DD8yo still filling a nappy every night

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Happy to have it revived. We are about to start trialing the alarm with DD. She has a friend here for a sleepover tonight so tomorrow is the starting night. Wish us luck! She’s a very deep sleeper too so I assume it will take a while. Keep us posted how you go too LB. I feel some moral support might be useful for this project!!

#52 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

Good luck tomorrow

#53 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:41 PM

yes - good luck!

i will keep you posted.

thankfully DS is quite on board with it - he has school camp coming up in 2020 and i think he’d like to participate in sleepovers. i thought once he saw the contraption he might refuse to go along but he was quite intrigued by it all, although when we fed the sensor thingy in to his pull ups he said “so does this electrocute me?” - when we assured him “no” then he was happy enough.

#54 Lifesgood

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:37 AM

I can only say it happened as if by magic with DS. It felt like we were getting nowhere and all of a sudden we had major progress. Then a setback or two. Then full steam ahead and never looked back. Same thing with DD 5 years ago.

Their brains seem to learn very quickly what the alarm means and their bodies just click in.

Good luck.

#55 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:53 AM

First night with alarm. DD did 2 massive wees, but she did wake up with the alarm both times. Lots of washing and a very tired kid this morning.

#56 Lifesgood

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:40 AM

Not Escapin Xmas, on 29 December 2019 - 05:53 AM, said:

First night with alarm. DD did 2 massive wees, but she did wake up with the alarm both times. Lots of washing and a very tired kid this morning.
What kind of alarm have you got? Is it a pad and bell type? Is that why there is a lot of washing?

#57 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

we had a slight setback - the alarm was glitchy - we put it on last night but it kept going off while he was trying to fall asleep (he definitely hadn’t wet anything) and it freaked him out - so we ditched it last night and we’ll take it back and get another one - different brand - what brand do people recommend?

#58 Lifesgood

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

I’ve used Malem both times

#59 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:28 AM

Lifesgood, on 29 December 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

What kind of alarm have you got? Is it a pad and bell type? Is that why there is a lot of washing?

It’s a Rodger alarm. Undies with sensor and then seperate alarm. We put down a brolly sheet. She wet that (or course) plus the sheet over her. Then next time, it was a towel, fitted sheet and next sheet over her. She wees SO MUCH! Lol. Anyway, she tells me this morning that she does 3 wees a night. Not sure if she’s making that up or she’s more cognisant or what’s happening than I thought....

#60 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:59 AM

We used to make the bed up in several layers - so night time meant just whipping off the top one not a complete remake

#61 Lifesgood

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

Why don’t you put a pull-up over her undies? The alarm will still wake her but you won’t have the washing apart from her undies. Also, make sure the alarm is positioned right where the wee comes out.

#62 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 29 December 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Why don’t you put a pull-up over her undies? The alarm will still wake her but you won’t have the washing apart from her undies. Also, make sure the alarm is positioned right where the wee comes out.

I thought about the pull up over option but I think it would be really uncomfortable. We’ve layered some brolly sheets so that should make things a bit easier. Will report back tomorrow :)

#63 Lifesgood

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

DS had a pull-up over his undies and he wasn’t uncomfortable. Just a thought.

#64 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:28 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 29 December 2019 - 08:18 PM, said:

DS had a pull-up over his undies and he wasn’t uncomfortable. Just a thought.

Hmmm, might try it then. Last night she wee’d at 9.30 and 1am. Thankfully I think she’s still asleep now. Bucketloads of wee again. It’s going to be a tough couple of weeks I suspect!

#65 Lifesgood

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

Keep at it. Honestly it felt like a complete waste of time initially. Then suddenly - progress! A friend who also did this said it took 2-3 weeks before they saw decent progress. For us it was probably 1-2 weeks. Then it takes another few weeks to get completely past the wetting stage with the odd wee here and there. Keep using the alarm until 21 dry nights. We haven’t looked back (and are currently travelling around Europe).

#66 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:08 AM

Only one wee last night! Is that progress? I’m hoping so :)

#67 Lifesgood

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

Yes it is 😁

#68 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

2 wees again last night. Sigh. We are all so tired!!!! Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to start working.

#69 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

God lord we are all tired :( DD did manage another single wee night last night though so that helps. I don’t think I’ve ever done this much washing before. We are sticking at it though, too far gone to stop now!

#70 eponee

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like you're getting there slowly though xx

#71 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:57 AM

3 nights of 'one wee' in a row. So making progress. And doing LOTS of washing.

We have appointment with incontinence nurse tomorrow so will see what she/he has to say. (Slight vent here, DH never put the appointment in the calendar so only found out yesterday about appointment and of course it clashes with other things. Sigh...)

#72 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

No wee last night! Woo hoo! I'm sure it will be 2 steps forward 1 back but it's a good sign nonetheless :)

#73 K.heather

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

A win is a win no matter if you go backwards again, it's still a massive achievement well done dd.

#74 *Spikey*

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

It takes a little while to rewire the brain to take notice of stuff. Fingers crossed for continuing success!

#75 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

Aaaaaand back to square one. Two wees, couldn’t wake her up. Lots of tears. Sigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.