Christmas shopping “where can I find this?”

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#26 ECsMum

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

I am usually pretty good at googling things and finding what I am looking for and at the best price.

For some reason I am having no luck finding a black 24" Vintage/Retro bike for DD - can anyone help?

#27 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

View PostECsMum, on 01 November 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

For some reason I am having no luck finding a black 24" Vintage/Retro bike for DD - can anyone help?

I've worked in the bike manufacturing industry and the graphic department will never do a retro girls bike in black, just will not sell ( rather like how we couldn't sell many women's road bikes in pink, they only lasted one year before being colour swapped). Malvern Star does a fabulous looking 24 retro bike with fenders and basket in a beautiful coral orange if you don't like the pink. Your other option is to get the bike repainted. You would be best to get a bike shop strip down the frame and fenders and take it to a car repainting/ powder coating place to get the best long lasting finish.

#28 Kaz83

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

Any ideas on how to gift a cat for Christmas? We are getting one for our daughter and Im thinking we're going to have to give it to her beforehand....

Disclaimer - we are getting it from a shelter, its something weve talked about for a year, we know theyre not just for Christmas.

#29 CrankyM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:39 PM

wrong thread...

Edited by mayahlb, 01 November 2019 - 12:40 PM.

#30 kimasa

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

View PostKaz83, on 01 November 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Any ideas on how to gift a cat for Christmas? We are getting one for our daughter and Im thinking we're going to have to give it to her beforehand....

Disclaimer - we are getting it from a shelter, its something weve talked about for a year, we know theyre not just for Christmas.

Could you fill a box with cat supplies- a collar, a brush, a few cat toys and so on to give her for Christmas and then adopt the cat afterwards?

#31 ECsMum

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 01 November 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've worked in the bike manufacturing industry and the graphic department will never do a retro girls bike in black, just will not sell ( rather like how we couldn't sell many women's road bikes in pink, they only lasted one year before being colour swapped). Malvern Star does a fabulous looking 24 retro bike with fenders and basket in a beautiful coral orange if you don't like the pink. Your other option is to get the bike repainted. You would be best to get a bike shop strip down the frame and fenders and take it to a car repainting/ powder coating place to get the best long lasting finish.

Thanks so much for replying ... I did think it might be because there would be little demand for a girls black bike.    I will have to see if DD would consider other colours or styles - she wants a black one with red flames :)

#32 seayork2002

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostKaz83, on 01 November 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

no help to you but

I went to get my present before Christmas  and announced very dramatically 'I will not be playing with it till Christmas Day'

It was a cat i thought it was going to be a trampoline

Edited by seayork2002, 01 November 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#33 Riotproof

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

If you’re going to get a cat/kitten, I would just get it now. I can’t see it would be particularly good to have a new cat trying to adjust to you when you’re also distracted by Christmas.

#34 kimasa

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

I've been thinking about the wrapping paper thing, I have leftovers from last year that I'm using for this year, but for next year I'm planning on getting those Christmas flats Spotlight sells after Christmas on clearance. Instead of sewing the bags (/paying for the bags) I could just pin them in place while "wrapping" as if it were something I'm sewing, tie it up with fabric ribbon and the pull the pins out?

Someone point out the flaw in my plan please.

Edited by kimasa, 01 November 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#35 Riotproof

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Have a look at this https://www.1million...abric-wrapping/

#36 kimasa

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'm going to need the full year to practice this, haha.

#37 Riotproof

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

No way..

#38 CrankyM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

It looks fabulous, I suspect mine would look like pinterest rejects but I certainly will try it.

#39 BeAwesome

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 19 October 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'm not the poster that requested this, but it's also what I've been looking for.  It never occurred to me to check MTA, despite being a teacher :lol:

The other thing I am looking for is a rack to display Taekwondo belts, under $100

#40 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

View PostBeAwesome, on 01 November 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

I'm not the poster that requested this, but it's also what I've been looking for.  It never occurred to me to check MTA, despite being a teacher Posted Image

The other thing I am looking for is a rack to display Taekwondo belts, under $100

These any good?

https://medaldisplay...BCABEgIDA_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.c...562502107&psc=1

#41 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

If she wants a black bike with flames, does it have to be a girls bike????  a bike is really just a bike in essence

#42 crazypenguin

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

I really want to get my kids a big number square. So numbers 1-100 on a large piece of plastic or similar, each number being a box of a size that a person could stand it. If it was a game like snakes and ladders, that would be a bonus. But I need all the 1s to be in a column (eg 1, 11, 21, 31 all under eachother). Has anyone seen one?? Please!

#43 PuddingPlease

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

View Postkimasa, on 01 November 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

I've been thinking about the wrapping paper thing, I have leftovers from last year that I'm using for this year, but for next year I'm planning on getting those Christmas flats Spotlight sells after Christmas on clearance. Instead of sewing the bags (/paying for the bags) I could just pin them in place while "wrapping" as if it were something I'm sewing, tie it up with fabric ribbon and the pull the pins out?

Someone point out the flaw in my plan please.

I think the fabric idea is brilliant but from an environmental stand-point it only really works if you get the fabric back afterward or if your friends re-use the fabric for their own gifts. The environmental footprint of cotton is greater than for paper generally so if the fabric is only used once or twice this may end up being a worse option environmentally speaking.

I think your wrapping plan sounds marvellous though and I think most people would happily return the fabric for re-use.

#44 kimasa

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:50 AM

We don't really give presents to anyone other than family anyway, so it's probably not even going to leave my house.

The intention is to reuse it over and over until I die.

#45 Hands Up

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

We got a cat from the RSPCA run pound  on Christmas Day when I was a kid. Dad picked him up on Christmas Eve and he spent the night in their room which was at the other end of the house from our rooms, basically a separate wing. We weren’t expecting it despite much begging. He was such a magical gift!

Also thanks to everyone who answered my questions! Lots to google now :-)

#46 BeAwesome

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

View PostQuisbySchmoo, on 01 November 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Thank you, the first one was exactly what I was looking for - I'd seen similar before, but overseas with high postage, that on is far more reasonable.

#47 Hands Up

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

I’ve found a fantastic website for second hand LEGO.

bricktastic.com

Much easier to navigate than bricklink. I just bought a vehicle pack containing fully assembled and half assembled cars, trucks etc. plus heaps of vehicle parts. 790 pieces of exactly what I wanted for $70! Stoked :-)

#48 ECsMum

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Edited by ECsMum, 05 November 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#49 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

Trying to track down a Rubik's cube which is not gigantic, but still easy to turn.

#50 seayork2002

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 08 November 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Trying to track down a Rubik's cube which is not gigantic, but still easy to turn.

I think I have seen these in the Reject shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.