Removing the front yard fence?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 luke's mummu

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

We have an older 1970's house with a low (approximately 50cm high) brick fence. Last week it looks like one of the workers on the worksite nextdoor ran into it and knocked a large piece off(grr).

Rathe than us paying for repairs, DH thinks to pull the whole fence l down, and build a large letterbox to one side. This would give us more parking space in the front yard. Given we have 2 parking spots, and soon to have 2 teenage boys, in the next 7-10 years we could possibly need 4 off-street spots.

But I'm worried no front fence would  make dogs, pedestrians etc easier to walk into our front yard, more dog poo etc

Looking around our neighbourhood, maybe only 1 out of 10 houses have no front fence, and it's mainly the older ones.

Has anyone any experience in living in living in a house with no fence? Did you regret knocking one down?  

Thanks.

Edited by luke's mummu, 19 October 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Murderino

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

I’ve never had one (no one around me does) and it’s fine. I’ve never had problems with dogs, cats or people in my yard.

#3 Ollie83

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

I didn’t have one in Adelaide and it was fine, like you say it gave us many more parking options. If someone or something wants to come in they’ll get in regardless of a fence.

#4 Jane Jetson

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

Very few houses here in the ACT, apart from the real heritage suburbs, seem to have a front fence. I believe the idea is that open front yards are friendlier and encourage openness and a lack of delineation between public and private areas or some rubbish like that.

I wish I could put up a front fence. If I had one I'd never knock it down.

This is my territory and other people can **** off, and that includes whoever keeps putting their dog poo in my recycling bin.

#5 gettin my fance on

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:48 PM

We have no front fence and I hate it.

Every bit of crap blows into our yard even with a slight breeze and makes the front of the house look awful.

When I planted a small garden bed in one front corner, just about everyone that went by thought it was okay to let their kids walk onto it to pick any flowers in bloom - plants were trashed.  I even caught a parent one day, encouraging their kids to get the flowers that were only accessible by walking into our yard or over the garden bed.

#6 Dianalynch

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

I had no front fence, which I thought was fine until I moved and got one, and now my only wish is that it was higher

#7 Jenflea

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

We're not allowed to have a fence in the ACT.
I'd love one!

But not right to the curb, I'd like off street parking with a fence blocking off half my front yard.

Though it's much easier to mow without one in the way, no worry about edging or anything.

Fun fact, i don't even have a side gate (DH and I never could agree on how it was done, so it just...wasn't) and in the 22 years here, I've seen maybe 4 dogs running in my backyard and no humans.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Front fences are a rarity in new estates. I don’t see a need for them. You could always plant a bit of a garden, just to discourage people.

We actually have a front fence (no gate though) and some random dog still shat on our front lawn once. Can’t help idiot dog owners.

As for brick front fences, If you want a laugh, check out this Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.c...cesofmelbourne/

#9 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

Our complex doesn't and we live a a major road with lots of pedestrians. A large amount of cans, bottles and litter that is left or blown in, sometimes sitting on top of the mail box.
If you have lots of people walking past I would want a fence.

#10 Mands09

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Canberran here too. Front fences, what a novelty!

#11 jayskette

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

you can grow a front hedge!

#12 Jenflea

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

I am sure people will still throw rubbish over your fence and the wind will still blow stuff into your yard though.

#13 annodam

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

No front fence here either, Northern suburbs of Melbourne.
I don't like it, if I had a fence I'd never in a million years knock it down.
Mum had her fence knocked down by the neighbours across the street, somehow they backed into it & knocked out the letterbox part of it.  They claimed through their insurance & it got fixed.
You need to ask your neighbours who that workman was that knocked it over, he needs to pay to get the fence repaired, that's what I'd do!

#14 Arthur or Martha

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

I don't have a front fence, because DH doesn't want one. Every random dog does its business in my yard,and stray cats fight near my front door. People drop rubbish in my yard and take anything that's not nailed down.
When my kids were little I had to be super vigilant when going out the front because they could run off with no fence.
I'd love a fence.

#15 QuirkyMum

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

OP, depending on the area and council, if you knock it down you might never be able to build one.
Even if some houses have it, rules change and council might not approve your DA for a fence ever.
I wouldn't knock it down...

#16 luke's mummu

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

View Postannodam, on 19 October 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

No front fence here either, Northern suburbs of Melbourne.
I don't like it, if I had a fence I'd never in a million years knock it down.
Mum had her fence knocked down by the neighbours across the street, somehow they backed into it & knocked out the letterbox part of it.  They claimed through their insurance & it got fixed.
You need to ask your neighbours who that workman was that knocked it over, he needs to pay to get the fence repaired, that's what I'd do!

Unfortunately we don’t get along very well with the neighbor, so I highly doubt he’ll tell me. I checked all the cars in the street, and none have any damage. So I’m just assuming it was one of the builders labours and they’re hiding their car in another street.

#17 Lifesgood

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

We mostly have garden beds instead of fences in my street. Ours has grown into a kind-of hedge in the 20 years we have been here. I really like it and never had a problem with trespassers.

#18 Blue Shoe

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

We put in a fence when the drug-dealing neighbour’s customers kept cutting right across our front lawn for the shortest route to her front door. Ended up turning the whole (otherwise fairly useless) front lawn into a wonderful veggie garden and play space for the kids.

#19 IamtheMumma

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

We haven't had one for years and I admit, I keep the front blinds in my room closed most of the time because of it. We haven't had an increase in rubbish or dog poos in that time.

I wish we could park on the grass but council will ticket you if you do, so check your local laws as this might contribute to your decision.

#20 red_squirrel

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

It’s ok if you live in an area where most people don’t have a fence as it spreads the load.

But if it’s only you in the street, then guess who gets all the blown in leaves, rubbish and dog poo.

#21 Julie3Girls

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

Probably depends on where you live.
No front fence here, and it’s pretty rare. There is no reason for anyone to cut across our front yard, so that isnt an issue. And play when my kids were little was in our back yard.

#22 spr_maiden

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

We have a fence and hedge higher than the picket fence,  with no gate. I wish there was a gate. Rubbish blows in. And arrogant lazy-a*sed dog owners let their dogs poo in our front yard. If I ever see the bloody dog,  I'm calling the pound.  And if I see the owner, I'm going to rub their dog poo in their shirt.

#23 Elly_Bells

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostQuirkyMum, on 19 October 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

OP, depending on the area and council, if you knock it down you might never be able to build one.
Even if some houses have it, rules change and council might not approve your DA for a fence ever.
I wouldn't knock it down...

I was about to say the same thing. In my area you can only build a fence to replace what's currently there. New fences are not approved by the council.

#24 Hands Up

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

I like the look of front fences and the safety aspect with young children.

#25 gracie1978

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

We don't and we have had one lot if dog poo in 5 years.

I think removing the fence in preparation for young drivers in an excellent idea.

Also like the hedge concept.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.