be my husband who takes the car to the dealership and tells them what they need to do. This is the on,y time the dealership will see us as DH will do all services etc before then.

Have done it multiple times o er multiple dealerships and never had a problem.

It certainly is sensible to do before you warranty runs out.

#10 JomoMum

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

Yes we’ve done this with every car we’ve owned. We ask our mechanic to do a warranty check when we send it in for service.

Just FYI, it costs us a small fortune to service our small 7 year old Japanese car - we often joke we may as well be driving a VW!

#11 JBH

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

The NRMA offers this service:
https://www.mynrma.c...cle-inspections

#12 IamOzgirl

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

No!

This is such a falicy (sp?)

Our last car had never been serviced by the dealer and we had warranty work done.

Country people don't have a dealer they can just go to.

It has to be an authorised mechanic. But not a dealer.

#13 ytt

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:46 PM

We had so many issues in warranty with my BMW so we got rid of it for a Merc with no issues.

I can't even count the times we had a replacement BMW, towards the end they were giving us a top of the line M series to take home to get us to upgrade. I told the BMW salesman I will never have another one... I let DH take the Merc, I'm happy with our 350K plus on the clock diesel Prado I refuse DH to trade in. I refuse to drive the Merc and will rather borrow DS Hyundai if needed.

#14 gracie1978

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:48 PM

Nice to hear that this something a mechanic would do and I'm not just being strange :)

If I was working full time I would just get a new car.  But we can't currently afford it.  The next car will def need to be bigger otherwise we will never be going on a road trip ever again.

I'm just hoping that between getting it checked and that we have only out 30 00km on it and I suspect in the next 12m I'll only put another 5 000 on, hopefully we will still be another 30 000km away from something going wrong.

#15 iwanttosleepin

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

I've owned lots of VWs over the year.

We had a Red GTi years back - no problem ever.  except if you engaged the ABS brakes, the left rear tail-light would blow.  it happened a couple of times.  

Next we had a blue Golf R - it had a serious fault.  it tried to kill my DH twice, by essentially going into 'limp home' mode on a 7 lane free when he was in the fast lane (overseas) when he was travelling about 130km/hr.  we got rid of it immediately.

Next a red Tiguan.  It has quite a few minor faults.  none mechanical.  the sat nav forgot how to speak in English (German only), the boot latch failed and wouldn't close, a door handle failed etc.  we had it for 3 years and replaced it.

My mum had a golf.  it had gearbox failure twice.  second time at 4 years and out of warranty.  however, VW fixed it for free.

I would get it checked but not sure they will be able to forsee many of the issues we have had over the years.

I now have a Ford Focus.  it had the gearbox fault but that has been fixed under warranty.  no other issue ever.  its done 140,000 km and I wish it would die.

#16 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:32 AM

View PostQuisbySchmoo, on 17 October 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

My recommendation would be to join the Australian VW forum for advice. Their thousands of members would have identified issues, potential or otherwise with regards to the brand.

https://www.vwwaterc...orums/index.php

This was a great suggestion.  We have the base model which is apparently using the very old (read super freaking reliable) wet gearbox.
Every tiggy (that's what the cool forum users call them) that is having issues is from the higher specced models.  Although it also could be that fewer were sold and they were sold to non vw enthusiasts like me who don't join vw forums.

Regardless feeling better about keeping it for another year or two, by then the new model kluger should be out and I'll be working again, so we can head back to a Japanese car.

#17 -Emissary-

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

Drats, we have been planning on getting a Tiguan but I might show DH that forum. Gearbox issue is a massive pain and not to mention costly if you’re out of warranty.

#18 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

It might but given they are looking at an end of warranty inspection it wouldnt be an issue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.