Virtual School Victoria (distance ed)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gravity1

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

Does anyone have any experience of this school? Positives and negatives would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 yellowtulips74

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Hi OP, my DD (in Year 11) is doing one subject, units 1/2 this year.  Partly because the subject isn't offered at her school and partly because she was facing mental health struggles which were affecting her ability to attend school.

What specifically are you wanting to know?

#3 Ayr

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

I am interested in this but we are in NSW. Is there an equivalent here that anyone knows about? Googling didn't really get me anywhere.

#4 Meepy

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Works well for some students if they are very diligent, self motivated and studious.  They must be interested in the subject and keep up with the work.  They have to attend sessions as a group occasionally - this can mean missing out on other classes but it is very manageable.
SAC's need to be supervised by the home school so may be at odd times when they have a teacher free.
Students also often expect one of the teachers at their home school to help them with content.  This may occur if there is a teacher with knowledge of the subject but depends on how many other subjects and students that teacher has - it usually doesn't work out well as the student expects similar support to what you receive in a classroom.  However they do have a teacher through distance ed who is assigned to them.
One of the most common problems is that students use the time assigned to do other things and fall behind.  They then aren't prepared for the SAC and things pile up.  This happens in all schools but is exacerbated when they don't see the teacher often.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

What are SACs?

#6 José

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

View PostAyr, on 20 October 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

I am interested in this but we are in NSW. Is there an equivalent here that anyone knows about? Googling didn't really get me anywhere.

There is distance ed in nsw.
Mostly run through camden something. Camden haven maybe or camden vale. Generally applications need to ve made through the home school. And depends on the reason why distance ed is being sought.

#7 gravity1

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

View Postyellowtulips74, on 20 October 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Hi OP, my DD (in Year 11) is doing one subject, units 1/2 this year.  Partly because the subject isn't offered at her school and partly because she was facing mental health struggles which were affecting her ability to attend school.

What specifically are you wanting to know?
I guess what the workload is like would be an important consideration. We’d be looking at doing full time for next year due to medical reasons. My son will be in year 10.

#8 José

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Workload is supposed to be equivalent to face to face schooling.
It would depend on the ability of the student though i would think.

#9 gravity1

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostJosé, on 20 October 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

Workload is supposed to be equivalent to face to face schooling.
It would depend on the ability of the student though i would think.

Thanks, DS is very capable but has major anxiety and level 1 ASD, which prevents him from working to his full potential in the school environment.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

My niece and nephew did NZ correspondence school while living overseas. SIL also did it NZ while very ill for 2 years. Workload wise, both children were able to do half a day of school work and then attended a local school to for culutral and social stuff in the mornings. SIL found she was able to complete work in a few days a week when she felt well enough. If you think about the school day, there's quite a bit of waste with assemblies, sport, recesses etc. It doesn't take up a full day.

Edited to add SIL fid the NZ grade equivalent Grade 9 and 10 High school and then was well enough to go back for the last 2 years of high school.

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle, 20 October 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#11 annodam

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 20 October 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

What are SACs?

This from Wiki.

"School assessed coursework" (SACs) are the primary avenue of internal assessment, with assessment in every VCE study consisting of at least one SAC.
SACs are tasks that are written by the school and must be done primarily in class time; they can include essays, reports, tests, and case studies.

#12 AggyW72

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

We had a really positive experience with then in 2016, for very similar reasons. ASD, anxiety and a major health issue.
We still keep in touch with his teacher from that year, she was great!
DS found the workload very easy, so we used to get a few days off every fortnight. He was Grade 5 thought so obviously that won't be the same for year 10 level.
We also used to go in a few times each term to visit or present project DS had done.
All round a very positive experience and just what he needed for a year.
DH's niece has just completed VCE with them over 3 yeasr after significant trauma made school nonviable, and she has also thrived.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.