Water proof covers for cast

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

My child has a broken arm.  I was looking at getting a water proof cover like bloccs or similar.   The reviews say it’s fully submersible,  wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

#2 creatamum

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:48 AM

DS had one for broken arm #2 and it tore after a few uses, he also did not like that he could not use his fingers properly. With break #3 we got a gore-tex (I think) lining that is fully waterproof an it was amazing after a few hours of curing time he could do what ever he wanted, it also seemed to smell a lot less as well as there was less skin irritation under the cast.

If it is just for showering and swimming it may last, DS was about 8ish and was at a pool party (climbing and sliding down inflatables etc) so could have been rough with his. It seemed to be waterproof the little we used it, just make sure you pull it high enough to seal tightly.

#3 Caribou

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:43 AM

How old? My DD was 7. We looked into it too. In the end she survived the worst of summer without it. (It got to 40s some days!)

For the brief time they have the cast, the shopping and cost really isn’t worth it. A little extra caution using bath/show they sweat and it’s like having a plastic bag over your arm. It’s not breathable.

#4 nom_de_plume

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

I have a broken hand/wrist in a cast at the moment and I’ve been managing with a plastic bag over it in the shower or bath. Also using one of those hand held shower heads helps.

#5 Pearson

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:44 AM

We get bloccs. DD  has had 3 broken arms, full casts. All in warmer months.
We use it in the shower and under the sprinkler.
Have never had the guts to use it in a pool. PP is right, they do sweat, another reason prolonged use in the pool was a no go. And the tightness you have to get them at to be waterproof is really uncomfortable.
In saying that, it was much easier and more environmentally friendly than plastic bags, also the plastic bags got holes in them everytime.
They're rubber so they break down between breaks, we have purchased 3.
They're great as an option, we don't have private health, so we don't get fancy casts offered, I wish :) this cost was afordable and as I said, made life easier.

Edited by Pearson, 20 October 2019 - 07:46 AM.

#6 #mocha

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Is a fibercast cast an option?

I had one and it was brilliant.  I did use a plastic bag in the shower.   I had a break over summer and swam in the ocean ever day. Took about a hour to completely dry.  Drop dried quickly.

#7 Bereckii

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

Echoing Pearson's recommendation of the Bloccs http://www.protectacast.com.au/

We only used it for baths and showers (so can't comment on how well it holds up for swimming). It worked well and lasted the full 6 weeks needed perfectly.

We did make sure we were careful putting it on and off (so as not to damage it). But once we got the hang of it (and his arm wasn't so sensitive to movement or bumps) we found it strong and reliable. And certainly quicker and easier to use than plastic bags.

I would definitely use again.

ETA I started a thread on this topic earlier this year, there was some good advice in that thread if you search it up.

Edited by Bereckii, 20 October 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

They're pretty sh*t. Id just get a waterproof cast instead! my DD's arm was broken in winter so it was a non issue, we just washed her hair at the hairdresser a couple of times, but if it was summer I would have got the waterproof cast.

#9 Caribou

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:04 AM

The waterproof case isn’t waterproof anyway. You still have to keep inside dry or least spend a long time drying it. Higher risk for skin infection from irritation of wet areas you couldn’t dry.

Outside. Waterproof. Inside. Not so waterproof.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.