One Born Every Minute Australia

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Zeppelina

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:52 PM

Anyone else watch tonight? I caught literally the last two minutes and was already bawling! (Will have to grab a box of tissues and watch the rest on catch-up)

#2 Lees75

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

Yep - I'm in SA, so still watching, and currently bawling my eyes out! So precious

#3 Silver Girl

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:02 PM

I missed it. What channel and time is it on?

#4 Zeppelina

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostSilver Girl, on 22 October 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

I missed it. What channel and time is it on?
It's on Ten, at 8.30pm.

#5 Steggles66

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

I just caught the end and got sucked in! Does anyone know who the narrator is? The voice is so familiar but I just can't pinpoint it.

#6 Lees75

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostSteggles66, on 22 October 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

I just caught the end and got sucked in! Does anyone know who the narrator is? The voice is so familiar but I just can't pinpoint it.
Jane Hall :)

#7 Steggles66

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostLees75, on 22 October 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

Jane Hall :)

Thank you Lees75!

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Oh I just loved the UK one but I’m not sure I’ll be able to watch the Aus one just yet. Longing for a 3rd baby (which is very very unlikely) is quite strong right now and I feel sad and deeply nostalgic when I see pregnant women and newborns. Can’t do it to myself!

#9 premmie

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

How amazing was the breech birth :)

#10 blueskies12

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Lou-bags, on 22 October 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

Oh I just loved the UK one but I’m not sure I’ll be able to watch the Aus one just yet. Longing for a 3rd baby (which is very very unlikely) is quite strong right now and I feel sad and deeply nostalgic when I see pregnant women and newborns. Can’t do it to myself!
I loved watching the UK one, I would be interested if the Australian one is as good.
Although, I can't bring myself to watch it.I am feeling exactly the same way Lou-Bags. Please know that you aren't alone. I am also having trouble on seeing such type threads on EB.

Edited by blueskies12, 31 October 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#11 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

premmie, on 31 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Yes! I am going to use it as a training tool - "hands off the breech".

It was so great to see it so happen so relatively unassisted.

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

I find it fascinating that people actually want to watch other people giving birth, I dont even like seeing the ads lol. So couldn’t be a midwife.

#13 Paddlepop

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:19 PM

premmie, on 31 October 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

It was awesome. I'm glad that it wasn't treated as an automatic C section by the hospital and they helped her to give birth naturally.

I'm enjoying the show. It's good to see the Australian version of it.

#14 Lees75

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

My 13 yr old DD has gotten in to it! I told her it would put her off having kids forever, but she said it has made her clucky - lol!  I cry ALL the time watching TV, and she always laughs at me, but this show even made her teary, which pleased me :)

#15 DogsLife

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

I have been watching this and enjoying it.  I too get so teary.

My DD12 watched some of it with me the other night and I wondered if she should be watching it but turned into her asking lots and lots of questions which was good as when I try and talk about puberty, periods etc she doesn't really want to know.

#16 littlepickle

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

My DD 16 and DS14 are enjoying watching the Australian version. I think they have edited well and have selected a good cross section of birth stories.
I loved the water birth with the multigenerational support of the mother and her partner. This was a lot like my own experience.
I wonder how many of the older midwives opted to not be filmed - so far they only appear to be showing midwives in their 20’s and 30’s where the average age of the workforce is closer to 50.

#17 Ozquoll

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

^^^^
I wondered about this too - I thought midwives must just be an unusually young and attractive bunch 😆!

My favourite 'characters', if I can say that, were the hilariously uninhibited cleaning lady, and the older male obstetrician who spoke about how he tried to give the same care he hoped his wife and daughters would receive if they were giving birth.

One thing that always makes me feel a bit ...different...is how nearly all the participants say that they couldn't have got through labour without having their partner in the room with them. I was the exact opposite - DH is a fainter so we didn't want him going anywhere near blood, and I cope with pain by turning inwards, and I knew having him (or any other family) there with me would just distract me. I wonder if the midwife thought that odd? 🤔

#18 Zeppelina

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 01 November 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

One thing that always makes me feel a bit ...different...is how nearly all the participants say that they couldn't have got through labour without having their partner in the room with them. I was the exact opposite - DH is a fainter so we didn't want him going anywhere near blood, and I cope with pain by turning inwards, and I knew having him (or any other family) there with me would just distract me. I wonder if the midwife thought that odd?
My DH is not a fainter and is fine with blood, but I totally get your feelings - I pushed DH away (literally at one point, lol) and told him to sit in the corner when he asked what I wanted him to do! We'd done all the training on massage, etc, but honestly I just wanted to be left alone to do my own thing.

#19 MooGuru

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 01 November 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

My DH is not a fainter and is fine with blood, but I totally get your feelings - I pushed DH away (literally at one point, lol) and told him to sit in the corner when he asked what I wanted him to do! We'd done all the training on massage, etc, but honestly I just wanted to be left alone to do my own thing.
I anticipated I'd be like that then actually quite appreciated having DH there. I'd sworn beforehand that if I went into labour whilst he was at work I'd text him (no phone reception) so he'd only find out when he was done for the day.
Was probably lucky that he was home when it happened given how much I liked having him there

#20 Ellie bean

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:50 PM

^^ my friend had everyone including her FIL in there, that seems weirder to me than kicking your husband out- I’m sure they’ve seen it all and nothing seems odd!
I thought I wouldn’t want DH in there, as it turns out he was amazing and I really needed him but yep I had prewarned him I might need him out
Eta snap mooguru same here

Edited by Ellie bean, 01 November 2019 - 10:51 PM.

#21 EmmaFY

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

I love this show but seem to always miss it!

A girlfriend likened watching this show while pregnant to watching Air Crash Investigation before boarding a plane.

#22 Lallalla

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

View PostEmmaFY, on 01 November 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

A girlfriend likened watching this show while pregnant to watching Air Crash Investigation before boarding a plane.

I watched heaps of (the English version of) this show just before my first was born. I was fascinated. But when I was pregnant 2nd time I couldn’t stand it...

#23 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 31 October 2019 - 11:11 PM, said:

I find it fascinating that people actually want to watch other people giving birth, I dont even like seeing the ads lol. So couldn’t be a midwife.

I read so much about birth with each of my pregnancies, for various reasons, that Ive had enough of that topic to last me a lifetime  :D

For the same reason I got bored of call the midwife even though its a lovely show.

It sounds like OBEM is doing a good job of educating people who wouldn't otherwise hear much sbout the process though so good on them

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 02 November 2019 - 08:07 PM.

#24 Mozzie1

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostEmmaFY, on 01 November 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

I watched it a lot before my first was born. I'm sure it contributed to my feelings of disappointment at my failed induction and emergency c section. It wasn't the beautiful birth at all that I expected.

#25 JustSanta100

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

Oh my heart. Jolly and Jasmine are so sweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.