Removing the front yard fence?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 WaitForMe

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

They were rare where I grew up, from memory there weren't many dog problems. Cats will ignore fences anyway.

I have a fence and gate now, must admit I do like it because I have a dog and small kids.

#27 laridae

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

I would hate to not have a front fence.
We have both a front fence and a hedge behind it.
Our front yard has my veggie patches, chickens and a rabbit hutch. Plus a number of fruit trees. It's a useful area. If there was no front fence I couldn't do any of that. It would just have to be grass or plants that are decorative.
Backyard has dog and kids play stuff, so the front yard animals can't go there.

#28 AnaBeavenhauser

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

I live in suburbia and I don't have a front fence but any foot traffic is on the opposite side of the road where the footpath is. If I lived on the footpath side of the street I would definitely look into a boundary option, otherwise I'd feel too vulnerable with such close access to my house.
As you would like to utilise the space in future for additional parking and if the council permits , could you replace it with a gated fence, so you have options of bringing in vehicles of your choice to the property but still serves as a fence?
I found this website on the internet and it has a couple of examples of what I am trying to describe.
https://www.matthews...ndgates.com.au/

#29 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

View Postlaridae, on 20 October 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

I would hate to not have a front fence.
We have both a front fence and a hedge behind it.
Our front yard has my veggie patches, chickens and a rabbit hutch. Plus a number of fruit trees. It's a useful area. If there was no front fence I couldn't do any of that. It would just have to be grass or plants that are decorative.
Why couldn’t you have those things if you didn’t have a front fence?

Editing to add, I’m considering removing our front fence because it’s ugly (concrete and chain wire). I’m planning on having a carport at the boundary line if Council will approve it that can house DS’s car if he chooses to have one, be off street visitor parking and a shady play space if required. We have a large hedge that provides a bit of privacy and we will fence further back to keep the dog secure.

Edited by can'tstayaway, 20 October 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#30 PatG

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Postcan, on 20 October 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

Why couldn’t you have those things if you didn’t have a front fence?

I imagine because people would feel free to pick the vegetables, let their dogs scare the rabbits and the chooks would escape.

#31 Wompyrules

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

Another from Canberra who can't have a front fence. I do have large shrubs at the front and side gates which I keep open. Silly me.

I just went to the back yard and disturbed a kangaroo which hopped past the garage and up my driveway.

Now I am located well into a suburb (bordering Mt Taylor for Canberra-ites). I know they are coming into suburbs for feed but this was a new one for me!

#32 laridae

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

PatG said:

1571523505[/url]' post='18494651']
I imagine because people would feel free to pick the vegetables, let their dogs scare the rabbits and the chooks would escape.

exactly this!

people generally respect the boundaries when there is a fence, no fence and it seems a little more like public space.

Edited by laridae, 20 October 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#33 OrangeSprout

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

We don't have a front fence and I would really really love to have one.
6 foot high too :)
It is on my to do list.. one day...

#34 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

We have a high fence and a gate (for kids as the road we live just off is very busy) and I will say a big plus is we never get door to door sales or religious people, trick or treaters or charities.  I think nobody can work out how to come into the yard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.