Best seat window or aisle?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 excellent

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

What do you prefer... window or aisle? Front of plane or back of plane?

Why?

#2 José

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

I prefer aisle so i can take a little walk or go to the bathroom if needed. I dont mind moving for people next to me. Freedom of movement is important to me

#3 Chchgirl

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

I don't care where I am on the plane but I prefer the window, I've chosen it to go to Nz, not because of scenery but I don't go to the toilet on the plane (I haven't flown further than Nz for 25 years ) , I hate it the moment the plane is in the air people have to get up and go to the loo.

So I don't get climbed over or have to move 😊

#4 casime

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

I prefer an aisle seat.   Unfortunately I'm taking DS on his first overseas trip in a couple of months and he wants a window, so I'm going to be trapped in the middle, which is like my worst nightmare.  I've paid for premium economy so there should be a bit more space.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

i prefer aisle....if i want to get out then i like to be able to so quickly....i don’t really mind people climbing over me....and as far front as i can be ....

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 20 October 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#6 dadwasathome

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

Window and front - because that means premium class of some description. :)

I love looking out the window.

If not a premium class, nearer the centre of the plane, as it's smoothest on longhaul.

Centre in a row of three is the worst, although a bulkhead seat makes that less bad. On our next trip I've got the aisle on one flight, but I've relegated DS16 to one of the centre seats in a row of four. DS11 gets the window....

On the wayback DS11 and I each have both a window seat and an aisle seat, and the others have aisle and centre - we have the one row across the plane :)

Edited by dadwasathome, 20 October 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#7 jayskette

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

window, back. i love being able to see stuff and have extra space to store etuff and sleep. Back because i either get food first, or last which means i can ask for compensation, and if plane crashes the back is the safest to be.

#8 BornToLove

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

I prefer a window, but often travelling as a family of three, I get the middle as DD wants the window and DH likes the aisle. However, I personally need to be sitting as close to the front as possible, I’ll pay extra to sit in the first few rows of economy, long haul we will upgrade to PE. I get claustrophobic so I need to get off as soon as we land.

casime, on 20 October 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

I prefer an aisle seat.   Unfortunately I'm taking DS on his first overseas trip in a couple of months and he wants a window, so I'm going to be trapped in the middle, which is like my worst nightmare.  I've paid for premium economy so there should be a bit more space.

PE is usually 2-4-2 configuration, so a window for him and an aisle for you.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

I like aisle seats in economy, window in business.

I don't really mind front or back of the plane - I've never figured out why the front is supposed to be so much better (I'm generally seated at the front because of my FF status but have travelled further back plenty of times and can't tell the difference).

For those who are really into this topic, check out seatguru.com

#10 timtam92

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

Aisle seat as I’m 6’2” with long legs! My legs touch the seat in front so at least with an aisle I can put them out sometimes.

#11 onetrick

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

Window is great on short flights where the windows stay open, but long haul I feel too claustrophobic at the window. Prefer aisle, but usually end up in the middle as DH is tall so the aisle is comfy for him.

#12 lizzzard

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

onetrick, on 20 October 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

Window is great on short flights where the windows stay open,
Which airline are you flying where they let you keep the windows open? :p

jk :D

#13 night jasmine

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Window for domestic, aisle for anything over 3 hours.

I rarely fly alone these days though so I’m usually seated between the kids. They like to challenge each other in the onboard games.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

Aisle if sat next to strangers, I hate needing to the toilet and having to move people I don't know or waiting them to move

Window if people I know but we let DS have it now

#15 José

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

Chchgirl, on 20 October 2019 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't care where I am on the plane but I prefer the window, (I haven't flown further than Nz for 25 years )

Fly 12+ hours you might find a difference

#16 Jane Jetson

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

I'm good with either, just don't put me in the middle!

Window is good because I am faintly claustrophobic and so it's good to be able to see out. I almost always need to clamber over my seatmate to go to the loo, though, even on a piddly Canberra-Sydney flight, so I feel a bit bad about that, and hence the aisle's not bad either. I don't mind being clambered over, especially if the window passenger's a woman, I assume she's had kids and the resulting bladder/bowel fun I have.

I HATE HATE HATE being either in the middle seat, or in 23F in a QantasLink flight, because 23F will tell you it's a window but it has none and you're trapped between a windowless wall and two other passengers on your left. It's claustrophobia city. Do not like.

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:12 PM

seayork2002, on 20 October 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

Aisle if sat next to strangers, I hate needing to the toilet and having to move people I don't know or waiting them to move

Window if people I know but we let DS have it now

For once I agree with seayork.

I prefer the front of economy, just forward of the wings, cause you get less motion sick there and it has a bit less engine noise.

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

Aisle these days.  
If next to strangers, I can swing away from them a bit and feel less trapped especially if sat next to an armrest hog.  I don't mind moving for them to get up.
If travelling with the kids, they can spread out a bit more without encroaching as they like to both be able to see out the window so it distracts them,  can share screen, two smaller bodies next to eachother etc.  Plus, I still find it cute that they get excited looking out the window every time.

I prefer the back. No one else wants to sit there so unless the flight is full, generally us plebs in the back can spread out a little. Great when they open the exit up back,  but if they don't,  I'm happy to wait so when I or the kids are carrying our bags we don't have to worry about accidentally knocking people in the head due to our innate clumsiness. Because everyone else has scrambled off.

Eta spelling...

Edited by spr_maiden, 20 October 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#19 ~J_F~

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Aisle.. I take an aisle seat everywhere, I get to places super early to get an aisle seat, so I feel uncomfortable stuck in the middle.

I prefer back of the plane, but I prefer to sit at the back of everything. I don’t like people behind me.

#20 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

window. I like it to sleep and with the window, I can arrange the pillow to lean against the wall.

When travelling with kids, they usually want the window and I’m on the aisle trying to protect them from being clipped by a trolley or random passengers with big backpacks.

I try to avoid being near toilets because the queuing people usually invade into your already cramped space as others try to pass to get back to their seat.

#21 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

Dp

Edited by can'tstayaway, 20 October 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#22 bubskitkat

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

My son normally gets the window seat and in in the middle seat.

For sleeping I like the window seat but to be able to move around I’d prefer the aisle seat.

Business class would suit me well.

We tend to be in economy up the back of the plane hoping that’s it’s not a full flight and we get a magical free seat next to us.

Flying back from Europe next year we noted the seat plans and booked at the back of the aircraft where the seat row goes from 3 seats to 2.

#23 Mozzie1

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:38 PM

Aisle and front, u less its business then I'd prefer a window, and preferable the one where the seat is closest to the window, rather than having your drinks/entertainment etc... between you and the window.

lizzzard, on 20 October 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

I like aisle seats in economy, window in business.

I don't really mind front or back of the plane - I've never figured out why the front is supposed to be so much better (I'm generally seated at the front because of my FF status but have travelled further back plenty of times and can't tell the difference).

For those who are really into this topic, check out seatguru.com

The people at the front get to disembark quicker, which makes a big difference on short flights. Also, the back of the plane is more turbulent.

#24 humphreybear

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Aisle up front. Unless I’m going to Canberra in which case it is up the back (Virgin).

#25 400

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

I prefer window as I like “corners” and feel more relaxed. DH prefers aisle as he is very tall and he can utilise the aisle a bit for his legs.

So depending on what we get allocated, if it’s window and middle he takes the middle, if it’s aisle and middle I take the middle. It seems to work out fairly!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.