Vacuum recommendations- floorboards

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf87

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

Good evening!

Boring thread alert - see title. We have had a Shark vacuum for the last million years, but it’s on its last legs. We bought it when we were in a fully carpeted house, and have no complaints!

But now we have no carpet in the entire house. We have 3 cats so lots of cat hair and cat litter about. Any recs for a vacuum good for floorboards?
Every spring we also get fleas (despite the cats being treated), it’s so weird it’s not an issue in summer, just when the weather starts heating up they come out of the woodwork. So at the minute we are vacuuming daily, but usually only about once a week.

Throw me your suggestions! Thanks :)

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

I have a Roomba and it does the living areas every day. We keep the bedroom doors shut to keep the cat off the beds, so I put it in each bedroom about once a week. I have a cheap proper vacuum, but I don’t use it often.

We’ve been fortunate that neither our cat nor our dog have had fleas.

#3 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

We have timber floorboards through the house bar bathrooms and laundry. I also have a large shedding dog.

We have a Roomba that gets a daily workout. We also have a Dyson stick that’s handy for spot cleans and zooming around the kitchen and dining area after meals. And I have 2 Miele barrel vacs - ones upstairs and ones downstairs. They don’t get as much use for the floors themselves. They get pulled out for vacuuming cobwebs, skirting boards, car, couch, air con filters etc.

I could make do with just one of any of the above but the combination works well for us.

Fleas breed in the garden so I’d get the yard treated to try and break the breeding cycle.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:19 AM

Are you in an old house?

Many years ago we had issues with fleas , despite treating the cats and doing a flea bomb in the house.

Turned out the little beggars were hiding in the dust in the joins in the floorboards in one particular spot where there were small gaps.

Try using a brush along any of the joins and see if any little jumping people appear.  Once I'd narrowed it down to that area, I just brushed out all of the gaps thoroughly then sprayed along the join, and the problem was solved.

If you want to find out whereabouts in your house the fleas are lurking, put a white dinner plate of water around in various spots.

We are all timber and now never have fleas, we don't even treat the two cats, just the dog.

#5 chicken_bits

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

Another Roomba user. We have two cats who shed fur like crazy. It does the job nicely.

#6 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

We have floorboards and tiles and our house seems to be in a very dusty area.

We have the basic ball dyson which I use weekly for a good clean and we have a stick vacuum for daily spot cleans.  This seems to be a good system.

Id love a Roomba, the inlaws have on on carpet and its fantastic. We have split level and too much lego everywhere for it to be a good idea here.

#7 chicken_bits

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 22 October 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

too much lego everywhere for it to be a good idea here.

Oh this is a reason why you SHOULD get one. It's a great incentive for our kids to pick up their lego because otherwise the Roomba will 'eat it'.

The split level is also easily fixed with the false barrier. We don't do our whole house at a time.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

Now I want a Roomba.  Wonder what the animals will think of it. I suspect the visiting schnautzer might want to have a word or two.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 22 October 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Wonder what the animals will think of it.

Our cat ignores it. The dog used to take no notice, but has recently taken to following it around barking at it. It's not normally an issue though because I schedule it for times when we are normally out and he is outside.

I will say that our new Roomba is not as good as the old one, which we replaced after 9 years of daily use. I'm not sure I'll replace this one with Roomba or a different brand.

#10 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

We have a robot as well, it goes on everyday, sometimes twice. Love love love it. It was well worth the $300 odd. It lasts for 3 hours 40 mins before returning to the charging station.

I also have a dust buster for quick spot cleans.

I recently purchased a wet and dry vacuum, and it's great for when I want a more detailed clean.

Oh, and our cat used to be scared of it, now he's fine unless Scully runs over his toes while he is eating !!

#11 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

Our dogs don’t pay the Roomba much attention. One of them would be belligerent and continue lying wherever she was and Roomba would just work around her. Our current boy is a sook and goes to his bed until Roomba is done.

We normally have it scheduled for 1am so the house is fresh each morning. We also have the mop that goes on once Roomba has vacuumed. The new Roomba doesn’t need virtual walls/barriers anymore. You just map out the space, designate rooms and you can tell it to just vacuum around the kitchen after breakfast and it won’t do the other areas.

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Dyson stick with the hard floor spinning fluffy head thing. Gets all the sand and dog hair off our hard floors. And carpets too. It’s all we use in between fortnightly Cleaner visits (she brings her own vacuum, think it’s an Electrolux)

#13 Wolf87

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Combo sounds awesome, I like vacuuming but not as often as I need to do it! Something satisfying about the noise it makes when sucking up the dust :rofl:

Would Roomba be the brand to buy?

I read a horror story once that freaked me out, if a cat did a poo or spew would the Roomba run over it, spread it around the house and wreck the Roomba? Doesn’t happen often but it does happen enough for me to worry....

can, on 22 October 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

Fleas breed in the garden so I’d get the yard treated to try and break the breeding cycle.

Thanks for this!!! I’ll get DH to get on that, the back yard is his domain!

born.a.girl, on 22 October 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Are you in an old house?

Many years ago we had issues with fleas , despite treating the cats and doing a flea bomb in the house.

Turned out the little beggars were hiding in the dust in the joins in the floorboards in one particular spot where there were small gaps.

Try using a brush along any of the joins and see if any little jumping people appear.  Once I'd narrowed it down to that area, I just brushed out all of the gaps thoroughly then sprayed along the join, and the problem was solved.

If you want to find out whereabouts in your house the fleas are lurking, put a white dinner plate of water around in various spots.

We are all timber and now never have fleas, we don't even treat the two cats, just the dog.

You might be on to something. We have fairly big gaps in between our floorboards that do collect dust. And there doesn’t seem to be any fleas on the cats!!!! Looks like I’ve found out what I’ll be doing with my days off this week, DD has conjunctivitis anyway so won’t be going anywhere! You may have solved my problem :)

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

Wolf87, on 22 October 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Combo sounds awesome, I like vacuuming but not as often as I need to do it! Something satisfying about the noise it makes when sucking up the dust :rofl:

Would Roomba be the brand to buy?

I read a horror story once that freaked me out, if a cat did a poo or spew would the Roomba run over it, spread it around the house and wreck the Roomba? Doesn’t happen often but it does happen enough for me to worry....

Thanks for this!!! I’ll get DH to get on that, the back yard is his domain!

You might be on to something. We have fairly big gaps in between our floorboards that do collect dust. And there doesn’t seem to be any fleas on the cats!!!! Looks like I’ve found out what I’ll be doing with my days off this week, DD has conjunctivitis anyway so won’t be going anywhere! You may have solved my problem :)

The fleas can come from rats under the house too. Or possums or birds in the roof. Delightful, isn’t it? Lol.

#15 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

Yes, I have a horror story of sick dog and Roomba. It was not pretty. We now run Roomba when we know there is no one in the room like overnight downstairs and the dog is kept upstairs with us.

As for brands, I’ve not tried any others so can’t compare. I’ve been happy with Roomba so haven’t wanted to try others either.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

In our case, there had been carpet down and the debris of 80 years had packed down in the crevices.  We'd vacuumed, but we mostly sweep and even a vacuum wouldn't work well on those spaces.   I really had to work hard with the bristles of the brush to dig out the gunge - and there were the little leaping people.

Let us know how you go.

#17 IamzFeralz

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

Another vote for a robot vacuum.  I recently got a Xiaomi Mi for $340 on eBay after seeing it highly recommended on the Whirlpool forums.  I was embarrassed at how much dust it picked up!  We have a dog and a cat and it has no trouble picking up the hairs.  I have a combo of tiles and timber floor.

It can connect to the wifi and you can set it to run remotely using your phone although I haven’t.

The kids were very impressed and we have named it “Dusty” LOL!

Edited by IamzFeralz, 22 October 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#18 lou246

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Another vote for xiaomi mi. Have one and love it

#19 can'tstayaway

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

The other great thing about the robots is that they go under beds where I don’t regularly vacuum.

A few years ago, my MIL tried to point out how bad a homemaker I was by pointing out dirty areas of the house (in a passive aggressive way) and she was sure under the beds would be dusty. They were near spotless 🤣 I can’t take credit for it but she didn’t know that. Ha ha ha.

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

Who are you crazy people who have floors clear enough for a robot vacuum to navigate, and no junk under your bed??? And enough space between furniture??
Robot vacuum would soooo not work in my house. Lol. Hell, I can barely walk safely from room to room sometimes.

#21 petit_manchot

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

Our roomba is a dusty piece of junk these days as it can’t cope with the shaggy rugs we bought after moving house.
We bought a dyson v8 and I’m really happy with it for the most part. It handles the dog hair and dust very well, and it’s light enough to manoeuvre on the stairs. The only thing I don’t really like is the way the canister empties, but I think that’s just a matter of getting used to it after so many years using a traditional vacuum.

#22 Mae55

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

We have all floorboards and split level house. We just got a stick vacuum and it’s great. We got the LG cord zero and we’re very happy. Looked at a robot but we’d have to move it around to different levels and so we got the stick instead.

#23 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

We use a Xioami downstairs on the floor boards. She is awesome.  :)

#24 Wolf87

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

~LemonMyrtle~, on 22 October 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

The fleas can come from rats under the house too. Or possums or birds in the roof. Delightful, isn’t it? Lol.

Ewwwww I hope that isn’t the case :rofl:

can, on 22 October 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

The other great thing about the robots is that they go under beds where I don’t regularly vacuum.

A few years ago, my MIL tried to point out how bad a homemaker I was by pointing out dirty areas of the house (in a passive aggressive way) and she was sure under the beds would be dusty. They were near spotless I can’t take credit for it but she didn’t know that. Ha ha ha.

I would fail that test! Guess I’d have to move all the crap under the bed!

For all recommending the Xiaomi, is the standard one what you are talking about or should I get the slightly more expensive ones? I’ll check out reviews but just to check what you guys are using.

https://www.pcmarket...mi-robot-vacuum

https://www.pcmarket...eaner-2nd-gen-a

#25 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

We have the basic Xiaomi. Bought off ebay from the seller they recommend on Whirlpool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.