budget friendly smart phones

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kass87

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hello looking at getting my husband a new smart phone as his is playing up. Any recommendations.

#2 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

How much is budget friendly?
What screen size?

The LG V30+ currently at JB for $400 is a very good phone.

If you subscribe to Ozbargain forums they post some good deals in the phone section.

#3 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

It depends on what his needs are.

Kogan is a good place to start. Officeworks have specials on frequently. Aldi has a Nokia 5.1 32GB for $200 at the moment.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Choice listed Kogan on their recent Shonky awards.

Costco have cheaper smartphones, about $75 cheaper than regular retail for some Samsungs, no idea how much cheaper their iphones are though.

#5 BeAwesome

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

My parents each got Samsung A50s recently, they've been happy with them.

#6 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

Jenflea, on 20 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Choice listed Kogan on their recent Shonky awards.

Good to know. I've purchased from them without issue but I've never had to return anything.

#7 Ayr

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

Oppos are good.

I'd stay away from Kogan.

#8 Jenflea

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

I'm getting the A 70 soon, but the 50 did look good too.

#9 Bereckii

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

I got a Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro earlier this year. I am happy with it.

#10 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

BeAwesome, on 20 October 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

My parents each got Samsung A50s recently, they've been happy with them.

Ive also heard these are good.
Ive heard oppos are good from a few people, but the ones Ive seen were buggy and laggy. Obvs. depends which model though.

#11 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

IamtheMumma, on 20 October 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

Good to know. I've purchased from them without issue but I've never had to return anything.

Ive had bad experiences and wont touch them, but a couple of friends have had good experiences. Guess it depends what you order.

#12 ........

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Asus zenfones are very good value if you get models that have been out for a year.

#13 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

View Post........, on 24 October 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

Asus zenfones are very good value if you get models that have been out for a year.

A friend had one that was fantastic and only around $200. That was the 6 I think ? It was a while ago though

#14 Sentient Puddle

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

We got DD an Oppo a few months ago leading into going to High School next year and it was around $250.  Looks like an iPhone 8 in size and has a camera better than my Samsung.  Seems to make and receive calls and texts fine and DD can play games on it (no other apps such as social media - so cant tell you how they work) and has a longer battery life than my Samsung.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you cant tell from the screen in % how charged it is (when charging) only shows how far along the line is on the battery.  You may be about to change this in settings - but only thing I don't like about it and cases were a little more difficult to come by - but not prohibitive.  We paired it with the $10 Amaysim deal.  Cheap way to provide a child with a phone (and partner)!

#15 Quick hedgehog

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

same ^  

DS bought himself an oppo as his first phone going into year 9 and loves it.

So much so that when DH's iphone died, he replaced it with an Oppo.  

You might want to specify what you consider 'budget' though.

#16 ........

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 24 October 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

A friend had one that was fantastic and only around $200. That was the 6 I think ? It was a while ago though

the 6 was really great phone .I have a 2017 zenfone 3 zoom, battery life is insane.

#17 kass87

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

Thank you everyone I'll probably get him a Samsung a50

#18 **Xena**

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

We all have Oppos. They are under $300 and have fantastic cameras.

#19 ~elle~

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

Love my OPPO - had it nearly 3 years still going strong. Got one for my son this year.

#20 Greatmum

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

DD has oppo and loves it.

And when I get a new phone will get one too.

Easy to get cases from eBay.

#21 sophiasmum

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

I would look for refurbished on sites like ozsale, kogan, catch, deal, oo, groupon, cudo, scoopon. I'm an iPhone gal.

#22 lazycritter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

We bought my son a xiaomi phone,  very nice phone with the current specs for the price. The only thing is the camera isn't so good but I'm used to a Sony phone camera.

#23 Bearynice

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

Oppo is good. You can get them at officeworks, big w, job hifi

#24 doubledelight

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

My DP switched from Samsung to Oppo and when DS iphone died he switched to Oppo as well.  DP loves his.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.