"Seven ordered to pay compensation to House Rules contestant for ‘psychological’ injury"

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 katpaws

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

A former contestant who was portrayed as a “villain” on reality reno show House Rules has won a workers’ compensation case against Channel 7 for “psychological” injury.

The landmark ruling by the NSW Workers Compensation Commission found Nicole Prince was legally an employee of Seven, despite her contract with the network explicitly stating there was no employment relationship.

It is not clear how much money she will make from the ruling because the level compensation is yet to be decided. Regardless, the decision is likely to have far-reaching ramifications for reality TV shows filmed in Australia, with broadcasters and production companies open to similar workers compensation claims, and potentially liable for superannuation and payroll tax.

link

Interesting ruling. I wonder if this will impact on other reality tv shows?

Edited by katpaws, 22 October 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#2 steppy

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

I wonder if Ines is already on the phone to her lawyer. And Martha.

#3 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Wow.  Awesome.  MKR next?

#4 Chocolate Addict

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

I read that too, posted it in the reality tv post :p

I still don't understand how these people don't know the shows always make a person or team the villain team?

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm in two minds about this.

The first is: what were they thinking?  (The TV channel)

The second is: what were they thinking? (The contestants)

#6 Paddlepop

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

Those two women sure gave Channel 7 plenty of raw material to work with. Nasty stuff came out of their mouths. They behaved in crappy ways towards the other contestants.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

Good on her. Corporations in these circumstances have all the power. That doesn’t give them a right to use and discard people to make a buck.

#8 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

Hmm.  Laurelle  Bride and Prejudice.

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 22 October 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Hmm.  Laurelle  Bride and Prejudice.
yeah. She's certainly not being portrayed as level-headed, calm or reasonable (as much as she's trying when she's with the counsellor)

#10 Twinmum+2

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

I think this will have a big impact on reality tv... sets a very dangerous precedent.

#11 *Ker*

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:38 AM

No, not good on her. They didn't actually dub the horrible things that came out of that awful thing's mouth. She said them. She can wear the villain tag.

#12 Chocolate Addict

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

Tess and Luke from the block are sooking about being badly portrayed too. These people need to watch previous series' before applying. It is never sunshine and roses and there is always a villain team.

https://www.geelonga...9522e7187d48d9e

#13 MarigoldMadge

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

I assumed that these shows would have made every contestant sign waivers for exactly this reason.

#14 IamOzgirl

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

I think this will be very interesting.

If claims of manipulative editing are true. It will be a big game changer of reality TV.

Surely the compensation (if not settled before) court case will me full unedited footage will have to be shown.

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 23 October 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

I think this will be very interesting.

If claims of manipulative editing are true. It will be a big game changer of reality TV.

Surely the compensation (if not settled before) court case will me full unedited footage will have to be shown.

So we will be - literally - watching paint dry. :)

I must admit all of these reality shows are too slow for me. I'm too impatient, I just want to see the end result and who won.

I'm guilty of watching youtube aggregations of 'the best ten ...' in the talent shows.

#16 MooGuru

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

I wonder how far being badly portrayed could go?
Just thinking of someone on a quiz show getting a question obviously wrong or completely stuffing up. My dad and I often comment about how many teachers seem to go on tv quiz shows determined to prove their own stupidity and whether it impacts how their students/colleagues view/treat them.

I'm torn about this. On the one hand blatant editing to make someone into a villian and not addressing the subsequent cyber bullying is definitely not ok.
On the other where does personal responsibility lie?
If I've understood correctly she's not denying she said the stuff, she's saying it wasn't tempered with the positive things she had to say.

*I didn't see the show and have no clue who she is.

#17 Gumbette

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

View Post*Ker*, on 23 October 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

No, not good on her. They didn't actually dub the horrible things that came out of that awful thing's mouth. She said them. She can wear the villain tag.

Dubbing can't alter your horrible facial expressions when describing the work of the other contestants.

#18 steppy

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

I think if you're stupid enough to say really dreadful things about others on tv and think you're hot stuff for saying it, nobody can help you.

With any luck at all, this will put paid to all reality tv shows and the various people who think they have a case or are likely to have a case if cast will never be seen on public tv again.

Maybe MAFS would have run without Jessika, Cyrell, Martha, Suzie, Billy, Mike, Ines, Dan and Sam. Would have been so much better and we wouldn't STILL be hearing about these tragics.

Edited by steppy, 23 October 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#19 **Xena**

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

I don't know many details about this particular case but I'm inclined to say good on her and I hope this makes more reality tv series take responsibility for their actions. The support for these people before, during and after their TV appearances seems to be non-existent.

I've heard a lot of reports about people being scripted into being the nasty ones- threatened into saying the things the TV station wants them to say and to be the villains of their show. Most of these TV Shows are very heavily scripted. Then these people leave after thinking and feeling they were in a 'fake world' to be confronted with the very real world alone. The TV Station then just leaves them to deal with the bullying and death threats from the general public.

#20 But seriously

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

Madness. I hate reality TV shows other than the great Australian bake off but really contestants know full well what they are signing up to - and these Z-graders cant claim otherwise

My brother was on a reality TV show - in the UK - and the only thing that did surprise him was the 12-hour filming to get 30 mins of footage.

#21 steppy

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

I forgot about this one. Didn't take her long to figure out she could get her head on the news again.

https://www.news.com...ebafb6118da15b9

#22 Chocolate Addict

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 23 October 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

I don't know many details about this particular case but I'm inclined to say good on her and I hope this makes more reality tv series take responsibility for their actions. The support for these people before, during and after their TV appearances seems to be non-existent.

I've heard a lot of reports about people being scripted into being the nasty ones- threatened into saying the things the TV station wants them to say and to be the villains of their show. Most of these TV Shows are very heavily scripted. Then these people leave after thinking and feeling they were in a 'fake world' to be confronted with the very real world alone. The TV Station then just leaves them to deal with the bullying and death threats from the general public.

I have heard that too, but people are that keen on their 15 minutes of fame they don't care. It definitely isn't about the money in most cases. Maybe on the house ones where there is big money but the relationship shows they only get an average pay but get their faces on TV.
How many on cooking shows have gone on to have their own shows or be regulars? Hell, Andy from MC is  one of the new host.

They want to be on tv but don't research or prepare for the worst. I have little sympathy for them.

#23 WaitForMe

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostTwinmum+2, on 22 October 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

I think this will have a big impact on reality tv... sets a very dangerous precedent.

A dangerous precedent to what?

Now they have called out they are in an employer/employee relationship, it reminds me alot of workplace hazing. But worse.

How do people feel about that? They knew what they were getting in to? Its part of the job?

#24 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

View Post*Ker*, on 23 October 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

This my feeling on it. She said it, if you don't want the villain tag don't play to it.
Also, you have to be thick as bricks to know these shows have a formula, yet she still decided to apply and play along and still say the stuff she did

#25 steppy

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 23 October 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

A dangerous precedent to what?

Now they have called out they are in an employer/employee relationship, it reminds me alot of workplace hazing. But worse.

How do people feel about that? They knew what they were getting in to? Its part of the job?

Not even remotely similar. A job is something you have to have a lot of the time. 15 minutes of fame as a reality tv contestant is completely a choice, as is going along with whatever they think will get you 30 minutes of fame instead, and a lot of the time, they are the ones doing the bullying and catcalling while on set, and then they don't like the public backlash. What the public thinks of you is not a workplace issue.

Their victims should claim compensation for their actions while on the show. That has a much bigger claim to being workplace based trauma.

Cripes, imagine if actors who took on villain roles could claim compensation for any public dislike as a result. There goes the entire entertainment industry. (Not that I put reality tv contestants in the same league as actual acting jobs)

Edited by steppy, 23 October 2019 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.