Spin-off - would you move to get away from bad neighbours?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Ozquoll

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

A couple of posts/threads about bad neighbourly relations have made me wonder if people would move to get away from bad neighbours? I have been incredibly lucky with neighbours so far (fingers crossed, touch wood 🤞) but my sister has hit the anti-jackpot - she has an unpleasant neighbouring couple who she's been in a nasty fence dispute with for several years, an alcoholic neighbour who randomly prunes her garden without asking, and an unsavoury elderly neighbour who takes a bit too much interest in her 6yo daughter. If I was in her shoes I think I'd move house 😳!

#2 Kaz83

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:32 PM

We did.

We found more bad neighbours.

*sigh*

#3 steppy

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

Yes. Yes I would. If they were bad enough and especially if they owned.

#4 Emm27

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:49 PM

Yep, we did. We were related to them though so had an even bigger incentive to get away! Lol

Did us a massive favor actually - we bought a much bigger house in a neighboring suburb just as the property market here skyrocketed - we rented out our first house and sold it for what we paid for the second 12 months later.

#5 mm1981

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

I have been lucky to have good neighbours but I imagine I wouldn't.

But, I don't know, some of the stuff that EB complains about regarding neighbours seems pretty petty at times.  There was a whole thread once about a neighbour wheeling a bin past her place ONCE A WEEK.  I imagine people that find that and other petty things irritating, they probably will find fault elsewhere they live.

#6 bandbub

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

if i was renting then yes i probably would it would be a lot easier than selling a house
i have to say though ive been really lucky and had great neighbours over the years i think we stayed in a rental for an extra year before we bought our house because we loved our neighbours

#7 Caribou

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:12 AM

I did. We were six months into a home we’d purchased. We loved neighbours. But new neighbour bought up next door. He was neighbour from hell. My mental health do so bad from his antics. My husband and I almost divorced. We sold up the house at a loss after a year and now we’re In a new neighbourhood with gorgeously kind neighbours.

I Still get triggered by Certain prolonged noises at times. But I’m in a much better place.

Edited by Caribou, 24 October 2019 - 04:13 AM.

#8 BornToLove

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:16 AM

We have one neighbour who has a fluffy white dog that they leave to bark outside most days (when they are at work). The thing yaps all day long, non stop, to the point where his bark is noticeably horse.

I’ve called council more times than I care to admit. It gets better for a while, but then they stop using the bark collar and we go back to yapping all day. I have considered moving to get away from this dog. We haven’t only because the house is perfect in every other way, that it would be foolish to leave. However, when we do move, this dog will be a huge motivator for doing so.

#9 Rummonkey

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:16 AM

Caribou I’m like you- we moved due to horrendous neighbours. I’m still triggered by certain noises 2 years later. My mental health took a huge nose dive living next door to our neighbours from hell. Now in a quieter neighborhood. One neighbour (the landlord) is a complete a$$hole BUT is quiet and fortunately doesn’t live there. It’s made me want to live in a rural setting far far away from people.

#10 BadCat

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:28 AM

Depends how bad the neighbours are.

Also, easier if you're renting.  It's an expensive exercise for a home owner so it'd have to be a pretty extreme situation before I'd consider it.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

View Postmm1981, on 23 October 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

But, I don't know, some of the stuff that EB complains about regarding neighbours seems pretty petty at times.  There was a whole thread once about a neighbour wheeling a bin past her place ONCE A WEEK.  I imagine people that find that and other petty things irritating, they probably will find fault elsewhere they live.

I can't even remember what I thought about that one, but this is a classic case of people agreeing or disagreeing with something based on their own version of the facts.

There was a LOT more to that case than 'wheeling a bin past her place once a week'.   Justified in her complaint or not, that wasn't actually the issue.

Using minimising language of course makes it sound ridiculous.

#12 WaitForMe

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

We own so its not so simple.

But moving does seem easier than dealing with our next door neighbours sometimes...

#13 gracie1978

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

I worked with the neighbour on the other side of our bad neighbours to get them evicted.

We contacted the property manager weekly with updates on their behaviour.

Life is so much easier now.

If they had owned the property we would have moved.  They used to sit outside our houses and conduct their illegal activities.  We didn't want to risk anyone thinking they lived in our house and targeting us e.g a drive by shooting

#14 reachforthestars

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

I did. We lived for 2 years with a lovely neighbour but then she moved.
New ones threatened and harassed me, intimidated, harrassed and swore at my children, ripped down our fence, played loud music day and night with lyrics designed to scare us, killed my fruit trees, put cctv up at their place but pointing straight at my house.  It got so so bad we couldn't go outside. Moved as far away and as fast as we could.

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:04 AM

we own so i would grin and bear it for as long as i could. we don’t really talk to one set of neighbours at all. the previous owner of our house - who we purchased it from - did a massive reno- extensions - up, out. it did massively impact both sets of neighbours and the ones who we don’t talk to took him to the Land and Environment Court - they ultimately lost - and then he sold the house - to us. it had nothing to do with us...we just purchased a newly renovated house, but i think they resent us even so....

#16 Ayr

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:07 AM

Yes we did. We owned they bought after us. And it was a duplex with shared driveway. So we sold and moved. We now have neighbours across the road I don't particularly like but they rent so they'll be gone soon enough. The house has had 3 different people in it since we moved 6 years ago so they'll move on soon.
The other neighbours we have we don't really talk to but they aren't bad neighbours as such. But I'd move again if we had to.

Edited by Ayr, 24 October 2019 - 06:08 AM.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:17 AM

Barking dogs etc is a salutary lesson in why it's worth visiting  a house outside the opening hours if you can. Fortunately we weren't moving that far, and my work involved a lot of being out on the road.

At the open, the dog next door was doing quite a bit of barking. REA assured us all it was only because there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing going on, and the dog didn't normally bark so much.

I did a few drive byes at different times of the say, and sure enough, relentless barking from the dog.  Could even have been the reason they were selling.

Given I also spend a significant portion of the day working from home, that place was ruled out.

I don't know what I would have done if it had been our dream home though.

#18 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:40 AM

We have the neighbour from hell. She actually attacked me physically after I called the council and strata on her German shepherd/ great Dane that would bark all day. Strata rules state no dogs taller then knee height.

She has sex orgies, plays loud music, has a yard full of rabbits that she breeds, does drugs.

She is the sister of the owner who used to live there and is lovely.

We are planning to move interstate in a few years so am holding off moving until then.

#19 Silver Girl

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:51 AM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 24 October 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

Strata rules state no dogs taller then knee height.

I’m intrigued by your username, in light of your post!

#20 ~J_F~

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

View Postmm1981, on 23 October 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

That thread was so crazy... people are very precious about their wheelie bins!

It would have to be pretty bad for us to move but for all I know we are the neighbours from hell. Our house has a lot of screaming and yelling (due to ASD), I imagine the neighbours hear!

#21 Jane Jetson

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

We are the bad neighbours apparently... it appears that it's very poor form to ask nicely if they could turn the bass down when they've parked the ute in the back yard to listen to music all day every day! You'd think a 60-something couple would be more grown up, but no.

I wish they'd move to get away from us! I can only dream... (and make jokes to DH about voodoo dolls and learning to play the drums!)

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 24 October 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

That thread was so crazy... people are very precious about their wheelie bins!

It would have to be pretty bad for us to move but for all I know we are the neighbours from hell. Our house has a lot of screaming and yelling (due to ASD), I imagine the neighbours hear!

I went to a 'school' morning tea at a house one day - in light of the other thread, it's worth mentioning that it was an expensive house in an expensive neighbourhood.

They'd not long been there when she had a chat to the neighbours, saying she hoped their three kids weren't making too much noise - as you do, almost invariably getting a friendly and reassuring reply.

Instead these neighbours responded with 'we've learnt to keep the windows closed'.

#23 annodam

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:42 AM

So far touch wood, my neighbours have been pleasant & friendly, one former neighbour has become a very dear friend.

#24 AnaBeavenhauser

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

I was very close to upping my family and moving, I own and the renters next door(daughter of the owner) were just awful and my mental health was suffering. She was verbally (and I am pretty sure physically) abusive to her children and husband and even her normal speaking voice was a scream. Police and Doc's were called to the house all the time.
The thing that put me off moving was knowing that for the open homes, potential buyers or renters would hear the very reason we were moving on and I would never be able to sell it or rent it.
Eventually her father got the police involved an they were forcibly moved out of the house. The whole street was suffering, everyone breathed a sigh of relief when that happened and we have gone back to the quiet street we once were.
I often think of those children and hope that someone is protecting them.

#25 Hands Up

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

We did. They were horrendous. Open homes were so stressful because I thought they would try and sabotage us. Luckily that didn’t happen. The new people put the house back on the market 20 months later so I’d say they had the same issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.